ADVERTISEMENT

OT- The 87th Academy Awards- The Oscars- Tonight at 8:30 EST

ipull4usc

Mar 17, 2003
The 87th Academy Awards- "The Oscars"- is taking place tonight, with the ceremony beginning at 8:30 PM EST.[/B]

Here are the nominees: http://oscar.go.com/nominees

Which films, directors, producers, actors, actresses, etc. are everyone's picks this year?

Here are my rankings of the Best Picture nominees (my personal picks, not who I think will win):

1. American Sniper [/B]9/10
2. The Grand Budapest Hotel[/B] 8.5/10
3. Boyhood [/B]8.5/10
4. Whiplash [/B]8/10
5. Selma [/B]7.5/10
6. The Theory of Everything[/B] 7/10
7. The Imitation Game[/B] 6/10
8. Birdman [/B]5/10

And here's who I'd choose in the "Big 6" categories:

Best Picture
American Sniper[/B]

Best Director
Richard Linklater[/B]- Boyhood[/I]

Best Actor
Eddie Redmayne[/B]- The Theory of Everything[/I]

Best Actress
Felicity Jones[/B]- The Theory of Everything[/I]

Best Supporting Actor
J.K. Simmons[/B]- Whiplash[/I]

Best Supporting Actress
Patricia Arquette[/B]- Boyhood[/I]

I hope American Sniper grabs all of then !
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Last year's Oscars attracted 43.7 million viewers and had some popular box-office draws nominated for Best Picture (Gravity, Wolf of Wall Street, American Hustle, Captain Phillips).

I expect ratings to be down a good bit this year, perhaps drawing viewers in the mid-30 millions. American Sniper was the only film that the average moviegoer likely saw. The Imitation Game and The Grand Budapest Hotel were the second and third highest box office grossing Best Pic nominees, respectively, which tells you about the general public's interest in the Best Picture nominees this year. In many years those two films would be considered "the British prestige picture" or "the quirky nominee," both types of which are often amongst the lowest grossing nominees.

I make it a point to see all of the Best Picture nominees, but I assume the vast majority of folks don't. The following is a list of the odds on favorites for the major awards:

Best Picture: Birdman [/B]& Boyhood[/B]
Best Director: Innaritu for Birdman [/B]& Linklater for Boyhood[/B]
Best Actor: Eddie Redmayne from Theory of Everything[/B] & Michael Keaton from Birdman[/B]
Best Actress: Julianne Moore from Still Alice[/B]
Best Supporting Actor: J.K. Simmons from Whiplash[/B]
Best Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette from Boyhood[/B]

ALL of the favorites from the "Big 6" categories were from movies that grossed under $50 million.

My picks:

Best Picture
Birdman

Best Director
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu - Birdman

Best Actor
Michael Keaton - Birdman

Best Actress
Felicity Jones - The Theory of Everything

Best Supporting Actor
Mark Ruffalo - Foxcatcher

Best Supporting Actress
Patricia Arquette - Boyhood

I'm with you kebob....hell Alaska State Troopers or Railroad Alaska beats having to watch all of those pompous asses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT