ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Terminated DirecTV yesterday.

BedouinCock

Jan 4, 2008
My bill had gone up exponentially during the past two years. I have installed antennas and am getting great quality pictures on free tv channels.

Does anyone on this board have Sling TV? I am reading that for $25 you can get the ESPN sports package and the SEC network plus other channels.

Originally posted by BedouinCock:
My bill had gone up exponentially during the past two years. I have installed antennas and am getting great quality pictures on free tv channels.

Does anyone on this board have Sling TV? I am reading that for $25 you can get the ESPN sports package and the SEC network plus other channels.
"Free" TV is merely the standard, over-the-air broadcast signals which have been around since US commercial TV broadcasting began in the 1940s. Congrats on cutting the cord.

The picture quality you receive from an over-the-air digital signal is of a superior quality than any cable/satellite provider can offer you.

Apparently, what you read re: Sling TV is correct. Keep in mind that you can be logged on with your account but once at any one time, i.e., you can't "share."

Grab a spare desktop, laptop, tablet, raspberry pi, etc and load Kodi. The Genesis add-on is killer.

Congrats. I'm still thinking of "cutting the cable" from DirectTV.

Do you mind telling us what you were paying for DirectTV which prompted your decision?

This post was edited on 4/15 5:20 PM by UpstateGC

Originally posted by UpstateGC:

Do you mind telling us what you were paying for DirectTV which prompted your decision?

They raised my rate by $8 PM this year to $127 PM. I don't have any special movie channels or special sports package. I have been wanting to cut ties but I like the sports too much. They arrange their packages so that you almost have to go for the most expensive one. They are probably raking in the money and could support a small nation on their profit. One day they are gonna realize that they have overdone it. Think how it would be if Dish and DTV had been allowed to merge.
I have netflix which is great.

My bill went up 15% during the past two months to $110. My 2 year contract had expired and they started hitting me with all the extra fees and a $6 general rate increase. I was fair game at that point. I suspect the $6 is to pay for the addition of the SEC Network?? My bill has been going up a little at a time over the 2 year period. When I called to terminate my service, they offered me a $59 per month rate with no additional obligations with less of a channel package. Thanks but no thanks. I do not trust them.

I am retired and do not need that size of a bill now. I live in the rural area of the upstate and only have Dish and Directv as tv options. Internet option is from Windstream only. That sucks. There is no cable and I was getting DTV to watch sports channels.

My wife and I did not watch all that other sorry stuff. So, with free tv we can get the basics with a quality picture. I seriously considering subscribing to SlingTV in time for football season. For $25 a month and no contract I can get the ESPN package and SEC Network and several others sports channels. I talked with a tech rep from Sling TV last night. It is one month at a time and you can cancel whenever you wish. My son is on it in Oklahoma City and loves it. You need an internet speed of at least 3.7 MB. By the way, Dish owns and operates Sling TV. I found that interesting.

Are there other good options similar to Sling TV? Thanks!

Originally posted by jerryusc:
Originally posted by UpstateGC:

They raised my rate by $8 PM this year to $127 PM. I don't have any special movie channels or special sports package. I have been wanting to cut ties but I like the sports too much. They arrange their packages so that you almost have to go for the most expensive one. They are probably raking in the money and could support a small nation on their profit. One day they are gonna realize that they have overdone it. Think how it would be if Dish and DTV had been allowed to merge.
I have netflix which is great.
You and I are in the same boat - long loyal customers who have the rates rise. I think I made my mistake years ago, asking for "small" special sports package in order to receive "ESPN Classics". I removed it years ago but somehow DirectTV retained some other channels for a "free" deal and soon after the "deal" went away and prices rose and somehow my rate gradually and simply increases. I called recently asking for a smaller package & they said anything I do won't lower cost that much - simply just a few bucks. They are becoming like organized crime or something close.

My bill went up 15% during the past two months to $110. My 2 year contract had expired and they started hitting me with all the extra fees and a $6 general rate increase. I was fair game at that point. I suspect the $6 is to pay for the addition of the SEC Network?? My bill has been going up a little at a time over the 2 year period. When I called to terminate my service, they offered me a $59 per month rate with no additional obligations with less of a channel package. Thanks but no thanks. I do not trust them.

I am retired and do not need that size of a bill now. I live in the rural area of the upstate and only have Dish and Directv as tv options. Internet option is from Windstream only. That sucks. There is no cable and I was getting DTV to watch sports channels.

My wife and I did not watch all that other sorry stuff. So, with free tv we can get the basics with a quality picture. I seriously considering subscribing to SlingTV in time for football season. For $25 a month and no contract I can get the ESPN package and SEC Network and several others sports channels. I talked with a tech rep from Sling TV last night. It is one month at a time and you can cancel whenever you wish. My son is on it in Oklahoma City and loves it. You need an internet speed of at least 3.7 MB. By the way, Dish owns and operates Sling TV. I found that interesting.

Thanks for sharing. My rates continue to rise as well and have reached almost $100 now. I started out with the second from bottom package years ago. I feel like a fool hanging on like I do without watching that much TV that isn't already offered by other means such as an antenna. I bought a "Smart TV" recently.

Actually, you have three TV options:
Over-the-air with an antennaSatellite with DishSatellite with DirecTVI take it that Windstream doesn't offer a download stream sufficiently fast enough for you to use SlingTV?

Here in Atlanta, the ABC, NBC, & CBS affilliates have each added more sub-channels to their lineup within the past month (GRIT, LAFF, COZI, & Justice TV). With "rabbit ears," I'm getting inconsistent signals from some of the 70+ channels available over-the-air. I'm looking to have an outside antenna erected this summer. If I get consistently good signals with the outside antenna from all the channels and SlingTV offers what interests us at a good price point, I might consider cutting the cord. But we might need two subscriptions (one for me and one for "she who must be obeyed"), which may negate the cost savings. We also have "dumb" TVs (no HMDI inputs), which may make the hardware setup costs for watching SlingTV on a TV not worth it at present as well.

I guess you and I are in similar boats in that we'll be on the lookout for alternative options.

I can suggest that if you have a friend with a cable/satellite subscription who will allow you to have a Slingbox or other placeshifting device to be installed in their house, you might be able to stream an SECN+ signal that way. They'll need at least a 2MB upload speed. I don't think you'll need anywhere near a 3.7MB download speed to access a Slingbox.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

I'm a huge advocate for cutting the cord. I use streams to watch most games, or I go out especially during football season as any sports bar will be playing it.

Now that wiziwig is gone it'll be hard to find streams for our baseball games so I guess the SEC network is needed.

Now I dont have DirecTV, but am considering Sling.....but does does Sling have DVR capabilities or something like it?

Go to the Sling TV website and call the phone number given on the site. They are quick to answer and very helpful in answering questions. The guy did tell me last night that I needed an internet provider with a speed of at least 3.7 MB. You can only use Sling on one tv at at time and I do not think you can record programs. I am not sure. They can answer your questions and they do provide some Q and A options on their site. Plus, you can Google Sling TV and get other reviews about it that are helpful. I plan to phone Windstream today to see if they can provide the speed to make it work for me. I am presently getting about 3.2 MB at the present in download speed but this can be increased by Windstream for an additional fee.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by world famous 3rd base hecklers:
I have Apple TV and plan to cut the TV cable soon once Apple's new network starts up in June...
WHEEE!!! Tell me more WF3BH! whats the deal?

Just bought a new APPLE TV and am going to cut the cord as soon as possible> My combined Comcastdefinitly bad 'Package just went up to over $200!

And if any body knows, HOW can I get Fox News without a CABLE or Sat. CDO:?

I have Apple TV and plan to cut the TV cable soon once Apple's new network starts up in June...
I'm interested to see what the new ATV design will be like and what subscription services will be available. I have two ATV2s and a FireStick. On the other hand, I don't think people realize what it costs to cut the cord and keep watching the programs and sports you want. For instance, I was paying $67 a month for Internet alone. My DirecTV bill increased to $121 a month. If I had canceled DTV and subscribed to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and the occasional Redbox rental, I'd be paying $30+ a month with no sports. Instead, I called my Internet provider and added all the channels plus HBO for $32 a month. I don't recommend Comcast to anyone. In fact, they are a garbage, POS company but it goes to show cord cutting isn't always the best avenue.

I don't mind not watching sports on TV. If I can't go to the games, I like hearing it on the radio.... I rent newly released movies for the Richland County Public Library and watch Nexflix..

As long as I can have my Internet, I can live with Apple TV...

Here are some other links about Apple TV.

Apple TV Channelshttp://www.appledystopia.com/reviews/apple-tv-channels-page-1/

How to Beat Apple's 30 Percent Subscription Fee: Sell Your Stuff on Apple TVhttp://recode.net/2015/04/13/how-to-beat-apples-30-percent-subscription-fee-sell-your-stuff-on-apple-tv/

Here Comes The Long Awaited New Apple TV

Originally posted by Cock_Donor:

I'm interested to see what the new ATV design will be like and what subscription services will be available. I have two ATV2s and a FireStick. On the other hand, I don't think people realize what it costs to cut the cord and keep watching the programs and sports you want. For instance, I was paying $67 a month for Internet alone. My DirecTV bill increased to $121 a month. If I had canceled DTV and subscribed to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and the occasional Redbox rental, I'd be paying $30+ a month with no sports. Instead, I called my Internet provider and added all the channels plus HBO for $32 a month. I don't recommend Comcast to anyone. In fact, they are a garbage, POS company but it goes to show cord cutting isn't always the best avenue.
Who's your internet provider, Cock_Donor?

Originally posted by atl-cock:

Comcrap. It was actually cheaper to bundle with them than to cut the cord and scavenge for content.

I hate being raped like anyone, but going to a bar every time game comes on aint an option. Im getting rid of my home phone, and will seek out ways where I can lower my costs, but they still have us by the balls if you wanna watch a good amount of tv.

I cut the cord. I have always had Netflix and Hulu Plus. I have a friend who has given me access to their Amazon Prime and I reciprocated.

If you are wondering if Sling TV works well and is worth a shot, the short answer is yes. I've ran into some issues lately while streaming something to my Roku. With the core package you get about 20 channels including ESPN 1 and . This also gives you access to the Watch ESPN app. I believe you can watch ESPN3 on there as well. For $5 more per month you can add the sports package which gives you the SEC Network, ESPNU, etc. Some channels will let you pause, rewind, and FF. Those channels also let you go back a few days to watch what has already played.

With Sling TV, an antenna, and Netflix you will have plenty. Another thing to look into is Plex. It is a file sharing app which serves as a media server. You can access your movies, home videos, music, TV shows, etc. You can also share your library to friends and they can share theirs if they have one. You can choose which libraries you share. Between my library and the 2 that are shared out to me I have access to about 2000 movies and countless TV shows.

Lastly, regarding the bandwidth required to support Sling TV- I'm pretty sure you can go into settings and lower the quality of the picture to better suit your internet capabilities.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by tigerRob1981:
I cut the cord. I have always had Netflix and Hulu Plus. I have a friend who has given me access to their Amazon Prime and I reciprocated.

If you are wondering if Sling TV works well and is worth a shot, the short answer is yes. I've ran into some issues lately while streaming something to my Roku. With the core package you get about 20 channels including ESPN 1 and . This also gives you access to the Watch ESPN app. I believe you can watch ESPN3 on there as well. For $5 more per month you can add the sports package which gives you the SEC Network, ESPNU, etc. Some channels will let you pause, rewind, and FF. Those channels also let you go back a few days to watch what has already played.

With Sling TV, an antenna, and Netflix you will have plenty. Another thing to look into is Plex. It is a file sharing app which serves as a media server. You can access your movies, home videos, music, TV shows, etc. You can also share your library to friends and they can share theirs if they have one. You can choose which libraries you share. Between my library and the 2 that are shared out to me I have access to about 2000 movies and countless TV shows.

Lastly, regarding the bandwidth required to support Sling TV- I'm pretty sure you can go into settings and lower the quality of the picture to better suit your internet capabilities.

Hope this helps.
Plex is pretty neat, and at one point I thought about using it solely as my home media center interface. I have a decent digital collection, but had problems with playing .vob files when loaded, and said the hell with it. I also didn't like that I had to pay for the Plex Pass for some of the other features. I ended up using Kodi (new version of XBMC) that I mentioned above and everything works now like it should. In addition to scanning my own library, I now have access to just about any and every movie and tv show out there with the use of the many video add-ons (Genesis, IceFilms, Phoenix, etc.). Granted, it takes some tinkering and a little patience to get everything working like you want it, but it is the shizzle. I just added the Yatse remote on my S5 the other night and that makes it a lot easier to navigate than using a wireless keyboard and mouse.

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/best-kodi-addons-2015-for-cordcutters/

Originally posted by atl-cock:

Comcrap. It was actually cheaper to bundle with them than to cut the cord and scavenge for content.
When we first got broadband in Atlanta in the late '90s, it was MediaOne, who sold out to ATTBI (AT&T Broadband Internet), in in turn sold it to Comcast about a dozen years ago. Prior to the Comcast takeover, we'd get occasional outages. Comcast did a good job of cleaning the transmission lines; now we rarely get an outage.

Not a huge fan of Comcast, but they are far superior to Hargray, who we have in Beaufort. I would consider cutting the cord in Beaufort if I could get my 18ft antenna raised another 20ft so that I could receive WCBD and WCSC reliably all the time.

How difficult is KODI to setup? I downloaded it, but am not using it yet. Plex works great for me. However, I am of the understanding that you can watch HBO, Starz, etc. for free using Kodi. Is that true? If so, I'm interested. Also, I use a Roku 3. Don't you have to setup some sort of screen mirroring to make it work if you want to watch what is on your computer over the network? Lastly, I'm curious if you can use Plex and Kodi at the same time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT