ADVERTISEMENT

Our crowd is sad

Status
Not open for further replies.

75CarolinaFan

Jan 7, 2009
We do zero to influence officiating. Congrats to all the Clemson fans posing as Gamecocks on fgf, local radio, etc that tell our fans we shouldn't complain about bad calls. It has clearly had an impact. Auburn created an unbelievable home court advantage against us by booing every call and it paid off with all the things they got away with including their coach and player showing up the refs with no call. We've got a packed house full of people sitting on their hands. Why even attend? Absolutely pathetic.

Originally posted by Cybercock:
Are you there? Looks and sounds pretty rowdy to me at least on tv.
Agree. What game is he watching?

Sold out. Frank Martin has continued to say that the students are phenomenal. Winning brings the rest. Hit a snag and have not played well the last couple of home games. Playing the best team in the nation. Definitely improving.

KY has a huge basketball following. Any estimates on how many KY fans are there today?

I tip my hat to all of the USC fans that went out today to support the team. I would be there too if I could. They are special people in my book.

Finally. 4 minutes into 2nd half and the 1st time the whole crowd booed a bad call or no call on the Carrera put back. We immediately get 3 straight calls. Need more of that.

There were 3 or 4 times the crowd had a loud "boo" and had the bull***t chant going. The crowd is the LEAST of our worries. We are unable to score. Can't shoot from the outside and if we penetrate we are 6 inches shorter than their bigs and struggle getting a shot off. Kentucky had a ton of fans there.

Originally posted by 75CarolinaFan:
We do zero to influence officiating. Congrats to all the Clemson fans posing as Gamecocks on fgf, local radio, etc that tell our fans we shouldn't complain about bad calls. It has clearly had an impact. Auburn created an unbelievable home court advantage against us by booing every call and it paid off with all the things they got away with including their coach and player showing up the refs with no call. We've got a packed house full of people sitting on their hands. Why even attend? Absolutely pathetic.
And you are sitting at home on a computer bitching about our crowd ? No You are sad .
tongue.r191677.gif

While I don't agree that our crowd is sad, if you really are dissatisfied with the crowd response, why not go to the game and get something started. Saying that the home crowd does not influence the game or even the refs is not true either. Winning an away game is far - far harder than winning at home. Refs are human and I do think they are influenced by a home crowd after watching them for over 60 years.

Some posts here are pathetic too.

Thanks for showing up, non-students

Students did their part today. Non-students? Not so much. Don't call out the student section again until Kentucky fans stop drowning out our fans. Thanks
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Palmetto1984:
There were 3 or 4 times the crowd had a loud "boo" and had the bull***t chant going. The crowd is the LEAST of our worries. We are unable to score. Can't shoot from the outside and if we penetrate we are 6 inches shorter than their bigs and struggle getting a shot off. Kentucky had a ton of fans there.
The crowd was in to it. I was especially impressed with the "Bulls41+" chants (laying on the sarcasm pretty heavy) . Nice touch on national TV.

But our crowd (or any for that matter) doesn't have near the affect on the zebras as the great acting job the mildcats players put on at times. Still, neither matters if your team can't shoot.

Our game plan stunk from the beginning. Eat up the play clock to shorten the game in the 1 st half then drive the lane against the big centers and fowards only to 1) draw a foul, 2) have the ball batted back in your face or 3) turn the ball over by either loosing the handle or making a bad pass and come away with no points. Then watch UK eat the play clock in the 2nd half with a 12+ point lead then finish with points...and a couple of times with a 3. But good teams with perimeter shooters can do that.

But to be honest I think it was probably the best gameplan Martin had. What else would he do?

Originally posted by pepsicock:
And you are sitting at home on a computer bitching about our crowd ? No You are sad .
tongue.r191677.gif
So are you saying all 50 thousand plus of your mentally challenged posts have come from a home computer? Wow, you are exponentially more pathetic than I thought.

Re: Thanks for showing up, non-students

Thank you. After all this talk about "don't sell to Kentucky fans," the place was still split 50-50, and the students were the only share of our fans making any noise. If you don't walk the walk, don't talk the talk.

tongue.r191677.gif
So are you saying all 50 thousand plus of your mentally challenged posts have come from a home computer? Wow, you are exponentially more pathetic than I thought.
And you think because our crowd yelling at the officials will change their minds ? Now thats funny right there .lol

tongue.r191677.gif
And you think because our crowd yelling at the officials will change their minds ? Now thats funny right there .lol
I don't expect you to understand the very simple concept of a home court advantage. You probably clap for good effort.

100% agree. It's sad. It was like the majority of our fans just attended today just in case there was an upset with no intention of actually trying to help.

When the game was close, it sounded like a 75-25 USC crowd. When we went brain dead with the 24-23 lead four minutes before halftime, it took the USC fans out of the game. UK is undefeated for a reason. They are long, athletic, deep, and have outside shooters that were missing a few years back.

The crowd was fine. The team played hard. Other than that, we were outclassed by a superior team.

If you want fans in the seats, put a good product on the floor. We are improving in MBB. The women are either leading the country in attendance this season, or are second. There is your PROOF that winning puts fans in the seats...

Get the refs pissed off at us. That's a great idea. That'll give us an advantage, NOT! I thought the refs called a fair game. If you want the to give you favorable treatment like at Auburn, than you have to bribe them.

100% agree. It's sad. It was like the majority of our fans just attended today just in case there was an upset with no intention of actually trying to help.
When was the last time you been at the CLA for a mens basketball game ? Blame the fans that sold their tickets to Kentucky fans . Don't blame the fans that showed up.

Can we stop blaming fans? Seriously, it's getting old. We haven't won an NCAA Tourney game since the 1970's, and our SEC mark since latter part of the Fogler era is absolutely horrid (and that's putting it nicely). Our problems are not fan-related.

Just looked it up, and since the '98-99 season, we're 88-178 in SEC play (counting this year's 1-5 start). Let that sink in for a moment before throwing our fans under the bus.

I was there and I thought the crowd was great, students and fans alike. Sure Kentucky had a large crowd on hand because there are available seats and they travel. Even Governor Haley and her family were there and I saw her cheering on with the Carolina fight songs at the beginning of the game.

"81", Carolina's problems in ANY sport are not "fan-related". We have some of the most long-suffering, supportive fans anywhere! Winning is the name of the game at ALL schools and ours (except in a few situations) has not been a traditional winner! Give the fans a break and put the criticism where it fits at the time! Right now as far as basketball our men's basketball is trying to feed off the ladies - hopefully, soon they'll pull their own. Just the way it is - NOT the fault of the fans!!

I've been a hell raiser at basketball games from way back and I still am. Considering that we were behind almost the entire game, our fans weren't too bad today. Yes, about 30% of the crowd was made up of Kentucky fans, but when you're number one you travel well. When USC WBB played at Duke earlier this season, our fans were probably 40% of the crowd.

Our fans did get into it but it's hard to hear when the UK fans are cheering load and clapping too, example: one guy behind me said why is our fans cheering , we fouled the guy, his buddy responded "that is the kentucky fans "

Originally posted by carolina81:
Can we stop blaming fans? Seriously, it's getting old.
getting old? hell, it's practically been a tradition on this forum for 17 years, it got old a decade ago.

We were at the game! What is sad is that USC Athletics tried to sell tickets to only USC fans but not enough people were willing to purchase tickets. So they opened it up to the general public and the UK fans swooped in buying what was left. The crowd was almost even in number of USC fans vs UK fans. That is unacceptable!

You don't get the right to complain about the crowd unless you get off your A$$ and go cheer for the team in person.

I don't think all those tickets were bought from the ticket office, Sec 104-105 are where employees, professors and trustees sit. Those sections were as blue as any part of the CLA. I believe there was more blue in the lower bowl(which was practically sold out by season ticket holders) that in the uppers. Sad to see all that blue, plus every Ky fan had on blue, we wear garnet, black, gray, white or any other non-descript shirt we have. UNC, KY and all schools with orange have fans wearing the same color. Ever watch a Boise State football game? Another grip I have is we have the same number of variations in car flags. Let's get together.

Sounds like Kentucky football fans.
Originally posted by cocky lady:
"81", Carolina's problems in ANY sport are not "fan-related". We have some of the most long-suffering, supportive fans anywhere! Winning is the name of the game at ALL schools and ours (except in a few situations) has not been a traditional winner! Give the fans a break and put the criticism where it fits at the time! Right now as far as basketball our men's basketball is trying to feed off the ladies - hopefully, soon they'll pull their own. Just the way it is - NOT the fault of the fans!!

Was there today. Thought we played hard...hung in there early...but eventually Kentucky was too much for us.
Thought the crowd was pretty vocal when it was close...tried to help until it became obvious what the outcome was going to be.

Yes...there were a good many Kentucky fans...but IMO they did not outnumber us. They were just more vocal as the game went on. They weren't that way early when we hit a 3 to take a 24-23 lead. Unfortunately, that was the last bucket for quite awhile.
IMO...need a big man who plays like a man...is not scared to take it to the hole. Willing to at least try to dunk it on another big man. If you get it blocked you get it blocked, but you're gonna get fouled some times if you're aggressive. Right now, our big guys are playing hard...but it's not in their DNA or skill set to take over inside.

Add to that we don't have a consistent pure shooter from the outside and you get what happened today. But they played hard and with effort the whole game today. Just got beat by a team that is a beast.

This post was edited on 1/24 9:45 PM by Garnet Man

Have you been to a game where there was a lot of Gamecocks? Zero emotion except worrying about Clemson fans. South Carolina fans are all about Clemson fans. Whatever they do. Pathetic.It's ;like they have a 10ft pole stuck up their ass.

It was obvious we did not have the fire power to win that game. It was only a matter of time before Kentucky pulled away. It was nice to keep it close for most of the first half. The crowd was into it. To sit here and complain about fans is just stupid. Scoring 43 points in a game is what we need to fix. Once we get some scorers in here that are aggressive and not tentative, it will be different because we will have a chance to win games like this.

I was at the game. We out numbered the KY fans by a huge amount. If there were 18,000 there we had 15,000

i didnt think the crowd was even. i thought we had a 70/30 split in our favor.

This comment is a little sad too. Not sure what game you were watching,

but I was there and felt that our crowd did a fantastic job as long as we could to keep encouraging the team.

GOCOCKS! BEATTAM! BEATLSU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT