ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Question for FGF

Harvard Gamecock

May 5, 2014
How is it possible, I thread I started about poachers getting trampled by Elephants, (good for the Elephants) turned political and then got locked after only 8 posts.
Come on people, not every thread needs to be interjected with one's political point of view.. And please, don't start with the " well the other side started it".
So many complain about a lack of civility on social media and then engage in the behavior they just criticized right here on this forum. .
My apologies for my diatribe, just had to get it off my chest.

Interesting. I had not seen your thread, but a couple other overtly political threads have been allowed to rage on for page after page. I assumed the mods just let up on moderating political threads for a while since there wasn't much to discuss about Gamecock sports.

Reactions: king ward
Harvard, some people just can't seem to help themselves. I'm pretty staunch in my political leanings (won't even mention direction here), but I can certainly have enough self-control to NOT interject into a non-political discussion. I haven't always been good about it, but have gotten much better. Maybe it comes down to maturity.

There is an outfit in Georgia that studies the relationship between something they call social mood and investing. The field of study is called Socionomics. When the social mood metrics are at a certain point, you can say something innocuous and it will start a conflict.

That's too bad. I kept meaning to go back and read the story, but never got around to it. I hope all those poachers catch something terminal.

Reactions: rogue cock
Like you, i thought it was good old fashioned karma coming down.
I wish for more civility too. Some have their agendas and refuse to acknowledge that there might be other points. Some play the race card. A few play it without ceasing. Some play the Trump card. The man is not president. Let him go. Biden is President. Many including myself Dont like it but we live with it.

Agree there was no reason for that thread (or most) to go down a political path. Judging from the deleted post, I'm thinking that one was locked less because it turned political, to the extent it did, but because a poster implied specific individuals should meet a similar fate as the poacher. It's hard for moderators to turn a blind eye to that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 92Pony
Agree there was no reason for that thread (or most) to go down a political path. Judging from the deleted post, I'm thinking that one was locked less because it turned political, to the extent it did, but because a poster implied specific individuals should meet a similar fate as the poacher. It's hard for moderators to turn a blind eye to that.
I'm not blaming the moderators, but no doubt it was for someone wishing death. upon an individual.
I really believed that the thread was and would remain innocuous.
Either wishful or naive thinking on my part.

The Presstitutes continue to have everyone whipped up into a profitable frenzy and they take it out on social media.

So looking forward to watching CNN, FOX, MSNBC etc. crumble.
It's a problem when so many people support a "team" and feel they cannot criticize that team, because if they do they are giving credibility to the other team. The media certainly has a part in creating these teams.

Last edited:
It's a problem when so many people support a "team" and feel they cannot that team, because if they do they are giving credibility to the other team. The media certainly has a part in creating these teams.
It seems incredulous to me that people find it impossible to be able to have 2 divergent thoughts on one subject. You know, analytical thought process.

I think you have two problems.

1) As stated above everyone has to have a team and apparently the belief is there are only two options. Any potential grain of thought outside of what has been approved by your favorite talking head is wrong and immediately puts you on the other team.

2) Someone always has to take it to the extreme. This is typically the most closed minded of people who when told something against their talking head mandated opinion must launch an attack no matter how off point or pointless.

Seems in some cases it might be better to just delete a post and the associated posts but it’s probably not worth the time and effort on a free board.

2) Someone always has to take it to the extreme. This is typically the most closed minded of people who when told something against their talking head mandated opinion must launch an attack no matter how off point or pointless.
This times 1000!!! Boggles my mind.

I guess most of y'all missed the overt message of the original post (assuredly not intended to be overt in that regard), but to some of the idiots out there they saw "Republicans kill a black man". Elephants trample to death a (native African) poacher.

It's a problem when so many people support a "team" and feel they cannot criticize that team, because if they do they are giving credibility to the other team. The media certainly has a part in creating these teams.
It’s like the fellow golfers I play with about the flagstick,some want it in some want it out or they get upset.me personally I can care less.I was asked in our 2 some last week if I wanted it out,I told him what ever he wanted,long as there is a hole in the ground.I told him I’m going to be about the most indifferent person he is going to meet.That goes for a lot of subjects.

Reactions: SCexpat38
I guess most of y'all missed the overt message of the original post (assuredly not intended to be overt in that regard), but to some of the idiots out there they saw "Republicans kill a black man". Elephants trample to death a (native African) poacher.
200.gif

Reactions: Dizzy01
Is that what was really intended or is that a case of someone *looking* for something over which to be offended?? (That never even occurred to me, reading the OP.)

How is it possible, I thread I started about poachers getting trampled by Elephants, (good for the Elephants) turned political and then got locked after only 8 posts.
Come on people, not every thread needs to be interjected with one's political point of view.. And please, don't start with the " well the other side started it".
So many complain about a lack of civility on social media and then engage in the behavior they just criticized right here on this forum. .
My apologies for my diatribe, just had to get it off my chest.
You gave em the opening🤣 😂 😂
Only a slice of daylight is needed.

LOL, Elephants equates to Republicans, Donkey equates to Democrats. Hello, this association has been established for generations. It's a natural association. Ask for word associated with Republican, one of the most obvious would be Elephant.

NOTE!! I noted that assuredly that was NOT the OP'd intent. Just pointing out that idiots reach idiotic conclusions everyday on here. People are continuously surprised by the political tangents closing threads, but we see it everyday.

LOL, Elephants equates to Republicans, Donkey equates to Democrats. Hello, this association has been established for generations. It's a natural association. Ask for word associated with Republican, one of the most obvious would be Elephant.

NOTE!! I noted that assuredly that was NOT the OP'd intent. Just pointing out that idiots reach idiotic conclusions everyday on here. People are continuously surprised by the political tangents closing threads, but we see it everyday.
Since I am indeed the OP ( on both threads ), I can assure there was no "6 degrees of Kevin Bacon" let alone intent :D

Reactions: ruffledfeathers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT