Montana territory, USA, scout and strategist for Gen. George S. Custer
Moscow, Russia, Chief bodyguard and for the Romanov family
Watts, Los Angeles, California, ku klux clan organizer
Vostok Station, Anartica, entrepreneur and snowball stand manager
New York City, after hours subway greeter
South side-Chicago, Illinois, street evangelist
San Francisco, California, street sweeper and syringe recycler
Gaffney, SC, dispenser of myth and bad ideas, toilet paper rationing officer

For the sake of what little internet anonymity I may have, I'll just say I've lived in three of 4 US time zones, roughly between the 31st parallel north and the 46th parallel north.

La Barbecue. But honestly, I think brisket in general is overrated. You want the real Texas deal? Beef ribs. You'll think you're eating a dinosaur bone (a la pic). La Barbecue and Stiles Switch both have fantasmic beef ribs.

Hard to find good pulled pork around here. There was a place called Mann's that is no longer open. Mr. and Mrs. Mann were from Newnan, Georgia and served pulled pork, brunswick stew, blackeyed peas, baked beans, collards, and homemade ice cream. They had every displaced Southerner in Austin by the balls. I make my own vinegar pepper sauce and smoke pork shoulders at home.

qAdNiRcZXUcovIvAhKt_jmldswW3aNZnMBmwqCAJqhQSK4Tn2Nlxccil2k-ibm3x4xh5U_aH9UQLLtCeXAFiybg5-yFQ-Z1KuwuyAt9tedcZZ9h0XrLhYHbY2O4aBXHk3ttJSkiGdz545u7C1M55vSPuGoA

Favorite brisket in Austin?

Last edited:
I was living in the LA when I met my wife. She had a nicer house in K-town and my family was still living near there. So it was a no-brainer we would live in her house.

We think we will move somewhere coastal maybe after my daughter graduates. Maybe.
Best wishes. There's no place on the developed S.C. coast I would move to. I hope you find a good spot someplace.

Born in Columbia, S.C.
Winnsboro, S.C.
Ridgeway, S.C.
Westville, S.C. (between Camden and Kershaw)
Georgetown, S.C.
Pickens, S.C.
Florence, S.C.
Fort Lawn, S.C.
Columbia, S.C again
Lancaster, S.C.
Me? And not that it makes a hill'a beans, but...

Born in LA
Moved to Cola.
Graduated from USC and moved to Pineville (i.e. the burb just south of Charlotte), moved back to LA, then back to Cola., then back here to Charlotte!

Not an exact wide path of hometowns, but my arse has traveled all over the United States, with the only exceptions being California, Washington State, Oregon, Alaska and Hawaii!!!

Charleston SC
New London Conn (sucked!)
Charleston SC
Columbia SC
San Diego CA
Pensacola FL
Seattle WA
Ventura CA
Sacramento CA
Palm Springs CA
San Francisco CA
San Jose CA

Married a California girl otherwise would have come back to the South!

How did New London, Conn suck? Did they did not accept southerners.

born in Charleston. grew up in the Avondale area. It was much different back then. Zero hipsters and a Krispy Kreme.
James Island, SC
Hilton Head Island, SC
Back to James Island, SC
Johns Island, SC

Born and raised in Georgetown SC in 1944
Moved to Columbia SC in 1964
Moved to Greenville SC in 1966 and still here.

Also spend a lot of time at my second home on Lake Murray near Chapin for the past 27 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaimcock
Greenville, SC (born)
Franklin, NC
Greenville, SC
Tigerville, SC (NGJC)
Johnson City, Tenn (ETSU)
Greenville, SC
Marion, NC

North Augusta, SC,
Columbia, SC
Quantico, VA
Carlsbad, CA
Okinawa, Japan
Emerald Isle, NC
Dallas, TX
Hilton Head, SC
Atlanta, GA
Sunny Isles Beach, FL

Curious to see where all folks have lived, starting with where you were born to current. Give as little/as much (or no) detail as you like.

Born: Gadsden, SC (born in Baptist Hospital in Cola)
Columbia
Sumter
Chattanooga, TN
Greenville
Clemson
Charleston
Sasebo, Japan (courtesy of the USN)
Rockville, MD
White Plains, MD
Prince Frederick, MD

Amarillo Texas
San Antonio Texas
Manchester California
Lynnwood Washington
Anchorage Alaska
Myrtle Beach SC
Hopkins SC
Irmo SC
Lugoff SC
Rock Hill SC

Greer, SC
Pickens, SC
Asheville, NC
Ft Sill, OK
Kunsan, South Korea
Kurecik, Turkey
Ft Bliss, TX

born in Charleston. grew up in the Avondale area. It was much different back then. Zero hipsters and a Krispy Kreme.
James Island, SC
Hilton Head Island, SC
Back to James Island, SC
Johns Island, SC

James,
Yeah, it may not be in SC. But if it is it will probably be around Pawleys.

I drank lots of beer at the 2nd Pawleys Pavillion back in the early 60s. Just 11 miles from my house

Reactions: TheReelEss
James Island, SC
Hilton Head Island, SC
Back to James Island, SC
Johns Island, SC

Hmm, Johns and James Island. Spent lots of time during the Summers in the 50’s visiting those islands with relatives all over them and Wadmalaw. Fun times.

Reactions: Gaimcock
Augusta, Ga (B)
Covington, VA
Summerville
Clemson
Seneca (headed there now to help with the tornado clean up)
Auburn
Athens
Hoschton, GA
Augusta again
Summerville

Kinards, SC
Tifton, GA
Greenville, SC
Clinton, SC
Laurens, SC
Whitmire, SC
Tulsa, OK
Joanna, SC

I think that's all of them unless you count right at Furman as being Traveler's Rest.

Yeah, the wife will be retired after a year and I already work from home. I plan to retire on about 6 years. We love Pawleys...

Well heck, now that you mention it, and upon a quick review of the long-stashed contractual notes of which you and I came to "mutually agreeable" terms and conditions, and of which you and I signed off on at the 19th hole (i.e. the bar) at Pawleys Plantation Golf and Country Club back in April of 2000, I have simply got to let my excitement and euphoria of moving in with ya "Hot Ol' Lady" be known to the world!!!! (and yeah, I am intentionally NOT referencing you within any way in that last sentence!!!)

In fact, I must say that I am at least just as excited as you might possibly be in regards to "our" mutually beneficial move to Pawleys!!

I mean dude, that Double Eagle that I nailed with that 25' putt on the Par 5 14th hole was a wonderful thing, and I boastfully admit that my "Nicklaus style" putting was as perfect a method as possible on a Nicklaus designed course, of course!!

And of course in regards to our mutually agreed upon terms, just as was decided back in April of 2000, and just between the two of us, by no means will I within any way release, nor make our terms known in any way, shape nor form by no more than simply stating the following: Dude, I woulda letcha borrow that $10 had ya merely asked me for such!!!

And in my offer of the following in regards to you being short on the $10, man I was really only just BS'n widcha in regards to you having to wear that Pickens County Collidge Sweatshirt at each and every Gamecock home game of each and every every sport you may have attended that year!!!!

But now as far as sharing your spouse, well after having reviewed the photos that my PI obtained for me over the last few beach trips that you and she made over the last few summers (as well as a few other photo opportunities that I honestly believe that you are simply unaware of), man that hot gal in those hot bikini's is gonna be pretty dang hard for a middle aged fella like myself to respectfully turn down!! SmokinSmile

In closing, and having stated as much as I have within these last few paragraphs, T.R.E. my man, its all good!! I mean I do believe that two LA natives such as you and I will be more than able to come to terms as easy as it is to read this post herein!!!

Peace 'n out here my man!! Peace 'n out I am!!!
:D:p:cool:

Gaim

Last edited:
Anyone born in a city and never lived anywhere else? Just wondering as I try to digest the previous post....
Well, from a slightly different comparison, I for instance do honestly consider South Charlotte(i.e. Pineville area), Rock Hill/Fort Mill and North Columbia (i.e. Blythewood area) to be the same area as a whole so to speak.

I mean in comparison to lets say Long Island, N.Y., its 124 miles from 42 Broadway in downtown New York to The Montauk Lighthouse Museum on the far eastern side of Long Island.

From Blythewood, SC (i.e. North Columbia) to Pineville, NC (i.e. South Charlotte), its only 67 miles, or 1 hour and 5 mins +/-. I've Lived in LA, Columbia, Pineville, Blythewood and now in downtown Charlotte on S. Blvd. To get to point here, and even though my area of reference herein does indeed include the parts/areas of 2 states, its still the same area!!

Hope that meets your request at least somewhat! If not, then hey, all I've wasted is my own time so to speak!! :cool::p:DSmokinSmile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT