ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Yesterday I watched the one and only NASCAR race that...

Anna_Nimmitty

Jul 28, 2010
I'll watch this year, and if it stays the same, then to hail with it 4ever on out.

I'm old school NASCAR, from back in the Yarborough days ( BTW, met his beautiful red haired daughter back in my days as a USC student, she and I worked together at the state senate offices).

Anyway, this newly implemented "quarter" theory (i.e. like a football game) in stock car racing is total BS IMHO!!! Man, it's already hard enough to tell the different car brands apart, I know very few of the drivers, and come on now, WIGN is it necessary to divvy up the actual race time???

That's it. That's my beotch for the day.

Peace, Out.

I don't have a major issue with it. The "stages" were implemented to make the whole race more significant. How many drivers just sit back and tune in their car for the final 100 laps. Therefore, 4/5 of the race is just ho-hum. Many fans watching the race just sit back, have a few beers, and chit chat through the race, and then turn the volume up and hush everyone around them when the race laps get the double digits. On the surface, I could never verbally explain to a non-fan how NASCAR is interesting. It is cars running in circles for 500 miles. I may as well explain how paint drying is interesting. Same could be said for golf. Well, you put a little white ball on a wooden stick and hit it. Well, what then? You then go find it, and hit it again until you put it in the hole. You do that 18 times, and then go home. You then complain about how much it cost, and how sucky you played. One week later, you do it again.

Reactions: danny_dristor
I'll watch this year, and if it stays the same, then to hail with it 4ever on out.

I'm old school NASCAR, from back in the Yarborough days ( BTW, met his beautiful red haired daughter back in my days as a USC student, she and I worked together at the state senate offices).

Anyway, this newly implemented "quarter" theory (i.e. like a football game) in stock car racing is total BS IMHO!!! Man, it's already hard enough to tell the different car brands apart, I know very few of the drivers, and come on now, WIGN is it necessary to divvy up the actual race time???

Peace, Out.
You know, when I watched Cale Yarborough win two in a row at Daytona - live on CBS , back when races were first being carried live - Ken Squires and Ned Jarrett providing the commentary, I thought I would watch forever. I didn't even turn it on yesterday, actually having forgotten it was Daytona Sunday. That's what NASCAR has become to me. No league or athletic organization has ever taken a great product and utterly ruined it to the greater degree than NASCAR has stock car racing. They laid waste to a "couldn't miss" enterprise.

I don't have a major issue with it. The "stages" were implemented to make the whole race more significant. How many drivers just sit back and tune in their car for the final 100 laps. Therefore, 4/5 of the race is just ho-hum. Many fans watching the race just sit back, have a few beers, and chit chat through the race, and then turn the volume up and hush everyone around them when the race laps get the double digits. On the surface, I could never verbally explain to a non-fan how NASCAR is interesting. It is cars running in circles for 500 miles. I may as well explain how paint drying is interesting. Same could be said for golf. Well, you put a little white ball on a wooden stick and hit it. Well, what then? You then go find it, and hit it again until you put it in the hole. You do that 18 times, and then go home. You then complain about how much it cost, and how sucky you played. One week later, you do it again.
I dig your point there, but really, the only interesting part is 2/25 of the race in Daytona: the last 2 laps!! Awesome Bill from Dawsonville's son was driving Gordans old #24 yesterday and at the end was in 1st place until the 198th lap. What'd he finish, 10th or so??

Last edited:
Reactions: IrmoRed
Enter USC-1 to tell us all how we're dead wrong & na$car is better than it's ever been in 5....4....3....2....

And OP, that daughter of Cale's you're referencing is Kelly. She happens to be a good friend of my sister.

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
About 40 bikes did a run down to Everglade City, then Naples, from Ft Lauderdale yesterday.
During our lunch stop, we were trying to figure out when the Dayton race would be. 'Next week', and a 'couple of weeks before Bike Week' were about the closest answers, next to 'I dunno'.

At least I kept harping It's always in February, it's always in February ... or the 4th of July.
Point being,.... even the locals don't care.

Hard to wrap your arms around a sport whose Super Bowl is the first game of the season and keeps changing the rules as the season goes along.

Enter USC-1 to tell us all how we're dead wrong & na$car is better than it's ever been in 5....4....3....2....

And OP, that daughter of Cale's you're referencing is Kelly. She happens to be a good friend of my sister.
You Sir, are correct! Kelly was a very pretty and wonderful girl to work with back then! I thought about trying to hook-up with her to try to marry into the Yarborough $$!! But, I just ain't that kinda guy. Instead a married a pretty BFH who ended up taking me for what little $$ I had! Oh, the irony of life sometimes!!

Peace, Out.

Yes, I saw in the paper this morning there was a race in Daytona yesterday. Somebody won, not sure who or why......

I dig your point there, but really, the only interesting part is 2/25 of the race in Daytona: the last 2 laps!! Awesome Bill from Dawsonville's son was driving Gordans old #24 yesterday and at the end was in 1st place until the 198th lap. What'd he finish, 10th or so??

Chase is everything that has been advertised. He will win, just a matter of when. Could have, should have been yesterday. Not disappointed in the eventual winner. Kurt pushed two winners across the line to become Daytona 500 winners. I'm glad he got his. Even though it came at the hands of half the field being demolished. No doubt NASCAR has lost its roots, but I will still take it over the NBA and MLB. I usually have an added interest with small wagers against my friends.

Last edited:
You know, when I watched Cale Yarborough win two in a row at Daytona - live on CBS , back when races were first being carried live - Ken Squires and Ned Jarrett providing the commentary, I thought I would watch forever. I didn't even turn it on yesterday, actually having forgotten it was Daytona Sunday. That's what NASCAR has become to me. No league or athletic organization has ever taken a great product and utterly ruined it to the greater degree than NASCAR has stock car racing. They laid waste to a "couldn't miss" enterprise.
The main culprit for the decline in NASCAR popularity is none other than Bruton Smith,
the man with too damn much money and too little sense. He envisioned a plan for NASCAR
that was one of expanding nationally (and eventually internationally ) with him owning
most of the new racing venues. He bought, and closed, the Rockingham and N. Wilksboro
tracks. He was instrumental in taking the Labor day race away from Darlington. ( Thank
goodness that has been corrected.)
He then proceeded to move these races to places like Kansas, Phoenix,Chicago, New
Hampshire, etc......He also built those "cookie cutter" mile and a half tracks that have
resulted in some of the dullest races ever.
Last year, he whined that NASCAR needed to do something to restore NASCAR's
dwindling fan base. I agree, starting with kicking the Wheeler family the hell out of NASCAR.

Ya know, I always liked old Ned Jarrett, but his son, Dale, was a pretty danged awesome driver as-well!!

Reactions: paladin181
Ya know, I always liked old Ned Jarrett, but his son, Dale, was a pretty danged awesome driver as-well!!
I was a huge Dale Jarrett fan. I was so glad he got a championship. My dad was a fan of number 3. I never really held that against him. ;) After all, he's the reason I became a Gamecocks fan. My dad was a huge fan when I was a kid. I didn't get it. I attended classes at USC for a year at his behest. Then he passed away right as I joined the Navy. I saw the love he had for USC when we went 1-21. I saw us beat Ohio State two years in a row in bowl games and I have been a huge fan in his honor ever since.

Chase is everything that has been advertised. He will win, just a matter of when. Could have, should have been yesterday. Not disappointed in the eventual winner. Kurt pushed two winners across the line to become Daytona 500 winners. I'm glad he got his. Even though it came at the hands of half the field being demolished. No doubt NASCAR has lost its roots, but I will still take it over the NBA and MLB. I usually have an added interest with small wagers against my friends.
Ryan Blaney is better than advertised. Made a couple great moves to move to 2nd place on the last lap. Grew up with his Dad in small town Ohio. Great family and great future for R.B.

NASCAR has been dying for 10 or so years.........it needs fixin, lets make some more rules.
The restarts are killer. Every restart seems to leads to a big crash. They did stages yesterday and it led to restarts that ended in disaster for many teams. The best part of the race was the last 30-40 laps. No wrecks, great racing.

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
Ned was such a great commentator, better in my opinion than any of his successors - knowledgeable, quick, modulated, and fair. I like Waltrip and certain others, but Ned was a cut above.

He was very good, but fair???? You obviously did not hear his call of his Sons 1st Daytona win. I'm not saying I could have been fair......but he sure as hell wasn't.

Livin rent free in that brain damaged head of yours. Love it.

Peace, Out.
Its 2 caution flags that pay points to the top 10. Encourages racing hard the entire race. Thats all.

He was very good, but fair???? You obviously did not hear his call of his Sons 1st Daytona win. I'm not saying I could have been fair......but he sure as hell wasn't.
His fatherly pride in the aftermath was not allowed to upset the balance of his comments during the race. He would have had to recuse himself. They weren't paying him not to appear and talk.

No thanks. Cars in the Grandstands is bad for business

Restricter plates?? You mean they STILL use carburetors in NASCAR??? In 2017??? They're not aware of those things called fuel injectors???? I thought they were blending into modern times this year!! =;-p

Sarcasm there ^^, Sarcasm!!! (~_0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT