ADVERTISEMENT

Our staff (under SOS) was reportedly dysfunctional, disorganized, lazy, and condescending...

Rooster Louie

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Gold Member
Water under the bridge now (I HOPE. Unless some are retained.)
(Maybe a different HC could light a fire, create a different mindset, and require organization and accountability.)

This info was learned from a family member of a current athletic department employee who works alongside the coaching staff.

First things first:
This is not earth shattering news. Many of us knew we had problems on staff and team.
No names of sources either.
No links with any proof,
No "whatever else" some smart butt might want or demand.

Bottom Line:
If you don't believe this account, or don't want to hear what was told, then go to the next thread.
I truly don't care if anyone believes it or not.
Based on results, feedback, etc, I do personally believe it.

BRIEF overview:
Some of our assistants did not and still do not get along with one another.
Too many are viewed as lazy, and time wasters.
This staff did not work well together.
A ton of time and effort wasted. Dysfunctional.

A few coaches were prideful and stubborn. Wouldn't play a player if they didn't recruit or evaluate him (regardless of talent or production) because that player wasn't "their guy". This explains a ton of questions we posed as fans.

One particular position coach was supposedly very condescending in how his meetings were held. Only starters allowed to speak in position meetings. Backups forced to sit behind starters in meetings and keep mouth shut. etc.
(No "team" approach whatsoever with this guy. Again, no names. He'll most likely be gone.)

"Team concept" and "Family concept" was not promoted or present at in this staff and thus, this team.

There's were many more "tidbits" and examples. But all are very similar to the above. So no sense in typing more of the same.

Things became a little clearer after this conversation. (Or should I say some "hunches" were verified.)

Hearing all of this from someone more on the inside is truly disgusting.

We had this thing rolling pretty good when Beamer was here, and EJ and Brad Lawing were on defense.
Promoting Ward and the hires that followed were total busts. I'm not sold on Hoke and never was. But, Hoke probably was doomed from the start, having to work with what he was given.

Our offensive staff eventually lacked cohesiveness with one another and lacked leadership.

This all turned into a very dysfunctional staff. (That was the way it was described).

Ward's attitude, "...don't know. You'll have to Ask Shawn Elliott" and his demeanor in that interview right after Elliott was promoted to Interim was most likely everything we all thought it was.

Love SOS and always will. Will always respect SOS's contribution to college football. But, he blew his leadership toward the end.
And, in light of all of this, part of me wishes he wasn't still on campus in any advisory or leadership role.
And, I DANG SURE hope Jr. isn't retained.

Either way, time to move on.

Go Gamecocks.

-----

EDITED: I forgot to mention Shawn Elliott.

Shawn Elliott did everything within his power and ability to bring this all together after SOS stepped down. (in leading the staff and players.)

And, he did a wonderful job. But it was too little, too late.
Shawn actually made a difference, and it showed, although it didn't show in the win / loss column.

Even his position coaches and coordinators (who he supposedly doesn't get along great with) started trying to turn things around.
Shawn never truly had a fair chance for an audition. This sucks for him.

Give a ton of credit to Skai Moore and Perry Orth. Those young men are LEADERS. Better than our coaches on staff were.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News