ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Weather Freak Out

Harvard Gamecock

May 5, 2014
Temps expected to hover between 29-33 on Sunday (Atl area) with a mix of snow/slush/rain.

As expected the freak out at the stores has begun. Went to our local butcher shop, clerk informed us that they were out of chicken, stew meats and ground beef and chuck, Because: Wait for it. People buying in advance of the weather.
It's one day people. ONE DAY. SHEESH
Bread, Milk and Eggs are surely the next to go.

Temps expected to hover between 29-33 on Sunday (Atl area) with a mix of snow/slush/rain.

As expected the freak out at the stores has begun. Went to our local butcher shop, clerk informed us that they were out of chicken, stew meats and ground beef and chuck, Because: Wait for it. People buying in advance of the weather.
It's one day people. ONE DAY. SHEESH
Bread, Milk and Eggs are surely the next to go.
Yeah it’s the most ridiculous thing ever. My wife has a coworker who said they went to the grocery store yesterday and the bread aisle was virtually empty as was the peanut butter and canned soup. It’s absolutely ridiculous.

• Haha
Reactions: chief2791
IMO, you can blame the media and the 24/7 news cycle. You have freaking Al Roker and his ilk - also on the local level - hammering how horrible everything will be - misery, devastation - XX millions affected/at risk. People hear it over and over, and like other things, it wears on you and people begin to freak out when there's really not a need.

IMO, you can blame the media and the 24/7 news cycle. You have freaking Al Roker and his ilk - also on the local level - hammering how horrible everything will be - misery, devastation - XX millions affected/at risk. People hear it over and over, and like other things, it wears on you and people begin to freak out when there's really not a need.
No, I'm not going to use the tired "blame the media" routine. People should be able to use some analytical thought to figure out that yes, it will be bad on one day, but in less than 2 days all remnants of snow/slush will vanish.
I hope to keep this thread on topic and not disintegrate into another quasi political thread, because frankly it's tiresome.

Amateurs! No run on toilet paper? Up here in the. Northern Virginia area, mention snow 4-5 days before a possible storm and the grocery store aisles are depleted of the basic necessities of life—— TP, bread and milk.

Reactions: Baltcock96
Not complaining about people going to the store, it's the semi hoarding for a non event.

Let me tell you how you're wrong. I'm not in SC. Im in MD and we had a snowstorm just a week ago. It was a very minor event. Maybe 6 inches which is not much for us.

Our stores were wiped out and never recovered before this storm. So if you didn't go beforehand, you had a very limited selection this week. Trucks and shipments were delayed. It has been 10 days of mostly empty shelves.

Now we have another storm coming during a holiday weekend. My boys will be home instead of in school. They will eat at least 50% more at home in a 3 day period than normal. So parents like me will need to adjust for that. Keeping that extra food on hand would be waste.

We aren't hoarders. By Tuesday our food will be gone. Plus we typically go to the store several times a week. Most families probably do.

Stores get deliveries every single day. So people doing normal shopping but just one or two days early is enough to wipe them out.

Reactions: Baltcock96
Amateurs! No run on toilet paper? Up here in the. Northern Virginia area, mention snow 4-5 days before a possible storm and the grocery store aisles are depleted of the basic necessities of life—— TP, bread and milk.
What about Pork & Beans??? =;-p

Can't believe such hasn't been mentioned within this thread yet!

No, I'm not going to use the tired "blame the media" routine. People should be able to use some analytical thought to figure out that yes, it will be bad on one day, but in less than 2 days all remnants of snow/slush will vanish.
I hope to keep this thread on topic and not disintegrate into another quasi political thread, because frankly it's tiresome.
I agree people should use some analytical thought, but it's not going to happen. That's like saying everybody should be responsible with their money. In the absence of that responsibility, I don't think its inaccurate or political to note the influence that the media has in building up an event like this. We're bombarded with it for 24 hours a day in a way that we weren't in, say, the 1980s. That doesnt mean the media is evil, it just means they are making money by selling, and perhaps overselling, a news event. I think it does contribute to the frenzied atmosphere that results in a run on groceries before a big storm.

Just because you dont want to go there doesn't mean it's not a major contributing factor.

There's a difference between being a hoarder and being stocked up. Some of us learned the hard way.
There's always items like rice, pasta, flour, oatmeal, canned goods...
You can put a lot of stuff in the freezer....
Yep, that's my wife and I. We easily have enough meat in the freezer to last us 2 weeks (probably much longer to be honest). We also have a system in the pantry, we always have a replacement. When we take something out, we always have another behind it, which gets replaced the next grocery visit. Works for us, and we're RARELY out of anything that we need.

Hoarding is what I saw last week at the grocery store. I was on the drink aisle, saw a guy that I'm casual friends with wiping out the grape Powerade's. I jokingly said "damn dude, you must be thirsty". He said that's what he drinks, they rarely have them, and he wipes them out when they do. He had at least 35-40 in his buggy.

Apologies to all, I sincerely thought I was creating a light hearted thread that might provide a chuckle or two to start the weekend.
Obviously I failed.

I sincerely wasn't trying to attack or anything. For many years I've felt just like you. I just have a different understanding now.

There are of course hoarders as well. But that mostly applies to dry goods and not the perishables that always disappear first.

I am sorry if I hijacked your thread. Was not my intention.

I'm not blaming the media,.

I watched WIS and WLTX last night talking about the Midlands.

Both weather forecasters said Columbia likely would get some ice and power outages could occur but that the temps on Monday would be in the 40s and anything would quickly melt.

I really watched the guy on WIS more than anyone else and he said 2-3 times that some areas around Newberry might get a slight dusting on elevated surfaces but that it would quickly melt and rain would be the main factor. I don't know what else he could have said to calm people down. He sure didn't make it sound scary at all.

I then checked out online what Tim Miller, formerly of WIS was saying - he's at the NBC station in Augusta now and has a great, almost nightly, weather chat on his facebook page.

He mentioned that road temperatures would be well above freezing and the roads would be fine - and specifically stated numerous times there was no reason for people to be freaked out. He mentioned some areas might see some freezing rain and ice and he couldn't rule out some areas with some power outages but he also stressed the temps would be warm enough to not cause any serious problems.

Many people just hear what they want to hear - like usual.

Last edited:
I agree completely. Now, if only we can convince the other 350 million Americans to consume their news responsibly. . .
...and in all fairness, some of the local news & TWC have shown short clips on what to have on hand in emergencies....batteries (of course) at the top of the lists.

...and in all fairness, some of the local news & TWC have shown short clips on what to have on hand in emergencies....batteries (of course) at the top of the lists.
SCEMD has been good about putting out updates on their social media, with gentle reminders that things MIGHT get nasty, so be prepared. But don't freak the heck out.

Let me tell you how you're wrong. I'm not in SC. Im in MD and we had a snowstorm just a week ago. It was a very minor event. Maybe 6 inches which is not much for us.

Our stores were wiped out and never recovered before this storm. So if you didn't go beforehand, you had a very limited selection this week. Trucks and shipments were delayed. It has been 10 days of mostly empty shelves.

Now we have another storm coming during a holiday weekend. My boys will be home instead of in school. They will eat at least 50% more at home in a 3 day period than normal. So parents like me will need to adjust for that. Keeping that extra food on hand would be waste.

We aren't hoarders. By Tuesday our food will be gone. Plus we typically go to the store several times a week. Most families probably do.

Stores get deliveries every single day. So people doing normal shopping but just one or two days early is enough to wipe them out.
You’re in Maryland which gets actual snow. We’re in SC where it’s going to be 2 hours of cold rain.

I know this is the trendy thing to blame the media now but this has been going on since the 70s.

You’re in Maryland which gets actual snow. We’re in SC where it’s going to be 2 hours of cold rain.

True. But snow is rather easy to deal with. Ice is much worse and that's what SC is likely to see.

Thats why you see so many northerners crashing in SC during snow and ice storms.

They think they drive well on snow but in reality they just drive well on roads treated with millions of dollars in salt and sand.

True. But snow is rather easy to deal with. Ice is much worse and that's what SC is likely to see.

Thats why you see so many northerners crashing in SC during snow and ice storms.

They think they drive well on snow but in reality they just drive well on roads treated with millions of dollars in salt and sand.
Agreed but again the low is projected at 32. The odds of it being dangerous ice levels for more than a few hours if at all are extremely low.

Apologies to all, I sincerely thought I was creating a light hearted thread that might provide a chuckle or two to start the weekend.
Obviously I failed.

greta-thunberg.gif

• Haha
Back when the pipeline got hacked I remember going to get gas because we were taking a quick trip out to Oklahoma. It was infuriating because we actually needed the gas, but most stations were empty and the one that had gas I had to wait in line forever because all the idiots were out in force. The absurdity of people stockpiling over a temporary shortage is so insane.

By overreacting you create a problem worse than the actual problem.

Back when the pipeline got hacked I remember going to get gas because we were taking a quick trip out to Oklahoma. It was infuriating because we actually needed the gas, but most stations were empty and the one that had gas I had to wait in line forever because all the idiots were out in force. The absurdity of people stockpiling over a temporary shortage is so insane.

By overreacting you create a problem worse than the actual problem.
We went to Disney while all of that was going on and were just blown away at the number of people who were going down 95 with 8 or 9 gas cans strapped to their trailer hitch table and in the back of their pickups.

I'm not blaming the media,.

I watched WIS and WLTX last night talking about the Midlands.

Both weather forecasters said Columbia likely would get some ice and power outages could occur but that the temps on Monday would be in the 40s and anything would quickly melt.

I really watched the guy on WIS more than anyone else and he said 2-3 times that some areas around Newberry might get a slight dusting on elevated surfaces but that it would quickly melt and rain would be the main factor. I don't know what else he could have said to calm people down. He sure didn't make it sound scary at all.

I then checked out online what Tim Miller, formerly of WIS was saying - he's at the NBC station in Augusta now and has a great, almost nightly, weather chat on his facebook page.

He mentioned that road temperatures would be well above freezing and the roads would be fine - and specifically stated numerous times there was no reason for people to be freaked out. He mentioned some areas might see some freezing rain and ice and he couldn't rule out some areas with some power outages but he also stressed the temps would be warm enough to not cause any serious problems.

Many people just hear what they want to hear - like usual.
Local news is all but obsolete though. Most of the country now watches sensational, fear mongering national news because of the way these cable and streaming services are setup. Blackrock TV.

I don’t think it’s fair to chastise people for the wanting to be prepared for the unknown. Last time we had ice I didn’t have power for a week. Now you have workforce issues and it could be longer.

items in a grocery store and gas are first come first serve. It’s dumb to come on here and complain that shelves are empty when you are waiting 2 days before a significant weather event and the shelves are empty. That’s a you problem not an everyone else problem. Same goes whenever things happen to gas pipelines. It’s people’s right to buy what they want. It’s not their problem you were late to the game.

I don’t think it’s fair to chastise people for the wanting to be prepared for the unknown. Last time we had ice I didn’t have power for a week. Now you have workforce issues and it could be longer.

items in a grocery store and gas are first come first serve. It’s dumb to come on here and complain that shelves are empty when you are waiting 2 days before a significant weather event and the shelves are empty. That’s a you problem not an everyone else problem. Same goes whenever things happen to gas pipelines. It’s people’s right to buy what they want. It’s not their problem you were late to the game.
Prepared is one thing. Buying 5 gallons of milk for a family of 3 is a bit much. Yes, there are folks that have done that.

We went to Disney while all of that was going on and were just blown away at the number of people who were going down 95 with 8 or 9 gas cans strapped to their trailer hitch table and in the back of their pickups.
Heaven forbid people be prepared. I will laugh like hell when the day comes and you are not because you think it’s stupid. Don’t go asking them to help you out when they have gas and you don’t.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT