ADVERTISEMENT

Out of all the OC in the world we going to hire one that learned from Roper the last couple years

Can’t wait to hear Muschamp’s presser and see how it goes in the 2018 season. No doubt if it’s Mclendon and the offense struggles at all, the op and haters on this board will be all over it whining and pouting

I don't see BMAC as someone who is going to just continue with what he "learned" from Roper. (Learned in quotes because I'm hoping BMAC was smart enough to not pick up on too much of the failed philosophies). I think he's an intelligent man, who is: 1> well aware that Ropers system/execution of such didn't work and 2> his own man, with his own style, ideas, plans, and offensive philosophy. If it is McClendon, I'm going to be hopeful and expect an improved, more innovative offense than we've seen the last two years. Fingers crossed no matter who is announced.

Some forget that he was on the Offensive staff at UGA for several years and recruited some of their top players including Chubb - he was also part of that staff that compiled game plans on a weekly basis and UGA did ok - BM called the pays in UGA bowl game when they let Reich go and he put up around 45 points calling those plays - we will be fine and I’m good with BMac if thats who he hires - gotta remember that coaches come to schools with the aspiration to get promoted to coordinators positions and eventually HC’s - going outside would tell these coaches regardless of how good of a job you did, you just aint good enough - got to promote from within if you have a qualified candidate and I think BMac fits that desciption

He recruited and coached our best unit on offense. He recruited and coached Chubb and Michel. He's has succeeded twice when given opportunities in bowl games. I look forward to seeing what he can do as an offensive coordinator, and I'm definitely glad he won't be on another SEC staff.

He learned under roper...and bobo....add a double facepalm. Seems like the easy thing. I like bmac but he will skipping a few rungs on the ladder. I am a sales rep. Maybe i can skip store manager and be regional Vp in 2018.

Reactions: CQCKnFIRE
Is learning from Roper a bad thing?
It is Cutcliffes offense after all, and nobody doubts his abilities

It’s an RPO offense with tempo and lots of screens and quick passes. Requires a balanced run game. All things we need to compliment our defense

The thing missing was gameplan and execution, and I am thinking that is where BMac will flourish. Sure we struggled a bit at first during the bowl game, but when we did find a rhythm we had Michigan on their heels

I don't see BMAC as someone who is going to just continue with what he "learned" from Roper. (Learned in quotes because I'm hoping BMAC was smart enough to not pick up on too much of the failed philosophies). I think he's an intelligent man, who is: 1> well aware that Ropers system/execution of such didn't work and 2> his own man, with his own style, ideas, plans, and offensive philosophy. If it is McClendon, I'm going to be hopeful and expect an improved, more innovative offense than we've seen the last two years. Fingers crossed no matter who is announced.
Hope more than anything he succeeds, but it is a very risky hire. He has coached under 2 average, at best, OCs, Mike Bobo (pro-style) and Roper and played in a pro-style offense. I have no idea what his offensive philosophy is, but I wouldn't think it ventures far from what he has learned and experienced.

Some forget that he was on the Offensive staff at UGA for several years and recruited some of their top players including Chubb - he was also part of that staff that compiled game plans on a weekly basis and UGA did ok - BM called the pays in UGA bowl game when they let Reich go and he put up around 45 points calling those plays - we will be fine and I’m good with BMac if thats who he hires - gotta remember that coaches come to schools with the aspiration to get promoted to coordinators positions and eventually HC’s - going outside would tell these coaches regardless of how good of a job you did, you just aint good enough - got to promote from within if you have a qualified candidate and I think BMac fits that desciption

The hell?!

You know he was part of that staff that we were beating on a fairly regular basis.

Not sure where you got your info but BMac didn't call a single play during UGAs bowl game. He was the interim HC. Shottenheimet was the OC.

No one doubts his ability to recruit and coach RBs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Hope more than anything he succeeds, but it is a very risky hire. He has coached under 2 average, at best, OCs, Mike Bobo (pro-style) and Roper and played in a pro-style offense. I have no idea what his offensive philosophy is, but I wouldn't think it ventures far from what he has learned and experienced.
Can't argue with any of that. I'm just hoping those avg OC's were holding him back!:D

Reactions: rogue cock
Can’t wait to hear Muschamp’s presser and see how it goes in the 2018 season. No doubt if it’s Mclendon and the offense struggles at all, the op and haters on this board will be all over it whining and pouting
I was told I'd abandon the board when Roper tore it up, proving me wrong.

BM might turn out great but he's unproven. Also, if he was the answer, why did Roper continue calling plays throughout the season when everyone knew he stunk?

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
face palm. Can’t wait to hear list of folks we interviewed

20170815optimismversuspessimism.jpg

WADR of course! =;-p

Reactions: jonesz21 and wood90
Maybe he learned what not to do ????
Seriously. My first job as a Web Developer, more importantly than anything else, taught me what not to do. The code base and processes were a nightmare. I may have taken your comment as a joke were it not a spot on example from my employment history.

Reactions: DarkCock
By all accounts Roper was a control freak and did not even do what he told Muschamp he would do, the latter of which is probably the main reason he is gone.
Heard similar. And do forgive for what appears to be the initiation of a gossip line within a thread of discussion!!

Reactions: Horseshoe 04

On the bright side, perhaps not having a philosophy isn't the worst thing. Some experienced OCs can be hard-headed about running their system instead of running an offense that best utilizes the talent on hand.

Some other points to consider:
  • At least McClendon has proven he can make halftime adjustments. Small sample size, but still.
  • We won't lose any headway on the recruits and the relationships he has built with HS programs. If anything this gives him more sway, hopefully.
  • This probably gives us the opportunity and extra budget to hire a kick-ass QB coach, and we need that.
  • You wanted young and energetic? I think he hits both of those targets.
On the downside for McClendon as OC? I'm not a fan of Irish coaches. :D

Reactions: 92Pony
Heard similar. And do forgive for what appears to be the initiation of a gossip line within a thread of discussion!!
Hey, I was somewhat of a Roper apologist until around the UT game. I admit I was wrong about him. It sounds to me like most of the staff already understood what I did not.

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
On the bright side, perhaps not having a philosophy isn't the worst thing. Some experienced OCs can be hard-headed about running their system instead of running an offense that best utilizes the talent on hand.
That's why in the other thread asking what PPG people want to see, my response was simply that I want to see proper adjustments. To elaborate, that could be in game, for the current personnel or philosophically based on the general ebbs and flows of the sport.

Reactions: DarkCock
We all applaud B-mac from the recruiting standpoint & those players are already here and producing .

Did Roper deliver any gems here or to what level did he contribute?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT