ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Snow in WNC. I know there are a couple of posters on GCC that have 2nd homes in WNC. While it was warm during

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
Christmas we are going to get a lot of snow in the next few days. I'm sure you are aware of the snow forecast but just a reminder that you make want to make plans for a weekend trip.

Last edited:
Christmas we are going to get a lot of snow in the next few days. I'm sure you are aware of the snow forecast but just a reminder that you make want to make plans for a weekend trip,
Y'all gonna get hammered up there. Be safe. Mauldin will get the dreaded trifecta of freezing rain, sleet and snow. I expect to be homebound until Wednesday.

• Wow
Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
A lot of 2nd homes for South Carolinians are in Gatlinburg...Most of the families I grew up with in Greer area had places at Myrtle Beach & Gatlinburg...the usual tourist traps...
Yeah. Those are not my scene. I’m more of a Roan Mountain kinda guy. Currently wife and I are saving towards a goal of buying a mountain home.

And here in Columbia, the snow repeller, the snow that started below us in forecasts has now lifted way north. The Euro and GFS continue to drive warm air up the backside of the system. It's iffy on upstate and Charlotte amounts, if any, but if you bet everything you own and the neighbors kids it won't snow a flake south of I20, I think you would have a good chance of winning.

Reactions: myrtlecock
And here in Columbia, the snow repeller, the snow that started below us in forecasts has now lifted way north. The Euro and GFS continue to drive warm air up the backside of the system. It's iffy on upstate and Charlotte amounts, if any, but if you bet everything you own and the neighbors kids it won't snow a flake south of I20, I think you would have a good chance of winning.

It's been years since any meaningful snowfall in the Columbia area.

It's interesting that every-time it gets really cold there, it's also super dry.

Yeah. Those are not my scene. I’m more of a Roan Mountain kinda guy. Currently wife and I are saving towards a goal of buying a mountain home.
Same here but cabin prices have skyrocketed in the last three years. Are you a view type of guy or would you rather be on/near running water?

A beautiful spot, I believe it was 2 acres just came open right outside of Roan Mountain State Park...It can get bitter cold up there in Roan Mountain TN...

I just looked it up..It's being auctioned...over 2 acres to build a cabin/house,etc

Bidding Link: https://swanayproperties.hibid.com/catalog/335965/herm-barnett-road-auction/

Property Video: https://video214.com/play/Xr5wJdjWeQIx1Srm65KwwA/s/dark

Ooopppps just realized auction has ended...looks like a little over 2 acres sold for 65K...not a bad price for beautiful buildable mountain land...

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
My stepdad may sell his cabin in Flag Pond, TN right on the TN/NC border off I-26 at Sam's Gap/Wolf Laurel....he's wanting to move into Erwin, 5 minutes away to be in town to walk to YMCA, downtown and grocery stores...

He's 81 and drives back and forth from Greer to Flag Pond every other weekend...about an hour and 35 minute drive from door to door....

I'll put it out to this forum when he does decide to sell...the moutain views of Sam's Gap are priceless....

Reactions: caughtlookin
My stepdad may sell his cabin in Flag Pond, TN right on the TN/NC border off I-26 at Sam's Gap/Wolf Laurel....he's wanting to move into Erwin, 5 minutes away to be in town to walk to YMCA, downtown and grocery stores...

He's 81 and drives back and forth from Greer to Flag Pond every other weekend...about an hour and 35 minute drive from door to door....

I'll put it out to this forum when he does decide to sell...the moutain views of Sam's Gap are priceless....
Please do, we are seriously thinking about buying something or building something.

We (dad and I) have a couple acres in Jackson County south of Bryson City/Cherokee off of 441 that we're going to build a small cabin on (actually have alot of the materials bought and stored). We've had it for around 20 years.

How we acquired it is a bit of a story. A guy my dad has known most of his life had moved to that area from here in the upstate. He had built a home, and bought several lots over a few years. He decided to move back to this area and build. He wanted to build it and pay for it out of pocket. We manufacture something that he needed in his house. He asked dad if he'd be interested in trading the lot for what we were building for him. Dad told him he would be, but only if it was an even swap, he wasn't going to add any cash to the deal, take it or leave it. He said he'd do it. We had about 4k in it on our end. Worked out well for everyone...he got his materials, we got the lot. :)

I plan on spending a good bit of time there when it's built, especially on weekends.

Christmas we are going to get a lot of snow in the next few days. I'm sure you are aware of the snow forecast but just a reminder that you make want to make plans for a weekend trip,
Hey Freddie. We're here at our new place in Sylva. But as the hours go by the forecast keeps showing less and less snow for us. Looks like upstate SC is gonna get more than us. But I'll be happy with a few inches of snow at our place. We can still get out and (very carefully) travel around a little bit to be able to see some heavier accumulations. That's one cool thing about the mountains. Don't like the weather? Just change elevation.

• Love
Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Hey Freddie. We're here at our new place in Sylva. But as the hours go by the forecast keeps showing less and less snow for us. Looks like upstate SC is gonna get more than us. But I'll be happy with a few inches of snow at our place. We can still get out and (very carefully) travel around a little bit to be able to see some heavier accumulations. That's one cool thing about the mountains. Don't like the weather? Just change elevation.
Well, I hope you guys enjoy yourselves this weekend and enjoy seeing the beauty of a nice winter day covered with snow. And you are right, if you don't like the weather where you are just change evaluations. I remember one spring afternoon we had a meeting with vendors in Little Switzerland, NC. I left North Cove with the A/C on in my car and the time I got to Little Switzerland I had to turn the car heater on because of a significant change in altitude.

Last edited:
that’s so strange, tuckasegee is going to get over a foot!

we’re staying away from the mountains, this will be too much to safely get out for more than a week. there’s spots on the road that never see enough sunlight to melt the ice.
There will be black ice on some parts of the mountain roads for a week or two after the snow.

we’re staying away from the mountains, this will be too much to safely get out for more than a week. there’s spots on the road that never see enough sunlight to melt the ice.
Sadly that is the case here in upper East TN which is why the kids are out of school A LOT in the winter...the great thing about I-26 going thru Unicoi County is that they keep it scraped and de iced so you can get to Johnson City or Asheville or any of the smaller towns in between like Erwin if you need supplies...

Sadly that is the case here in upper East TN which is why the kids are out of school A LOT in the winter...the great thing about I-26 going thru Unicoi County is that they keep it scraped and de iced so you can get to Johnson City or Asheville or any of the smaller towns in between like Erwin if you need supplies...
my mothers family is from lafollette/clinton/lake city area! know it well! we would stay at my great aunts in clinton for the uk and ut away games every year because they used to alternate. love me some mountains! but i like the coast a little more! 60° for us on sunday. just strong wind and rain. a chilly tropical storm for the low country.

Well, I hope you guys enjoy yourselves this weekend and enjoy seeing the beauty of a nice winter day covered with snow. And you are right, if you don't like the weather where you are just change evaluations. I remember one spring afternoon we had a meeting with vendors in Little Switzerland, NC. I left North Cove with the A/C on in my car and the time I got to Little Switzerland I had to turn the car heater on because of a quite change in altitude.
So true. In summer if we get to hot we'll jump in the car and head into the national park. If Newfound Gap isn't cool enough we can go to Clingmans Dome. It's never hot there.

So true. In summer if we get to hot we'll jump in the car and head into the national park. If Newfound Gap isn't cool enough we can go to Clingmans Dome. It's never hot there.
One time many years ago, shortly after my wife and I got married (1975), a couple next door to us invited us to drive to the top of Mt. Mitchell. It was a hot, humid, muggy July day in Marion, NC when we left for Mt. Mitchell. When we got to the top of the mountain the wind was blowing and it was very chilly, in fact they were selling coffee. A light to medium jacket would have been very comfortable that day. I couldn't believe that such a short distance from Marion to Mt. Mitchell would have made that big of difference in temperature and humidity but it did. Wow! LOL!

Last edited:
Reactions: importcock
It has been hot in Hickory on some July days and snowing on Grandfather Mountain 35 miles up.

Flag Pond is very nice, when I was attending ETSU in the late '60s we always drove right through Flag Pond, that was before the interstate was build.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT