ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Planting a Palmetto tree

titaniumspur

Sep 16, 2006
I want to plant one in my front yard, but I don't want it to get huge. I never see 4 foot palmetto trees for sale at Lowes or Home Depot. Are there smaller varieties ? Where do you buy them? Also, I guess I should plant it in the fall. Any good advice will be appreciated.

Where are you located?? That plays a large part because too far north, don't think they will make it.
If in the Columbia/Lexington area, check some of the places that sell landscape stuff (sand, rock, bark, etc). There is a place on North Lake in Lexington that carries some different size and/or species. Some tall, some of the shorter types.

Do you have an irrigation system? I was told that palms respond better to regular watering when newly planted and they like to have water all the way to the top.

If you have a newly dug well on a channel lot like those in North Myrtle Beach, make sure you didn't tap salt water instead of fresh water. THEY WILL DIE!! Especially after getting about three feet of water in the yard (and house) from the hurricane last year.

Here;s a link: http://www.palmantics.com/palms/palm_pics.php

Last edited:
Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
Where are you located?? That plays a large part because too far north, don't think they will make it.
If in the Columbia/Lexington area, check some of the places that sell landscape stuff (sand, rock, bark, etc). There is a place on North Lake in Lexington that carries some different size and/or species. Some tall, some of the shorter types.

Do you have an irrigation system? I was told that palms respond better to regular watering when newly planted and they like to have water all the way to the top.

If you have a newly dug well on a channel lot like those in North Myrtle Beach, make sure you didn't tap salt water instead of fresh water. THEY WILL DIE!! Especially after getting about three feet of water in the yard (and house).

Thanks for the great link and info. I'm in the Florence area, so not much concern about salt water or spray.

They will not die in northern county's. You don't need a lot of water for growth. Check nurserys for palms.

I want to plant one in my front yard, but I don't want it to get huge. I never see 4 foot palmetto trees for sale at Lowes or Home Depot. Are there smaller varieties ? Where do you buy them? Also, I guess I should plant it in the fall. Any good advice will be appreciated.

Get a Dwarf Palmetto (Sabal Etonia) instead of a Sabal Palmetto. I have a Sabal Palmetto in Columbia and it's done well. I also have Mexican Fan Palms, Pindo Palms and Chinese Windmill Palms. I have lost some MFPs and CWPs through the years, but my Palmetto has stayed strong. They are relatively cold hardy.

Reactions: Silverspur02
I have 2. Go to any local nursery and they'll likely have them. I wouldn't ever mess around with getting some thing like that at Lowes or Home Depot.

Nothing against anyone that works at a national retail store, but would you rather buy from a landscaper or nusery that the person running it has lived and died that kind of work. Or would you like to get helped by someone who probably has a job at a retail store as part time making some extra money and isn't all that skilled in trees and plants like a local owner would be

I have never seen a Sabal Palm, Palmetto, anywhere except a nursery. Lowes sells some palms, but Palmettos weigh, on everage, 100 pounds per vertical foot. I planted two eight footers in Conway two years ago. Moving 800 pound trees into place is quit a feat in June. The basics are do not plant too deep, they will suffocate. The top part of the root ball will need to be at or near the surface with some mulch covering it to retain water and protect against the sun. And yes, they need almost daily water the first year to promote root growth and to survive the summer if you plant soon. I paid 160 bucks a piece, so 320. If I had the nursery plant them, I was looking at about 300 per tree or 600 bucks. I was on a tight budget at the time so I worked by rear end off to get them moved and planted. Use the nursery if you can afford - by all means! They don't come in seeds, seedlings, or smaller than 8 feet from all my research. There is something unique to them that makes it difficult to transplant until well established. I tried with some natural seedlings that I collected.

If you don't want them to grow too high or too fast, plant them in as much shade as possible. I have two on my property that were there before I cleared the land... both in the shade, both the same size. I transplanted one out of the shade and into 100% sun about 15 years ago. The one in the shade is about 8 ft. tall now... the one in the sun is close to 20 ft. The short one looks as healthy as the tall one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silverspur02
You can use Google map to see my house (4021 Trenholm Road Columbia). The palm on the left front was a dwarf I planted 12 years ago. I bought it at a charity auction for around $75. It is around 5 1/2 feet tall now; it was 3 feet tall when I got it. The big palm on the right I paid $300 for about 15 years ago. That included them bringing it out and digging the hole with an auger and planting it. It was around 9 feet tall when planted. You should consider the larger tree because it will add value to your property.

Seriously, go on-line and research the tree you are considering. It ain't brain surgery but learning about them from the beginning saves you time, energy, and cash, without killing your tree within the first 90 days. It will also help you find a good place to make your purchase.

In my 5th of month of Flame Grapefruit (Sweetest), Valencia (Juiciest & the orange that made Florida Famous) and Washington Orange (Yankees call 'em Navals and dumbasses call 'em California) trees and Pineapples. Bought my citrus trees on-line and couldn't be more impressed with the quality of trees (approx 3 ft and 3 years old) grafted. Paid $25 per, shipped in plastic bags inside cardboard boxes, no dirt, pre-pruned, shipped @ $25 + $5 for each additional tree after the first. PLANT THE DAY OF RECEIPT OR THE DAY AFTER, so don't fart around making decisions until you get them, know what you're going to do.

These same trees would cost $90- $150+ at local nurseries, Lowes & the Dee Pot. Mine are also Florida Registered and certified (involves disease control).

I use Bright Leaf Nurseries outside of Tampa, don't know if they handle Palmetto trees. FYI .... Outside of Carolina they are most often called by other names than Palmetto trees (They are listed as PALMS} so research them using the other names also.
Good Luck and Go Gamecocks.

Other Palmetto tree names:

Sabal Palm
Cabbage Palm
Blue Palm, Blue Cabbage Palm and Blue Sabal Palm
There were a few others but, these are what you meant by Palmetto tree.

You can use Google map to see my house (4021 Trenholm Road Columbia). The palm on the left front was a dwarf I planted 12 years ago. I bought it at a charity auction for around $75. It is around 5 1/2 feet tall now; it was 3 feet tall when I got it. The big palm on the right I paid $300 for about 15 years ago. That included them bringing it out and digging the hole with an auger and planting it. It was around 9 feet tall when planted. You should consider the larger tree because it will add value to your property.
Both your trees look great, and your property does too. I could probably get away with the bigger variety, although it will be in full sun.

Reactions: mavcock
Both your trees look great, and your property does too. I could probably get away with the bigger variety, although it will be in full sun.
Thanks, man. I have had more people than I can remember stop me when I was cutting grass to compliment me on the big tree. It really does add value to the property. And it shaded me a little when I had a weight room in the sunroom behind it.

The one nearest the street looks like a Chinese Windmill Palm; the one close the the house is almost certainly a Sabal Palmetto (our state tree).

Reactions: mavcock

If you have a newly dug well on a channel lot like those in North Myrtle Beach, make sure you didn't tap salt water instead of fresh water. THEY WILL DIE!! Especially after getting about three feet of water in the yard (and house) from the hurricane last year.

How far north?

I lost 5 when I built my home in N. Myrtle. Landscape company refused to replace saying I should have watered in the top. Since I lived 3 hours away at the time that was difficult. Maybe watering in the top would have saved them. A thought for you.

Needle Palm

needle1_op_800x600.jpg

European Fan Palm

791282d6ea47068ba201ece13409f806.jpg
5867-European-Fan-Palm.jpg

Sago (Not technically a palm, but still gorgeous)

Sago-3.jpg

I have 5 Sabal Palmettos by the pool and they have all done well. Bought them from a nursery in John's Island ten years ago. First three years, I watered them generously and put down 4 vitamin spikes around each Palmetto. Also a pair of Washingtonia and two Pindo Palms. Wish I didn't get the Washingtonia. They were about 10 ft when planted, now they are close to 30 ft and have to hire a guy with a bucket truck to trim them every year.

If anyone wants (for free) two healthy Sabal Palmettos and have the means to dig and transport them, give me a shout. I hate the thought of chopping them down. They are beautiful.

To me unless you live on the coast they appear to commercial to me especially in Columbia

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT