ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Vehicles with auto shut-off during a stop.

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
Is it aggravating to anyone else? My wife and kids cars have it but my truck is old enough it doesn’t. I usually press the button to disable it the first time I am stopped at a light and it shuts off on me.
I would think the wear and tear of repeatedly starting the engine would outweigh any potential fuel savings. Battery. Starter. Etc.
Any mechanics on here that can vouch for the benefits outweighing the negatives?

I'm not a mechanic at all. But from what I've read, the engine /starter is designed for this and will not wear out the engine/starter quicker (the starter was re-designed on the newer vehicles for this). There's a huge difference between cold starting an engine and this feature, which starts/stops once the engine reaches the optimum temperature. It was designed to save on emissions and help fuel economy. If you drive in heavy traffic, it is estimated to save 10% on fuel.

Again, not a mechanic, just what I read, so take it for what it's worth.

Is it aggravating to anyone else? My wife and kids cars have it but my truck is old enough it doesn’t. I usually press the button to disable it the first time I am stopped at a light and it shuts off on me.
I would think the wear and tear of repeatedly starting the engine would outweigh any potential fuel savings. Battery. Starter. Etc.
Any mechanics on here that can vouch for the benefits outweighing the negatives?
I actually asked the dealership what were the benefits of this feature. They told me it supposedly saves gas. There is a button where you can turn this feature off thank goodness...I use it all the time

Reactions: Brace1 and Judson1
My rental in Scotland had it years ago, took a while to get use to, but after a while didn't notice. My current SUV has it, doesn't both me.

Reactions: Judson1
I actually asked the dealership what were the benefits of this feature. They told me it supposedly saves gas. There is a button where you can turn this feature off thank goodness...I use it all the time
Have you done an experiment to test the fuel savings? Drive a week/month with the feature turned off, drive a week/month with the feature turned on, and compare the results?

Reactions: Judson1 and Brace1
Have you done an experiment to test the fuel savings? Drive a week/month with the feature turned off, drive a week/month with the feature turned on, and compare the results?
Not really...I don't drive enough anymore to try to figure it out. I keep hearing 10% thrown around for those who mainly drive city miles. It must be an advantage though because most of the new cars have that feature now. My wife has a 2020 Acura and it has that feature.

Probably the most satisfying $89 I've ever spent.

AE000.1.600x600_540x.jpg

I think it's stupid. I'm a lifelong auto technician, (actually teach auto tech now), and even though they say it doesn't hurt anything it still bothers me. No way I would operate a vehicle like that. Luckily none of my vehicles have that feature. To me it sounds like an idea thought up by some bean counter who knows absolutely nothing about engines, starters, etc. Reminds me of a gas powered golf cart. I know I'm old school but not every idea that saves a few cents is necessarily a good idea.

My daughter’s Audi SUV has it and I hate the thing. I turn it off at the first stop light. It’s a way for auto manufacturers to meet the stupid CAFE standards of 50+ miles per gallon in the future. Most of the new stuff on cars and trucks is irritating and/or distracting. I’ll keep my old cars without that stuff — they are a pleasure to drive.

It's to meet federal requirements on mileage for manufacturers (gross manufacturer average). The vehicle is capable of the higher mileage, but they install the on/off because most people hate it.

• Haha
My car has it and the only time it shuts off on me is when I have the a/c on which makes the a/c warm like it’s on vent. Sorry, but when I have the a/c running, I want it cold. I always shut it off either when I get in the car or the first time it cuts off on me

It is on my Highlander. Do not like it. Irritating to have engine shut down at red light. Forget about it when I first get in and then have to cut it off. Anyone know how to by-pass the system on a Highlander 2018?

I have it in my car and I just got myself in the habit of pressing the button off when I start the car. There isn't a way to disable it in the car's settings so pressing the button is the only way.

Reactions: kidrobinski
I leave mine on in my 2019 ram 1500. Hopefully it helps with gas mileage. I thought it would bother me but it’s seem less on this truck. It has Etorque or an electric motor rather than an alternator to add low end torque to the hemi v8 and allow for the engine to stop at lights and stop signs. I like it but it’s easy to turn off.

The same people who say putting corn syrup in gasoline is a good idea came up with it.....

As some have mentioned, it’s to help automakers meet federal (CAFE) emission standards.

Thats why it’s the default setting you have to turn off rather than a feature you can use if you so choose.

That’s the part I don’t like. Yeah, I can turn it off easy enough every single time, but that’s not the point.

I'm not a mechanic at all. But from what I've read, the engine /starter is designed for this and will not wear out the engine/starter quicker (the starter was re-designed on the newer vehicles for this). There's a huge difference between cold starting an engine and this feature, which starts/stops once the engine reaches the optimum temperature. It was designed to save on emissions and help fuel economy. If you drive in heavy traffic, it is estimated to save 10% on fuel.

Again, not a mechanic, just what I read, so take it for what it's worth.
Yeah I read that too; next thing I knew the dealer's telling me the battery is getting weak and needs replacing if I don't want to be sidelined somewhere. When I inquired as to the possible contribution of that auto-off nonsense all I got was a shrug. I'm just in the habit now of disabling it as soon as I crank it up.

Props to the guy that posted the "disabler" above; muchas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT