ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The "Entertainment" Industry

Ward Jr

Nov 7, 2021
Cockshut Lane
What in the world happened? Today's (commercial) music is potentially worse.

This isn't an "old white guy" issue either. Kids are watching old movies and listening to old music at a record rate.

1993 Movies

Tombstone
Gettysburg
True Romance
This Boys Life
The Fugitive
A Bronx Tale
Searching for Bobby Fisher
Rudy
Philadelphia
Man Without a Face
Sleepless in Seattle
Free Willy
Groundhog Day
Schindler’s List
Jurassic Park
The Firm

2023 Movies

Creed 3
Scream 6
Fast X
Antman: Quantumania
Super Mario Bros
Evil Dead Rise
Magic Mike Last Dance
Shazam 2
Cocaine Bear
Renfield
Dungeons and Dragons
Transformers: Rise of the Beasts
Boogeyman
The Little Mermaid (live action)
Bird Box Barcelona
The Meg 2

Creativity is dead. Bad remakes and reality tv is all that exists now. Hold on to your old movies, tv shows. Quality tv sitcoms ended in the 90’s early 2000’s. There are a few good movies each year now but they don’t come out of Hollywood.

My kids always ask me to play a good movie from back in the day. They are 13 and 15 so its limited but I'm stretching the boundary for them because there are so many. Can't wait until I tell them to watch tombstone, dazed and confused, Friday, etc. We've watched every Adam Sandler movie that is rated appropriately.

This isn't an "old white guy" issue either. Kids are watching old movies and listening to old music at a record rate.

1993 Movies

Tombstone
Gettysburg
True Romance
This Boys Life
The Fugitive
A Bronx Tale
Rudy
Philadelphia
Man Without a Face
Sleepless in Seattle
Free Willy
Groundhog Day
Schindler’s List
Jurassic Park
The Firm

2023 Movies

Creed 3
Scream 6
Fast X
Super Mario Bros
Evil Dead Rise
Magic Mike Last Dance
Shazam 2
Cocaine Bear
Renfield
Dungeons and Dragons
Boogeyman
Bird Box Barcelona
The Meg 2
Ward, where did you come up with this these lists?

1993 Movies

Tombstone
Gettysburg
True Romance
This Boys Life
The Fugitive
A Bronx Tale
Rudy
Philadelphia
Man Without a Face
Sleepless in Seattle
Free Willy
Groundhog Day
Schindler’s List
Jurassic Park
The Firm

2023 Movies

Creed 3
Scream 6
Fast X
Super Mario Bros
Evil Dead Rise
Magic Mike Last Dance
Shazam 2
Cocaine Bear
Renfield
Dungeons and Dragons
Boogeyman
Bird Box Barcelona
The Meg 2
Movies from Hollywood are becoming harder and harder for me to hear. I thought my ears were failing until I happened to read up. Basically, the directors and producers have a let them eat cake attitude. One director said it was because special effects are so loud. A few indicated it was part of their artistic presentation. Play Opinheimer then watch Delta Queen.

I'm not sure what this list is or how any of it relates to music. Did you just pick out bad movies from 2023 and good ones from 1993? I could do the reverse.
Mr. Nanny
Son of the Pink Panther
Look Who's Talking Now
RoboCop 3
Cop & 1/2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III
Weekend at Bernie's II
Beethoven's 2nd
Body of Evidence
Jason Goes to Hell
Oppenheimer
Killers of the Flower Moon
Mission Impossible - Dead Reckoning
John Wick Chapter 4
Air
The Holdovers
Blackberry
Poor Things
Godzilla Minus One
When Evil Lurks

I'm not sure what this list is or how any of it relates to music. Did you just pick out bad movies from 2023 and good ones from 1993? I could do the reverse.
Mr. Nanny
Son of the Pink Panther
Look Who's Talking Now
RoboCop 3
Cop & 1/2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III
Weekend at Bernie's II
Beethoven's 2nd
Body of Evidence
Jason Goes to Hell
Oppenheimer
Killers of the Flower Moon
Mission Impossible - Dead Reckoning
John Wick Chapter 4
Air
The Holdovers
Blackberry
Poor Things
Godzilla Minus One
When Evil Lurks

You're reaching. Oppenheimer was a nice documentary. MI was the same thing it's been for years. Same with Wick. Certainly you're not in the camp that Hollywood is thriving? Even Hollywood doesn't believe that.

Reactions: cocks rule
You're comparing the industry from 1993 with the industry as it exists in 2023. Streaming and the gazillion platforms that host it didn't exist in 1993. In 1993, there were about 500 scripted TV shows. Now there are nearly 4000. A lot of the folks who would have been writing movies if the industry was the same as it was in 1993 are now writing scripted television. Because of that, quality scripted TV is better and the bench is deeper, than it has ever been and certainly better than it was in 1993. Eventually, the tide will turn again and people will seek entertainment in 2 hour blocks instead of multi-hour binges. But yeah, the era of the big budget movie theater movie is long gone. We have home theaters and Netflix/Prime/Max, etc. The old Hollywood model is on life support. But there's way more great entertainment options.

Reactions: Ward Jr
You're comparing the industry from 1993 with the industry as it exists in 2023. Streaming and the gazillion platforms that host it didn't exist in 1993. In 1993, there were about 500 scripted TV shows. Now there are nearly 4000. A lot of the folks who would have been writing movies if the industry was the same as it was in 1993 are now writing scripted television. Because of that, quality scripted TV is better and the bench is deeper, than it has ever been and certainly better than it was in 1993. Eventually, the tide will turn again and people will seek entertainment in 2 hour blocks instead of multi-hour binges. But yeah, the era of the big budget movie theater movie is long gone. We have home theaters and Netflix/Prime/Max, etc. The old Hollywood model is on life support. But there's way more great entertainment options.

Maybe. IMO, many of the current Netflix Movies and Shows are currently a woke disaster. The abundant DEI incentives dampen creativity. Of recent, Fincher's The Killer was a welcome exception but few and far between.

Reactions: cocks rule
Maybe. IMO, many of the current Netflix Movies and Shows are currently a woke disaster. The abundant DEI incentives dampen creativity. Of recent, Fincher's The Killer was a welcome exception but few and far between.
Streaming numbers show the old tv shows are being streamed at a higher rate than what is being produced today. The writers 15-25 years ago were great. Somebody needs to get them outta retirement and back to work. Lol

Reactions: Ward Jr
It's hard for writers to write believable scripts without forcing me to suspend my believability. Remember in the Matrix when the traitor was enjoying a steak dinner with Agent Smith? Who put the spike in his head to send him into the matrix? Who was monitoring him? Who brought him back?

In Yellowstone when Beth talked Jamie into killing his real father she was waiting for him to throw the body off the cliff at the train station and took his picture. LATER the script had her asking her father what's the train station and where was it. I mean... what am I supposed to think?

I’m way behind. I’m still trying to find out 2 things: why Billy Joe jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge, and what will it take to get Seth Greenberg to stop talking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT