ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What temp do you have set for your air conditioning?

Rock Hill Cock

Oct 29, 1998
I tried 78 last night and it was just too warm. I grew up without air….the first time I lived in air conditioning was at the Honeycombs my soph year… and I worked in my dad's paint and body shop with no air and a tin roof. Talk about hot, dirty work! And the first car I had with air was a 1978 Monte Carlo. But I was a lot younger and not spoiled back then.

I believe that air conditioning is one of the top 10 all time inventions.

Reactions: spinrbait
I tried 78 last night and it was just too warm. I grew up without air….the first time I lived in air conditioning was at the Honeycombs my soph year… and I worked in my dad's paint and body shop with no air and a tin roof. Talk about hot, dirty work! And the first car I had with air was a 1978 Monte Carlo. But I was a lot younger and not spoiled back then.

Depends on the time of day and what are the actual temps outside. Right now during the day 78 degrees, about 8 pm cut it down the 76, hour later to 74, and at 10 pull it down to 72 or 73. Before I go to bed, I move it up to 75( rarely does the unit cut on during the night). At 6 am I pull it back down to 73, and before I go to work move it to 78. If it is only going to be in the upper 80's, the top temp is 76.

It's best to pick one temp and leave it there. I've tried the programmable thermostats but they didn't save me anything. They're not what they're cracked up to be. Simple thermostats are better and cheaper.

Reactions: Cocky kebo57
It's best to pick one temp and leave it there. I've tried the programmable thermostats but they didn't save me anything. They're not what they're cracked up to be. Simple thermostats are better and cheaper.

What he said - and face it folks, sometimes you just have to sweat it out here in The South!!

Nah, I set mine for 78 when I'm gone during the day and then 76 when I get home. But, I'm cheap. I don't like $200 power bills.

Programmable thermostat here; can climb to 81 when no one is home. Cools back to 78 in the evenings, and 77 overnight. I grew up that way (warmer than a lot of folks can stand), but I also hate $300 power bills.....which is what it would be if I let my wife run the 'stat. LOL!!

Reactions: APRCock
Between 76-78 and usually 77. I hate the synthetically cold feeling of an over-air conditioned room in the middle of summer.

78 and I keep fans running throughout the house.

70 during the day, but it isnt keeping up in this heat. then 68 at night. my electric bill is less than 200 dollars. but i don't care how much it costs. i cant sleep when i'm hot.

Reactions: usc4ever15
I keep mine on 72 w/ceiling fans running 24/7. I crank it down to 70 in the morning when I shower. Hate sweating right out of the shower. I didn't have a/c until I was 15 but I'm not 15 now.

73. We have ceiling fans in every room except the kitchen and dinning room but I rarely ever run them anymore.

HOI_123701.jpg

been in the a/c business for 31 years now, temps for people will vary all day long. what u need to concentrate on is the humidity in your house. mine is 77 and hum around 50%. u feel the hum most of the time in your house long before the temp. do u know the temp of your frig? no u dont, but u turn down to temp till your tea or beer is where u like it so consider the house the same. u maybe able to run at 80 if the hum can get down to 40%. old drafty windows and doors r your biggest killer in humidity control.
also, most all a/c units are deisgned at 95deg max and hun level in the 80's so this week u r asking your unit to do more than it was designed to do.

A thermostat is only as good as the system it's connected to. If your A/C is insufficient for the job, a programmable thermostat isn't going to help that. Ours is set on 78 during weekdays, then 75 starting at 4pm, then down to 72 at 10pm where it stays until 7am when it goes back to 78. On all but the hottest days, it keeps up.

That's funny. I started a thread about this on IF. I am cold natured and am glad I don't live with anyone who sets their thermo in the 70s. I have ceiling fans in most rooms and set thermo on 86 during the day and 84 at nite. Sometimes 84 feels too cold for me as it did last nite.

72 all day, but i like to keep my furniture cool....my furniture does not like to be hot

i have it set on 72, but everyone in my family screws with it

I heat and cool ,2400 sq ft. and keep mine on 76. I had a 400 dollar electric bill last month and started reading my meter each day. Presently in this heat using an average of 105 kw a day. Do have a pool which is included in daily kw use.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT