ADVERTISEMENT

OT - worst Resturant service

usc_nc

Jul 26, 2005
It summer and six weeks to Week Zero Games

A little fun or a little revenge

What is your worst restaurant service?

I have been to Coconut Joes on Isle of Palms two times in six months and BOTH times the server upped the tip. Thieves!

Let’s hear your story?

Over priced venue I went to in spring of 2021 celebrating a friends birthday in Greenville. Expensive Bar B Q joint that was way overpriced. Had to ask for the TV to be turned to the Final Four over a regular season college softball game.

Food didn’t come for almost an hour. Wasn’t any good. 6 months later they “closed due to Covid”.

Let’s hear your story?

I haven't had any bad service in a long time. I've had great service and so-so service but nothing I'd consider poor in quite awhile.

I tip 20% most of the time. I've done that for a long time now.

Reactions: purenonsense
I haven't had any bad service in a long time. I've had great service and so-so service but nothing I'd consider poor in quite awhile.

I tip 20% most of the time. I've done that for a long time now.
I did tip 20%
They upped it to 40%

• Wow
Reactions: Flameout12
That is bad- and illegal I would think.
Sometimes the tip is built in if you don't see that on the bill I assume they think you are just extra-tipping and don't say anything, it's happened to me just like that. That's not really bad service.

I have been to Coconut Joes on Isle of Palms two times in six months and BOTH times the server upped the tip. Thieves!

Let’s hear your story?
Dayum! I guess I better start photographing any merchant copies of receipts I sign when visiting IOP. That is theft.

Sometimes the tip is built in if you don't see that on the bill I assume they think you are just extra-tipping and don't say anything, it's happened to me just like that. That's not really bad service.
Unfortunately no.
The server just decided to give them self some extra money.
I believe stealing from some one who gave you a 20% tip is bad service (especially since my company does not allow alcohol on company expenses- I tipped 50% or $5 on the personal charge card)

Definitely bad service

Reactions: cockn'fyr
Unfortunately no.
The server just decided to give them self some extra money.
I believe stealing from some one who gave you a 20% tip is bad service (especially since my company does not allow alcohol on company expenses- I tipped 50% or $5 on the personal charge card)

Definitely bad service
Yeah, that’s theft! I would be talking to the manager!

The Woody on Main- my group went there for brunch maybe a year ago. It took FOREVER. Probably 40 minutes after we ordered there were no signs of the food. You know how when it’s time to leave a restaurant after eating, because you have been in that seat so long that your back starts getting sore and butt goes numb and you need to get up and stretch out? I was at that point and the food wasn’t even out yet. We questioned the waiter and I can’t remember what she said. We waited and waited again to the point where I set a timer on my phone and whispered to my buddy that if this thing reaches 20 minutes we are leaving and walking to The Grande! He agreed. Myself and the majority of our peeps wanted to leave cash for the drinks and just go somewhere else. But one of us wanted to stay. So we waited and waited some more. When the food did finally come out……. Everyone got theirs except for the guy who wanted to stay. 😂 🤣😆 His came out probably 15 to 20 minutes later. I think they gave him a free or discounted meal coupon for the trouble. For the time we waited none of us should have paid for those meals. The Woody is probably a good place to go to other than for food. Or maybe they didn’t have it together that morning. Regardless, I haven’t been back.

Miyabi in Harbsion. I love this place and will
Still go in person. I’ve had several birthdays for myself and other people there. I just advise against ordering out from there. One evening I ordered out. When I went to pick the food up the bill was like $30 more than the round about number I had in my head for what the bill should be. Down at the bottom of the receipt there was a $30ish dollar gratuity charge on top of the three $15 dollar meals I had ordered! They said it’s for the cooks and basically entire staff. I left it and picked up a pizza on the way home.

I had someone tell me this in a conversation, and I asked "when"?

It's been 15% my entire life.

Sadly 15% is not shown as an option on the electronic pay pads I've seen lately. 20% is the lowest tip but I've recently learned you can click on custom tip and then add any amount you want.

Reactions: ShannonL
Over priced venue I went to in spring of 2021 celebrating a friends birthday in Greenville. Expensive Bar B Q joint that was way overpriced. Had to ask for the TV to be turned to the Final Four over a regular season college softball game.

Food didn’t come for almost an hour. Wasn’t any good. 6 months later they “closed due to Covid”.
Was it Husk ? Their original concept didn’t make it and they rebranded as a BBQ place and didn’t last very long -

There is a big difference in being in a big tourist location where bad service can be overcome by advertising - But f you are going to rely on local repeat business /. You best be worth the prices you are charging.

Was it Husk ? Their original concept didn’t make it and they rebranded as a BBQ place and didn’t last very long -

There is a big difference in being in a big tourist location where bad service can be overcome by advertising - But f you are going to rely on local repeat business /. You best be worth the prices you are charging.
I was thinking of Bacon Bros but Husk is another example.

I agree whole heartedly with the second paragraph. If you’re in a high traffic area you can make some mistakes and still make it just off foot traffic. But if you’re in a locals only area you best be good. I would argue competition in the Upstate is as good as anywhere. If you’re not good, people won’t go there long.

Sadly 15% is not shown as an option on the electronic pay pads I've seen lately. 20% is the lowest tip but I've recently learned you can click on custom tip and then add any amount you want.
Interestingly, my philosophy for many years has been that if a donation request asks for $25, $50, $100, $200… I give nothing. If they ask for $3, $5, $10… I’ll give them a decent amount ($20-50). Sounds like the same should go for tips.

BTW, during Covid it made sense to tip when doing takeout because the servers were getting no table business. I stopped tipping for takeout or counter service when I ordered a burger at an empty counter service restaurant, included a tip, and then waited 40 minutes for my food. Tips are for good service provided. It’s not just free extra money for the hell of it.

Be wary of C. Ellet's in the Battery @ Truist Park, upscale steakhouse that just didn't meet expectation, very pricey, slow service and the steak that I got I would have been embarassed to serve a guest in my home.

Also, Hurricane Jules in Little River, SC used to be pretty good back in the day as Captain Jules, we like to get away from the crowd, it has been a while since we ate there, but for some reason this year they were having trouble in the kitchen, it took about the amount of time as the service at the Woody, and the food was soso, would not recommend. One of those situations where you wonder why the meal wasn't comped, I guess they don't depend on repeat business.

I always seem to get horrible service at Hardees. I dont understand how they stay in business. No one is ever there eating and the food takes forever and the employees are always jackasses.

Yesterday, I got served a chicken sandwich by a robot. I asked it if it accepted tips, and it turned around and wheeled away.

200w.gif

Reactions: bayrooster
I always seem to get horrible service at Hardees. I dont understand how they stay in business. No one is ever there eating and the food takes forever and the employees are always jackasses.

I think most of their business is breakfast customers.

About 7-8 years ago I had a Burger King manager complaining to me about how his location just wasn't the "cool" place to hang out for families. He was talking about other chains nearby that did more business.

I told him I was not in his business but from my point of view, McDonalds had hit a home run when they came out with their coffee offerings. At the time, McDonalds coffee was all the rage and I knew tons of people that stopped by there almost every morning for coffee.

I told him it was the "cool" thing to do at the time.

I also mentioned a few other chains that I thought felt safe for families that want to dine in. I also mentioned how some chains focused on extremely nice cashiers, etc...- and that made people want to come there.

He was a nice guy but he acted like he had never heard this before and had never thought of it. I had a hard time believing Burger King corporate wouldn't train them on this type of stuff.

I like Burger King fine. But it's not one of the places you think of when you think of 1) great service, 2) very nice employees, etc.

This can also be true for Taco Bell. One Taco Bell I visit has a cashier that knows my name and knows the name of customers. I go in there about 2 times a month and if she's working, she always says hi to me by name. She's now asked me about my wife and children and will ask about them from time to time.

When someone comes in she doesn't know, she will ask them their name. Yeah, some people don't care about this but it's a very nice touch that after awhile means something to plenty of people.

There is another Taco Bell that is actually closer to my house that I will avoid at almost all costs because they never act like they care if I go there or not. I drive further to visit the place with the cashier that knows my name.

Who eats this up the most? When I am in there, retired/older couples who are eating together. I've seen them brighten up when she calls their name.

Last edited:
I recall stopping at the McDonald's at Two Notch and Beltline. I was the only customer in the place but stood at the counter patiently waiting while the teenage employees were joking and carrying on with each other. After being ignored for several minutes I announced in a loud voice, "I'll come back when ya'll aren't so busy" and left.

Reactions: usc_nc
True…not necessarily bad service but bad practice and possibly illegal

Reactions: cockn'fyr
I recall stopping at the McDonald's at Two Notch and Beltline. I was the only customer in the place but stood at the counter patiently waiting while the teenage employees were joking and carrying on with each other. After being ignored for several minutes I announced in a loud voice, "I'll come back when ya'll aren't so busy" and left.
That McD's is notorious for the shtty service.

Since when did BBQ become so expensive. Down here at Rodney Scott’s you’ll pay almost $20 a pound. Or a sit down meal will run you the same price as a nice seafood restaurant. Thanks Joe.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Since when did BBQ become so expensive. Down here at Rodney Scott’s you’ll pay almost $20 a pound. Or a sit down meal will run you the same price as a nice seafood restaurant. Thanks Joe.
Great question but it has. Chicken wings too. Since 2020 chicken wings have become the new steak.

I think most of their business is breakfast customers.

About 7-8 years ago I had a Burger King manager complaining to me about how his location just wasn't the "cool" place to hang out for families. He was talking about other chains nearby that did more business.

I told him I was not in his business but from my point of view, McDonalds had hit a home run when they came out with their coffee offerings. At the time, McDonalds coffee was all the rage and I knew tons of people that stopped by there almost every morning for coffee.

I told him it was the "cool" thing to do at the time.

I also mentioned a few other chains that I thought felt safe for families that want to dine in. I also mentioned how some chains focused on extremely nice cashiers, etc...- and that made people want to come there.

He was a nice guy but he acted like he had never heard this before and had never thought of it. I had a hard time believing Burger King corporate wouldn't train them on this type of stuff.

I like Burger King fine. But it's not one of the places you think of when you think of 1) great service, 2) very nice employees, etc.

This can also be true for Taco Bell. One Taco Bell I visit has a cashier that knows my name and knows the name of customers. I go in there about 2 times a month and if she's working, she always says hi to me by name. She's now asked me about my wife and children and will ask about them from time to time.

When someone comes in she doesn't know, she will ask them their name. Yeah, some people don't care about this but it's a very nice touch that after awhile means something to plenty of people.

There is another Taco Bell that is actually closer to my house that I will avoid at almost all costs because they never act like they care if I go there or not. I drive further to visit the place with the cashier that knows my name.

Who eats this up the most? When I am in there, retired/older couples who are eating together. I've seen them brighten up when she calls their name.
Likewise I always call service employees by their name. For instance if I’m at a restaurant and the server says “hi, I’m Jane and I’ll be your server”, I’ll always say “hi Jane, how are you today.?”

I learned that as a young boy watching the movie Song of the South. The most important lesson in that movie I learned is that if someone asks “How you?” you always say “Fine, how you” back to them. But that’s was when Disney movies taught manners to young children instead of today when they teach homosexuality to kids.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
By the way, too often, I call for take out. They put you on hold FOREVER. That has happened with Outback too often. That happened yesterday with Cracker Barrel. I got tired of waiting and said "Fkem" and hung up on them.

40%?????. I am old enough to remember when 10% was the norm. I typically do 20%.
Yes 10% was pretty good
And I don’t mind 20%
But when I authorize $7.00 and they change it with out my knowledge to $14.00, then that is bad service and theft.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT