ADVERTISEMENT

Overrated and Underrated players on offense and defense

Dark Prince

Gold Member
May 30, 2005
My opinion guys, but here we go:

Overrated (Offense): Rico Dowdle - Not a natural runner, poor vision, average speed, good pass catcher, good blocker
Zach Bailey - average pass blocker, expectations
Jake Bentley - decision-making, very inconsistent, good pocket prescence.

Underrated (Offense): Ty'son Williams - Fast, vision, power, and falls forward while being
tackled
K.C. Crosby- A little undersized, but does his job. Good hands too.

Overrated (Defense): Steven Montac - takes bad tackling angles, undersized, has heart
Sherrod Greene - No heart, can't cover, misses tackles, not very
instinctive or aggressive. Struggling to see why SC wanted him so
badly.
Rashad Fenton - Gets nervous and plays the man, not the ball.
Brad Johnson - He's a tweener not big or fast enough to play
DE...should be playing LB instead. Not disciplined.

Underrated (Defense): Aaron Sterling - Disciplined and has some wiggle.
Shamiek Blackshear - May be the best pure DE on the roster and
should be starting.

Last edited:
I'll stick with underrated: Jamyest Williams. The man's earned 1st team status.

Don't like singling out players like this. They're still kids, and they're working hard. It's one thing if a player does something dumb like committing a flagrant or PI penalty. It's another to judge their ability or heart. Our coaches are highly paid to recruit them, teach them, motivate them and put them in position to win. Point your barbs where it belongs.

I'll stick with underrated: Jamyest Williams. The man's earned 1st team status.
I disagree here, thought he would be faster than he is. Was getting outrun by RB on Horn's td saving tackle, and he had the angle. Too small to cover big receivers. Interception was a fluke last game. Have seen him miss several tackles, made me cringe thinking of #21 at LB a few years ago that couldn't tackle anyone.

Reactions: RoosterBooster1
Our entire D just has average speed. not being very fast contributes to them being out of position on many plays.

Reactions: TRUEGARNET
I disagree here, thought he would be faster than he is. Was getting outrun by RB on Horn's td saving tackle, and he had the angle. Too small to cover big receivers. Interception was a fluke last game. Have seen him miss several tackles, made me cringe thinking of #21 at LB a few years ago that couldn't tackle anyone.

That interception wasn’t a fluke . They guy made the catch and JM ripped the ball away from him . It was a fluke that the ball landed on top of him but that would have been monster play for Mizzou . He also had a similiar pass break up on 3rd and goal in the 3rd quarter with the Mizzou WR much bigger than him . Guy had the reception and JM ripped it out before he hit the ground . Both of those plays were Game changing . I thought in an overall abysmal defensive performance he along with BAW played outstanding all game .

Reactions: CliffordII
My opinion guys, but here we go:

Overrated (Offense): Rico Dowdle - Not a natural runner, poor vision, average speed, good pass catcher, good blocker
Zach Bailey - average pass blocker, expectations
Jake Bentley - decision-making, very inconsistent, good pocket prescence.

Underrated (Offense): Ty'son Williams - Fast, vision, power, and falls forward while being
tackled
K.C. Crosby- A little undersized, but does his job. Good hands too.

Overrated (Defense): Steven Montac - takes bad tackling angles, undersized, has heart
Sherrod Greene - No heart, can't cover, misses tackles, not very
instinctive or aggressive. Struggling to see why SC wanted him so
badly.
Rashad Fenton - Gets nervous and plays the man, not the ball.
Brad Johnson - He's a tweener not big or fast enough to play
DE...should be playing LB instead. Not disciplined.

Underrated (Defense): Aaron Sterling - Disciplined and has some wiggle.
Shamiek Blackshear - May be the best pure DE on the roster and
should be starting.
Agree with your assessment.

Why should we not criticize if a player is performing poorly. These are not kids anymore. They are 18 or older. In the real world you get reprimanded or fired for doing a poor job.
All a college football in reality is a performer...(paid scholarships) you have to learn to take personal criticism. We get it throughout life...expecially if you are a performer. You can evaluate the critisim and if valid...do something about it.

As long as there are no personal attacks on that person but critisim of their performance it should ok

Why should we not criticize if a player is performing poorly. These are not kids anymore. They are 18 or older. In the real world you get reprimanded or fired for doing a poor job.
All a college football in reality is a performer...(paid scholarships) you have to learn to take personal criticism. We get it throughout life...expecially if you are a performer. You can evaluate the critisim and if valid...do something about it.

As long as there are no personal attacks on that person but critisim of their performance it should ok
They're not performer's they are student athletes that participate in Football. And questioning their heart is a personal attack. And yeah I consider them kids. The critical parts of the brain involved in decision-making aren't fully developed until early Twentys.

Reactions: rogue cock
We pay for that scholarship. Definition of performer. . a person who entertains an audience. .. Would you watch a game our pay to go to a game if the team never won a game. If they win are you not entertained. Do you not pay money to go to that game.

Are you are the type of person that wants to give all a trophy for participating?

So when can you criticize..what age ... Has there been studies on this ..

They're not performer's they are student athletes that participate in Football. And questioning their heart is a personal attack. And yeah I consider them kids. The critical parts of the brain involved in decision-making aren't fully developed until early Twentys.[/Q
They are not pros and don't get paid though they bring in $$$$$ for their programs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT