ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tebow's back in the NFL (almost)

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
Reported that Tebow will sign later this week or next week with Jacksonville as TE. Guess it's a nice way for him to come full circle with his career, playing for his hometown team and for his college coach with whom he had the greatest success. The Jags already have 5 TEs on their roster.

Reported that Tebow will sign later this week or next week with Jacksonville as TE. Guess it's a nice way for him to come full circle with his career, playing for his hometown team and for his college coach with whom he had the greatest success. The Jags already have 5 TEs on their roster.
In the history of the NFL has there ever been a player as non-NFL caliber that has been given as many failed chances on as many teams as Tebow?

In the history of the NFL has there ever been a player as non-NFL caliber that has been given as many failed chances on as many teams as Tebow?

A number of teams did feel he was NFL caliber, just not at QB.

Now that I think about it, this could be a genius move by Meyer. How do you take the pressure and spotlight off your rookie QB? Bring in the Tebow circus and let the reporters follow him around instead of Lawrence. Of course Lawrence will have plenty of eyes on him, but now the reporters will have to split their attention.

There are many former NFL players that try there hand at a Free Agent contract that never make(s) the new team. Only reason this is news is because of his name.

Now that I think about it, this could be a genius move by Meyer. How do you take the pressure and spotlight off your rookie QB? Bring in the Tebow circus and let the reporters follow him around instead of Lawrence. Of course Lawrence will have plenty of eyes on him, but now the reporters will have to split their attention.

Maybe, but I think the media at large is done with the Tebow story.

I don’t watch much NFL, but doesn’t it take years to learn to block, route run at the NFL level for a TE.

They may have felt he was but he obviously proved once he was on those teams that he is not.

Incorrect. He was asked by several teams to move somewhere other than QB. He never would. So he was only ever evaluated as QB.

In the history of the NFL has there ever been a player as non-NFL caliber that has been given as many failed chances on as many teams as Tebow He was a serviceable starting QB in Denver , and if he makes the team, I would look for him to play in short yardage and goal line situations

I don’t watch much NFL, but doesn’t it take years to learn to block, route run at the NFL level for a TE.

He’s a very gifted athlete with minimal wear and tear on his body so it’ll be interesting to see how it goes. Hard to see him breaking through with 5 TEs on the roster already.

This says more about Urban Meyer's decision making and the likehihood that he won't last long in the NFL than Tebow. This is not Ohio State or Florida where he will get the lion's share of the 4 and 5 star recruits and win 10 games minimum. In that type of college environment, many of his bad decisions will be covered up by the winning. That didn't even help him at Ohio State. However, now that he is in the NFL, hiring and ending up having to fire Chris Doyle is already strike one. Now, you have the Tebow circus. He better be able to learn the position and play. Otherwise, the whispers in even that young locker room will start especially if they allow Tebow to take up a roster spot. In the NFL, the talent is pretty much spread out evenly. Most of the games are one score games. Distractions like this don't help especially when you don't have Rutgers and Maryland on the schedule to beat 49-3.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
I like Tebow...good dude and I think he works hard at these opportunities he gets.

This does feel a little like Spurrier bringing in his UF QB's to Washington.

Dude does have a playoff W as a QB...no one can take that away from him

Reactions: jerryusc
Not necessarily. Antonio Gates was a basketball player in college and went on to become one of the best TEs ever. Travis Kelce was a former QB for most of his HS and early college career… TE is a position of variance to a great degree- there is a dramatic difference between “blocking” TEs and pass catching TEs.

The thing to keep in mind here is that Tebow is not getting a contract because he is the best option at TE- he knows Urban’s offense as well as anyone. He can help other offensive players “get it”. He can help a rookie QB learn the new system with real world experience.. He is a good influence in the locker room. He is a motivator and respected name.. He has valuable intangibles beyond his play making ability, but he is also one Hell of an athlete who is still in good shape and while “old” by NFL standards, he has not been getting his body smashed in the NFL the past 10 years like most 33 year olds have. On the surface- “washed up 33 year old failed NFL QB and failed minor league baseball player comes back to the NFL as a TE” sounds like a silly plot from a Disney movie. In real life he can help Urban bridge the gap from college to pro and help his teammates adapt to Urban. There is more to this than “how good of a TE is he today”.

Yeah but others are losing their minds over racism because Kapernick isn’t getting calls. Real story. Look it up.

Reactions: GCDC1959
I like Tebow...good dude and I think he works hard at these opportunities he gets.

This does feel a little like Spurrier bringing in his UF QB's to Washington.

Dude does have a playoff W as a QB...no one can take that away from him

Spurrier stocked the Washington roster with a bunch of UF and FSU guys, and Jordan at one point tried to load up the Charlotte Hornets roster with a bunch of UNC and Duke guys. Meyer is just the latest big name to not really understand that pro sports are quite different than college.

Yeah but others are losing their minds over racism because Kapernick isn’t getting calls. Real story. Look it up.
I’d love for someone to explain to me how a league that is 68% black in a population that’s 16% black could possibly be considered racist because Tebow is getting another shot. Just goes to show how idiotic the woke left is.

Wasn't Kapernick offered an open-tryout opportunity a few years ago, and didn't he seemingly go out of his way to sabotage that opportunity? I seem to remember the consensus being that he had zero interest in actually playing in the NFL.

Wasn't Kapernick offered an open-tryout opportunity a few years ago, and didn't he seemingly go out of his way to sabotage that opportunity? I seem to remember the consensus being that he had zero interest in actually playing in the NFL.

Yes, he changed the location from a NFL facility to a HS field or something like that with limited notice, if I had a job interview and I said no, I don't want to interview at your HQ, but meet me at McDonalds, I don't think anyone would show up and even if they came, I don't think I would get the job either :)

From 2019

The NFL said in a statement Saturday that Kaepernick informed the league he wasn't attending the workout a half hour before the scheduled start time, the same time his representatives alerted the public.

"Today's session was designed to give Colin what he has consistently said he wants — an opportunity to show his football readiness and desire to return to the NFL," the league said in its statement.

Around 5 p.m., Kaepernick began throwing to receivers at Charles R. Drew High School in Riverdale, Georgia.

The showcase for the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback moved from the Atlanta Falcons' practice facility, the original location, and was pushed back to 4 p.m. ET after Kaepernick and his representatives said the NFL's process was not "legitimate." They said their desire for a "transparent and open process" was the reason behind the change.

Yes, but said people look to play the race card in every possible instance. The situations are not compatible, other than they are both failed NFL Qb's. One finally put his pride aside and is trying a new position (I don't think he will make it as a NFL TE). The other is a failed QB who refused to put his pride aside to be a back up, no-one ever asked him to change positions.

Some people would rather play victim and lots of people like to play into it

Yes, but said people look to play the race card in every possible instance. The situations are not compatible, other than they are both failed NFL Qb's. One finally put his pride aside and is trying a new position (I don't think he will make it as a NFL TE). The other is a failed QB who refused to put his pride aside to be a back up, no-one ever asked him to change positions.

How is Kap a failed qb? He took his team to two NFC title games and a superbowl, and is still probably better than at least 10 starting qbs in the league right now. If you don't like his politics, fine, but don't lie about his ability.

I don't want to break up your little "Woe is the Race Card" discussion. However, Kaepernick not working out at the NFL assigned facility was a little more complicated than you are making out. There was an issue regarding waivers from being sued that caused the issue. Kaepernick went to the other facility for media purposes to show that he was willing to work out but not under the conditions of signing that waiver. Now, I agree that the Tebow and Kaepernick issues are totally unrelated. However, there is no need to leave things out to prove your point.

Very valid point.

How is Kap a failed qb? He took his team to two NFC title games and a superbowl, and is still probably better than at least 10 starting qbs in the league right now. If you don't like his politics, fine, but don't lie about his ability.
lol what? He rode on the backs of the 9ers D those years. "Better than at least 10 starting Qb's in the league right now". He wasn't better than 10 starting fb's when he was playing 5 years ago, he sure is not better after sitting those years. God bless it.

I'm a 49'ers fan, him kneeling never bothered me. His praise of Castro and wearing cop pig socks, made me shake my head, but didn't bother me. Him being so bad at qb that the 9ers didn't win at least 1 of the sb/s in 2012-2013, bc he was such a dog shit qb, that's what bothers me.

Dude was 3-16 in his last two years, with a QBR around .45.

lol what? He rode on the backs of the 9ers D those years. "Better than at least 10 starting Qb's in the league right now". He wasn't better than 10 starting fb's when he was playing 5 years ago, he sure is not better after sitting those years. God bless it.

I'm a 49'ers fan, him kneeling never bothered me. His praise of Castro and wearing cop pig socks, made me shake my head, but didn't bother me. Him being so bad at qb that the 9ers didn't win at least 1 of the sb/s in 2012-2013, bc he was such a dog shit qb, that's what bothers me.

Dude was 3-16 in his last two years, with a QBR around .45.
Just say you don't know football and go. It is almost universally agreed that Kap would still be in the league if he hadn't taken a political stance. You're only lying to yourself if you think 60 to 70 Qbs in the NFL are better than Kap.

Just say you don't know football and go. It is almost universally agreed that Kap would still be in the league if he hadn't taken a political stance. You're only lying to yourself if you think 60 to 70 Qbs in the NFL are better than Kap.
The opinion that 70 QBs are better than Kap is nuts. The man has a career TD/Int ratio of 72 to 30. Even in the year that he got benched, Blaine Gabbert was so terrible that they had to sneak Kap back out there amid the controversy and Kap threw 16 TDs and 4 Ints. You, also, have to keep in mind that Chip Kelly was the 49ers coach during this period and no professional football authority would argue now that Chip Kelly knew what he was doing. Just think about all this for a second. A QB with a TD/Int. ratio of approximately 2 1/2 to 1 has been sitting on the street for five years due to the owner's lack of courage. With that type of mentality, Jackie Robinson would have never left the Negro League and a whole host of things would be different that we take for granted now. To have the commissioner publicly apologize to Kap, but not somehow have him involved with the league is a shame.

Just say you have the reading comprehension of a 2nd grader, and go. I guess you know more than every coach/gm/predsident in the NFL (you're a joke). You're moving the goal post now, it was "he is better than at least 10 starting fb's in the NFL right now"...Now it's "You're only lying to yourself if you think 60 to 70 Qbs in the NFL are better than Kap". I never said the latter? When you lose an argument, you just change the argument I guess.

Look I get that you might be a "boy", thus not old enough to remember CK being benched for freaking Blaine Gabbert. You may not also remember that he was also benched before all of his "activism".

He shouldn't make the team and won't unless Meyer forces the issue. He has never played tight end. He is 33 years old. This is a pure publicity stunt.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Just say you have the reading comprehension of a 2nd grader, and go. I guess you know more than every coach/gm/predsident in the NFL (you're a joke). You're moving the goal post now, it was "he is better than at least 10 starting fb's in the NFL right now"...Now it's "You're only lying to yourself if you think 60 to 70 Qbs in the NFL are better than Kap". I never said the latter? When you lose an argument, you just change the argument I guess.

Look I get that you might be a "boy", thus not old enough to remember CK being benched for freaking Blaine Gabbert. You may not also remember that he was also benched before all of his "activism".
I remember. I, also, remember the 49ers putting Kap back out there when it was clear that Gabbert couldn’t play.. My final memory is that Kap had a 4/1 TD/Int. ratio that season. You have at least two starting QB’s in the NFL that were underwater in that stat just last year. Hate Kap if you want, but the narrative that Kap was some crap QB is just false.

He shouldn't make the team and won't unless Meyer forces the issue. He has never played tight end. He is 33 years old. This is a pure publicity stunt.

Probably, but they should be allowed to sign whoever they want to sign for any reason they choose to do so.

Why are outsiders getting so worked up about it?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT