ADVERTISEMENT

Our last 6 loses came by total of 7 runs

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
We are really not far off from being 25-4 and that would be a great record and we would be 9-0 in conference. I know its easy to say that but just get a couple of those runs we leave on base and we are holding a great record. Let's fully support this baseball team and help them get on track and see where we can go.

Originally posted by gamecock_07:
sounds like dabo
Sounds like Tommy, Dabo, and Jack. All the tater coaches we've slammed on this board over the years for saying stupid crap like this. The fact is we are NOT 25-4 and Holbrook has destroyed our baseball program in just a few years.

Originally posted by TrailerParkBoy:

sounds like dabo
Sounds like Tommy, Dabo, and Jack. All the tater coaches we've slammed on this board over the years for saying stupid crap like this. The fact is we are NOT 25-4 and Holbrook has destroyed our baseball program in just a few years.
I know you get blasted for making critical comments about the baseball teams' losses over the past 3 seasons, but the truth is: if we don't start winning a LOT of games between now and season's end, we are going to be in a world of hurt re: eligibility for post season play that, imo, will not qualify as 'that's baseball' - no, that would be a disaster for this team.
This post was edited on 3/30 10:48 AM by 67gamecock

The fact is you have to figure out how to win the close games (clutch hitting, relief pitching) if you expect to advance in the NCAA tournament. Right now we're not doing a good job of pulling them out. Hopefully we can get that corrected.

This post was edited on 3/30 10:37 AM by sclawman77

I said this elsewhere, but I think this may be what is irritating all of us so much. In the past, we won the close games, not only with timely hitting but also with a good bit of lucky breaks going our way. We're not getting either this season.

Everyone else has to step up. KMart and Caldwell can't do it all on their own. And the baseball gods need to start smiling down on us again.

Trailer Park, how much longer are you and your handful of BFF Nellies on this board going to hang on to this debunked myth that CH has somehow destroyed our baseball program, in the face of mounting evidence to the contrary? Ray Tanner would never have been head coach long enough to win his first CWS trophy has he been held to the same standards that some of you want to hold Holbrook., and I'm pretty sure Tanner will not fire a coach who has a higher winning percentage than he himself had at this point of his tenure as head coach.

Ad don't try to comeback with equally lame "but Holbrook inherited a Bentley program." No, with all the key players gone from that program, the "Bentley" he inherited was more like a Ford Bronco by 2013. Good, solid vehicle but by no means as high performance.

Ray Tanner should and will give Holbrook as much patience as he himself received in evaluating his performance moving forward, not because he's a nice guy, but because that's in the best interest of Carolina's athletic department. That's his responsibility as AD, rather than giving into some knee jerk reactions promoted by any bunch of posters on FGF.

Originally posted by searooster:
Trailer Park, how much longer are you and your handful of BFF Nellies on this board going to hang on to this debunked myth that CH has somehow destroyed our baseball program, in the face of mounting evidence to the contrary? Ray Tanner would never have been head coach long enough to win his first CWS trophy has he been held to the same standards that some of you want to hold Holbrook., and I'm pretty sure Tanner will not fire a coach who has a higher winning percentage than he himself had at this point of his tenure as head coach.

Ad don't try to comeback with equally lame "but Holbrook inherited a Bentley program." No, with all the key players gone from that program, the "Bentley" he inherited was more like a Ford Bronco by 2013. Good, solid vehicle but by no means as high performance.

Ray Tanner should and will give Holbrook as much patience as he himself received in evaluating his performance moving forward, not because he's a nice guy, but because that's in the best interest of Carolina's athletic department. That's his responsibility as AD, rather than giving into some knee jerk reactions promoted by any bunch of posters on FGF.
Well, searooster, at least you managed to get through all that ^^^^ without calling the 'BFF Nellies' idiots, numbskulls, dumbass Rednecks, or the catch-all - 'TATER'.

Btw, what's a BFF?

The original reason for this poat was to simply state that maybe we are not as bad as we want to think. It is baseball and things can change any day. I am trying to help us see that we can turn this around and it is not like we are losing these games by 8-10 each time. That would be a problem.
However, how dare anyone say anything remotely positive or encouraging about the gamecocks on a Gamecock message board. I will make sure next time I say that the world is ending and we need to go ahead and get rid of the whole athletic department. Then we will have nothing to complain about.

You gotta be kidding, right? That team had an excellent pitching staff with Adam Westmoreland, Jordan Montgomery, Tyler Webb, Colby Holmes, Nolan Belcher. That team also had Dantzler, Greiner, Pankake and Tanner English. Those guys alone account for more than a dozen "All-Something" accolades which is hardly what you are trying to portray as a 'serviceable' team.

Not sure how you just blow off that Tanner inherited a team that was perennially a sub .500 SEC team and went to a regional every blue moon and Holbrook got the keys to a team fresh off 3 straight CWS championship appearances.

Does he deserve some time, absolutely, but when you progress goes like this loss in supers -> loss in regionals -> this year poor showing thus far, I think its quite fair for the fans to be calling for a short and tight leash.

What sort of promise has Holbrook shown this year that makes next year look any better?

Originally posted by 67gamecock:
Well, searooster, at least you managed to get through all that ^^^^ without calling the 'BFF Nellies' idiots, numbskulls, dumbass Rednecks, or the catch-all - 'TATER'.

Btw, what's a BFF?
im just guessing here, but it appears to be a very unsavory acronym for a homosexual male. think about what BFE means and use two of those words.

Btw, what's a BFF?
im just guessing here, but it appears to be a very unsavory acronym for a homosexual male. think about what BFE means and use two of those words.
BFF = Best Friend Forever, as used by teenage girls on social media, No need to inject sexuality into every conversation you join.

You gotta be kidding, right? That team had an excellent pitching staff with Adam Westmoreland, Jordan Montgomery, Tyler Webb, Colby Holmes, Nolan Belcher. That team also had Dantzler, Greiner, Pankake and Tanner English. Those guys alone account for more than a dozen "All-Something" accolades which is hardly what you are trying to portray as a 'serviceable' team.

Not sure how you just blow off that Tanner inherited a team that was perennially a sub .500 SEC team and went to a regional every blue moon and Holbrook got the keys to a team fresh off 3 straight CWS championship appearances.

Does he deserve some time, absolutely, but when you progress goes like this loss in supers -> loss in regionals -> this year poor showing thus far, I think its quite fair for the fans to be calling for a short and tight leash.

What sort of promise has Holbrook shown this year that makes next year look any better?
I'm pretty sure none of those players (maybe Belcher is exception) started on either of the CWS championship teams. So the Bentley was no longer in service. Very good players, yes.

This post was edited on 3/30 1:47 PM by searooster

^
If we're bringing in less talented guys, that falls on Holbrook. He's been mentioned as one of the best recruiters in all college sports-not just baseball. I would think also with 3 straight national title series, he could bring in the best of the best.

The program is far from destroyed....it is on a downward spiral though. Tanner is not going to do anything mid-season nor should he. I think the program will get a fair grade at the end of the season. We tend to forget that Tanner made this program great and I doubt he is going to sit back and watch it crumble. I hope he isn't that nice and loyal. It doesn't look good at this point but we have to play out the season regardless. I will hold reservation on Holbrook until then....but at this point it does not look like the program it once was.

I'm pretty sure none of those players (maybe Belcher is exception) started on either of the CWS championship teams. So the Bentley was no longer in service. Very good players, yes.

This post was edited on 3/30 1:47 PM by searooster
so basically all of those guys i listed were good enough to start on the runner up cws team and earn all american and all sec accolades and are by your standards 'very good players' yet you're still toeing your 'ford bronco' line? i see your point.

Btw, what's a BFF?
BFF = Best Friend Forever, as used by teenage girls on social media, No need to inject sexuality into every conversation you join.
apologies for not being not up to date with my sixteen year old girl facebook lingo.... my version of BFF was the best I could come up with for your negative connotation name calling post

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT