ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tomato Pie

jroller

Jan 12, 2003
Just did a deep dive into tomato pie...maybe a bit too deep for the topic. An interesting yet unclear history.

Did you know that if you bring a tomato pie to a party those guests from the northeast might have an entirely different dish (or two) in mind? Or that the first "tomato pies" were actually green and sweet and not at all the same thing we Southerns enjoy today?

Looks like the southern tomato pie we think of is likely of a much later origin, possibly even first dreamed up by mayo manufacturers.

In the article, I included Lone Star BBQ's recipe. It has been out there for some time, so a Google search quickly reveals it and some of you may have already tried it.

I confirmed the recipe with former owner Chris Williams, as I had a couple of questions. His "looks solid" reply this morning gave me the go-ahead to press publish.

If you have an hour or so you can read the article, or you can just jump down to the recipe at the bottom. Enjoy.

Just did a deep dive into tomato pie...maybe a bit too deep for the topic. An interesting yet unclear history.

Did you know that if you bring a tomato pie to a party those guests from the northeast might have an entirely different dish (or two) in mind? Or that the first "tomato pies" were actually green and sweet and not at all the same thing we Southerns enjoy today?

Looks like the southern tomato pie we think of is likely of a much later origin, possibly even first dreamed up by mayo manufacturers.

In the article, I included Lone Star BBQ's recipe. It has been out there for some time, so a Google search quickly reveals it and some of you may have already tried it.

I confirmed the recipe with former owner Chris Williams, as I had a couple of questions. His "looks solid" reply this morning gave me the go-ahead to press publish.

If you have an hour or so you can read the article, or you can just jump down to the recipe at the bottom. Enjoy.

Nice dish for summer time light food, with a salad on the side...

They are seldom done well. Most I’ve had are runny and have too much Mayo.
My wife makes a really good one, but it took her a few times to get it down. She slices the tomatoes, salts them, and let them drain/dry on paper towels. Also, she lightly presses the tops with a paper towel. That greatly reduced how runny it was. She also cut the amount of mayo down to 25% and uses sour cream for the remaining 75% called for. Hers is pretty simple, very few ingredients, but I love it. It's alot of work, so she doesn't make it often.

My wife makes a really good one, but it took her a few times to get it down. She slices the tomatoes, salts them, and let them drain/dry on paper towels. Also, she lightly presses the tops with a paper towel. That greatly reduced how runny it was. She also cut the amount of mayo down to 25% and uses sour cream for the remaining 75% called for. Hers is pretty simple, very few ingredients, but I love it. It's alot of work, so she doesn't make it often.
My wife makes a good one as well. We first had tomato pie at Grits and Groceries, and we loved it.

This is indeed the secret to making a good tomato pie. Get the excess water out of the tomatoes. After that...any recipe is good. I cook pretty much every day. I've made a couple tomato pies this year and they were perfect. YouTube has a ton of recipes. Paula Dean has one that is exactly the way I make mine. Only sometimes I will add cooked bacon to mine. If you can follow directions there is nothing to it.

I'm told the Kudzu bakeries in Columbia, Litchfield and Mount Pleasant make a great tomato pie. I know their other baked goods are top shelf.

Reactions: jroller
Grices Market ( RPI ) on Huger sold a great tomato pie back in the day. The ones at Lone Star BBQ in Santee are just ok.

McCutchen House ( College of Culinary Science ) on the Horseshoe serves smaller tart sized versions.

They are seldom done well. Most I’ve had are runny and have too much Mayo.
This can be a big problem. I agree with the advice to salt them to remove some of the moisture. Also, if using a pie crust, you definitely want to blind bake it so it isn't mush in the bottom.
I grab one every time the family heads down to Edisto - great stand there that sells them perfectly made. It’s everyone’s favorite meal down there.
King's Market? Great place (as is Edisto in general). My son lives on 174 a few miles before King's. We picked like 8 gallons of strawberries there earlier this season. Freezer is full of them.
My wife's tomato pie is a family favorite and one the highlights of summer, yet it is unlike any of the ones described in the article.
No offense, but I had to reread this one to make sure you weren't being clever, but "family favorite" helped clarify it for me. Must have skipped family on first read. Tell me more about it. I can't imagine yet another type.

King's Market? Great place (as is Edisto in general). My son lives on 174 a few miles before King's. We picked like 8 gallons of strawberries there earlier this season. Freezer is full of them.

Yes! Kings Market. I love that place. I spend money there like my wife spends at Target.

• Haha

Nothing is quite like the homemade pie.

I’m so glad that so many members have wives with good pie and some make a deep dive as well. Congrats.

• Haha
Reactions: Cybercock
Just had my first taste of tomato pie ever at DiPratos. It was in mini form and so good - and I'm not even a big fan of tomatoes.

This can be a big problem. I agree with the advice to salt them to remove some of the moisture. Also, if using a pie crust, you definitely want to blind bake it so it isn't mush in the bottom.

No offense, but I had to reread this one to make sure you weren't being clever, but "family favorite" helped clarify it for me. Must have skipped family on first read. Tell me more about it. I can't imagine yet another type.

Ingredients
1 can refrigerated crescent rolls
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1 tsp minced garlic
8oz thinly sliced mozzarella, provolone, or both
4-5 large tomatoes (prefers fresh Jersey tomatoes)
1/4 cup grated fresh parmesan
fresh basil leaves

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Separate crescent roll dough.
3. Place dough in pie pan and press dough evenly over sides and bottom of pie pan.
4. Prick dough with fork.
5. Bake at 350 until lightly browned (10-15 minutes)
6. In saucepan, heat balsamic vinegar, olive oil, basil, and garlic over low heat (10-15 minutes)
7. Layer cheese, basil leaves, and sliced tomatoes.
8. Spoon portion of oil mixture over first layer.
9. Repeat steps 7 and 8.
10. Sprinkle with fresh parmesan.
11. Bake at 350 until cheese is melted and crust is browned.
12. Let stand for 5 minutes and slice.

Reactions: chief2791
Very interesting. You'd think those crescent rolls wouldn't be able to stand up to the moisture, even with the pre-baking. The vinaigrette is a nice touch. Might have to give this a go myself!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT