ADVERTISEMENT

OT: things to do/see in Sc

RockThrillCock

Aug 9, 2005
Rock Hill
We are having family come in from San Francisco and need to fill up some time and am looking around for places to go. We live just south of Charlotte. We can’t compete with SF but I would like to show them a different side of SC than just heat and humidity.

Greenville would be a good day trip. Scenic downtown including Reedy River Falls; museums, etc. Bob Jones University has a large collection of religious paintings/art; Shoeless Joe Jackson's home/museum. Caesar's Head about 45 minutes from Greenville offers nice mountain views.

Charleston is hot, but has lots of history.

If you want to expand it to Western NC ... The Biltmore House; Mount Mitchell; Grandfather Mountain; Blue Ridge Parkway; Great Smoky Mountains; Tubing on a mountain river.

Take them to a real barbecue place (Lexington BBQ, etc.). Probably a good culture shock.

Greenville would be a good day trip. Scenic downtown including Reedy River Falls; museums, etc. Bob Jones University has a large collection of religious paintings/art; Shoeless Joe Jackson's home/museum. Caesar's Head about 45 minutes from Greenville offers nice mountain views.

If you want to expand it to Western NC ... The Biltmore House; Mount Mitchell; Grandfather Mountain; Blue Ridge Parkway; Great Smoky Mountains; Tubing on a mountain river.

Take them to a real barbecue place (Lexington BBQ, etc.). Probably a good culture shock.
Everything this guy said sounds good.

If you can find some authentic country/mountain banjo pick'n and fiddle playing near by or seriously, a Saturday night dirt track race. These type of local yokel things can be a lot of fun and will always be remembered with stories they can tell their friends back home.

Charleston-patriots point, the forts, plantations

Columbia-state house, state museum, riverbanks,

Reactions: exnavyguy
tons of stuff to do in Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, etc

Charleston - take them to the battery, eat at one of the many world-renowned restaurants, hit Folly or the Isle of Palms, etc

Columbia- State House, USC, Riverbanks, Lake Murray, go tubing down a river, Congaree Park

If you are only looking for day trips be strategic about a trip to Charleston from there because you will spend the better part of the day driving. I would watch the weather closely and go on a day with an onshore wind and lower rain chance. I would stick to just hanging out downtown, get reservations for dinner at a restaurant that suits the group, and try to maximize your time. Are there little kids involved? Teens? Adults?

Reactions: DrMickey
Anywhere from Pawleys Island back towards Savannah would be amazing. Everyone has heard of Charleston and Savannah no matter where you’re from.

Windjammer Isle Of Palms during the day, dinner in downtown

Our Beaches are better

(They do have Laguna & Coronado but still)

Sorry if I repeat some of the suggestions above.

Charlotte
Whitewater Center
Bad Daddys Burgers
Trip on one the massively long greenways
Brewery Tour
Bentley's on 27th
Rusans
Noda Area during one of their events
Knights baseball game at Night

Columbia
Riverbanks Zoo
State Museum (With Kids, Ed Venture)
State House Tour (I always loved hearing the story about the stars on the side of the state house)
Day on the lake at Lake Murray
Villa Tronco (Are they still open?)

Charleston
Aquarium
Stroll to the point on Sullivans Island
Poes (on Sullivans Island)
Drinks on one of the rooftop bars in downtown

Depends on how much time you have. I would put both SF and Charleston as primo tourist destinations, however, Charleston has soooo much more history to explore. I think a west coaster (if raised there) would be fascinated with our salt/tidal marshes. As mentioned, a drive from Murrels inlet through Pawley's, McClellanville, Shem Creek, Ace Basin, Beaufort, Hilton Head. Or do a Charleston and Savannah excursion. The Columbia trip is a easy drive, like mentioned, State house, state museum, Riverbanks & Botanical Gardens, etc. Upstate, Lake Jocassee, Hagood's Mill, Blue Ridge parkway, Cowpens and King's Mountain battle sites, and Biltmore should be entertaining to a west coaster.

Again, depends on how much time. You might consider them flying into Charleston, pick them up there, tour there, maybe spend the night, next day drive to Columbia and tour, then drive home, next day do the upstate, if you have the time.

Reactions: yankacock
We are having family come in from San Francisco and need to fill up some time and am looking around for places to go. We live just south of Charlotte. We can’t compete with SF but I would like to show them a different side of SC than just heat and humidity.

take em to the waxhaws & blackstocks' farm then have em jump off burr's rock........feed em @ midway

Good suggestions. The Biltmore House is an eye-opener for anybody. I would also roll that into an evening in downtown Asheville. It's not nearly on the scale of San Francisco, but if they like the flavor of San Francisco, they'll be right at home in Asheville.

I was gonna give you a thumbs up until you called that bulllshit Lexington BBQ "real BBQ."

I like the dirt track idea, they have a few around here. Also Richburg has a little rodeo if they want to have a more redneck time. I doubt I could take them to Soortsmans shooting range.

I have been to SF three times, once on a business trip and twice on vacation. Let me tell you there is nothing and I mean nothing in NC or SC that will impress them compared to SF and the SF area. The drive from SF to Monterey Bay is simply breath taking on Pac Highway 1. Then to the north of SF you have Nappa Valley so there is no comparison, I'm sorry to say.

I have been to SF three times, once on a business trip and twice on vacation. Let me tell you there is nothing and I mean nothing in NC or SC that will impress them compared to SF and the SF area. The drive from SF to Monterey Bay is simply breath taking on Pac Highway 1. Then to the north of SF you have Nappa Valley so there is no comparison, I'm sorry to say.
I don't know. Take them to a community of homeowners that are not predominantly in the tech industry or trust fund babies. Will blow their mind you can actually be a teacher and own a home. Car too. Maybe even a jet ski.

Legal Remedy brewery in your own back yard is pretty dang good in my opinion. Both food and beer. Relax on Lake Norman or Wylie if you have access. I don't like NASCAR but their museum ain't half bad if you want to sample some "redneck stuff." Have some BBQ and collard greens somewhere.

Why would you take them to Greenville if you could take them to Columbia?

Lexington is real BBQ. That stuff y’all eat is really spam with mustard and maybe a little rice.

BBQ is a regional thing. Whether folks like it depend on what you are used to. Years ago I had a customer in Orangeburg that raved about Dukes. He loved it, I thought it was junk. All about what you are used to. But there is a reason why Lexington BBQ has them lined up out the door every day from 11 until about 2, then once again from 5 until about 7.

Reactions: The Coup Nazi
Good suggestions. The Biltmore House is an eye-opener for anybody. I would also roll that into an evening in downtown Asheville. It's not nearly on the scale of San Francisco, but if they like the flavor of San Francisco, they'll be right at home in Asheville.

If they are from San Francisco area, they probably have toured Hurst Castle. Take them to the Biltmore House. Lots of comparisons and Biltmore is larger. They will still be fascinated.

Then a tubing trip down the Nantahala from the Outdoor Center.

Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT