ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Time Magazine most influential people in the world of 2021 is so ridiculous. Look at some of the people on there.

I said the Senate. But sure, Scarlett Johansson is more influential than someone that casts a vote for Supreme Court nominees and trillion dollar spending bills. I know the difference in the two words, and they pretty much go hand in hand. I'm sure she's more influential than Boris Johnson and Tony Fauci though.
Boris Johnson is way more influential in the world arena than is any single member of the US Senate. Hope they had Merkel on that list also.

Nope. Merkel was not on there either.
I would've included her, but not my list. I do understand Boris being on there though. Can completely understand most Senators being ignored...all they do is campaign and speak in an echo chamber.

I think the big confusion about who is on the list may be the influence of social media (especially during a year like 2021) which many of us older people are simply not that familiar with.

Reactions: king ward
I would've included her, but not my list. I do understand Boris being on there though. Can completely understand most Senators being ignored...all they do is campaign and speak in an echo chamber.

I think the big confusion about who is on the list may be the influence of social media (especially during a year like 2021) which many of us older people are simply not that familiar with.
THat's the thing, though. Boris Johnson isn't on it. Billie Eilish is apparently more influential in the United Kingdom....indeed, the world, than the Prime Minister.

Even if I don't identify, I know banality and vapidity when I see them.

Reactions: redrogers
THat's the thing, though. Boris Johnson isn't on it. Billie Eilish is apparently more influential in the United Kingdom....indeed, the world, than the Prime Minister.
I thought someone was complaining about Boris Johnson being on the list. Frankly I haven't looked at it as it is not that important to me.

But when he made it, his explanation was at least plausible. He was speaking the truth. Their celebrity in that culture (and this one) outstripped (outstrips) that of the incomparable Jesus Christ.
Jesus was pretty popular when he rode in to Jerusalem. Multitudes of people spread palm branches and even their own clothes before his path. Then God hardened their hearts so that his will would be done. Those same people screamed out "crucify him" less than 24 hours later. I see the same thing happening today in America.

Jesus was pretty popular when he rode in to Jerusalem. Multitudes of people spread palm branches and even their own clothes before his path. Then God hardened their hearts so that his will would be done. Those same people screamed out "crucify him" less than 24 hours later. I see the same thing happening today in America.
Would be interesting to compare their respective popularity had each lived in the same relatively contemporary era (for the sake of the electric guitars and top-40 radio).

Reactions: cockofdawn
Dolly Parton? Shohei Ohtani? Scarlett Johansson? Jason Sudeikis?

I like Dolly Parton, Shohei is a great player, and Scarlett Johansson is hot...but how are any of these people and several other on this list in the top one million people, much less top 100?

Tom Brady is on the list! :rolleyes:

It's just dumb, and it probably irritates me more than it should.

https://time.com/collection/100-most-influential-people-2021/
I just want to know who F$#ked up Scarlett Johansson's self esteem so bad that she married that dweeb from SNL?

These are frivolous lists and the point you miss is it ain’t about you personally but on a much larger societal scale.
I am sure the list of who influences you is massively different as would mine, but Dolly would be on my most admired list. I would only hope that people could look at my life and say it was influenced by Dolly’s
I miss no point about this. I understand that reaction is subjective. My remarks have been thus.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT