ADVERTISEMENT

Pearson Fowler

coolcock2001

Oct 29, 2003
You can say "Carolina" or "the Gamecocks" sometimes instead of always "South Carolina." South Carolina sounds so stiff when you say it over and over.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
I wish we could get to the place where we always use "Gamecocks" to refer to the team. That's how it is with Florida. When you go down there, no one ever says "Florida". It's all "Gators" all the time.

Reactions: Number1pjones
I wish we could get to the place where we always use "Gamecocks" to refer to the team. That's how it is with Florida. When you go down there, no one ever says "Florida". It's all "Gators" all the time.
Depends on where you live i guess. I know none of my Gamecock friends say South Carolina, people outside the area I'm sure say South Carolina.

I thought it was, "Later Gator," followed by "After awhile crocodile"? ;)
Derivation, I suppose. I was staying at a place down on the Gulf coast where two Gator couples were also staying. They were leaving the pool to go to their respective rooms when I heard one of the couples say to the other couple, "See ya Gator".

Derivation, I suppose. I was staying at a place down on the Gulf coast where two Gator couples were also staying. They were leaving the pool to go to their respective rooms when I heard one of the couples say to the other couple, "See ya Gator".

Maybe it was us that introduced the rhyme scheme.

Another thing I hate is the chronic use of "it" to refer to a team instead of "they". I know it's AP style but it sounds goofy; can we just dispense with it?

Not "If South Carolina wants to win it needs to..." but "If the Gamecocks want to win they need to..." Nobody calls a team it.

Who is the person, Pearson? or is it who is this Pearson person?

Young early 20s radio host on 107.5 that has no business on air.
How does he get 75% of the talk time over Brent? If he's a former athlete or something I get it but if he's just another radio guy seems weird the position he is given

How does he get 75% of the talk time over Brent? If he's a former athlete or something I get it but if he's just another radio guy seems weird the position he is given

That show went downhill fast after George and Will left. With Brent being the station manager, he's probably happy to let anyone else handle it.

Another thing I hate is the chronic use of "it" to refer to a team instead of "they". I know it's AP style but it sounds goofy; can we just dispense with it?

Not "If South Carolina wants to win it needs to..." but "If the Gamecocks want to win they need to..." Nobody calls a team it.
I agree. Bad terminology.

Pearson isn't a former athlete. If you have ever seen him I promise that is kind of obvious. Just a guy fresh out of college

Reactions: coolcock2001
Pearson isn't a former athlete. If you have ever seen him I promise that is kind of obvious. Just a guy fresh out of college
I kinda picked up on that from listening to him (uses fancy words, went to Furman haha) but I didn't want to assume. Good for him; I'm not trying to be a "hater." Just wondering from the perspective of a guy that listens to a bunch of sports radio

It's definitely the first time I've heard a sports radio host go "So I was talking this over with my roommates last night..."

It's the American English concept of the collective singular. You recognized it in your first verb: "If South Carolina wants ..." Singular subject, singular verb, singular pronoun (it). If you want to make the pronoun plural, how about the verb? "If South Carolina want to ..." Sounds weird, doesn't it?

Across the pond, the Brits don't recognize the collective singular, so they'll say things like "Chelsea are taking the field."

It's the American English concept of the collective singular. You recognized it in your first verb: "If South Carolina wants ..." Singular subject, singular verb, singular pronoun (it). If you want to make the pronoun plural, how about the verb? "If South Carolina want to ..." Sounds weird, doesn't it?

Across the pond, the Brits don't recognize the collective singular, so they'll say things like "Chelsea are taking the field."
It don't sound right to me!!

Lakewood High School in Sumter and Lake Marion High School in Santee.
River Bluff High

Lake View High School in Dillon County.

One of these schools should hold a holiday hoops tournament called the Gator Invitational and invite three of the others. Make it a round-robin affair.

How about an Eagle Invitational? I know of Beaufort High, Airport, Chapin, Greenwood, and Statesboro, GA. York High is/are (collective singular may not work so well here) the Blue Eagles; does that count? Any others?

Besides UF and Estill & Goose Creek High Schools, do any other academic institutions have "Gator" as their nickname?

Got the Ware County High School Gators down here in Ga. Pretty damn good football program, too.

One of these schools should hold a holiday hoops tournament called the Gator Invitational and invite three of the others. Make it a round-robin affair.

How about an Eagle Invitational? I know of Beaufort High, Airport, Chapin, Greenwood, and Statesboro, GA. York High is/are (collective singular may not work so well here) the Blue Eagles; does that count? Any others?

Not to nitpick, but Statesboro High School's mascot is the Blue Devils.

The six-time NCAA I-AA football champion Georgia Southern Eagles are in Statesboro, tho.

I know this because Statesboro's about a 45 minute drive from the house.

Got the Ware County High School Gators down here in Ga. Pretty damn good football program, too.
That's right. WSAV (NBC Savannah) televised a Ware County-Brunswick (or was it Glynn Academy) football game a couple of years ago. Somewhat amusing when you consider that neither Waycross nor Brunswick are in the Savannah TV market.

Not to nitpick, but Statesboro High School's mascot is the Blue Devils.

The six-time NCAA I-AA football champion Georgia Southern Eagles are in Statesboro, tho.

I know this because Statesboro's about a 45 minute drive from the house.

Please nitpick:(. Yeah, maybe I did confuse Statesboro High and Georgia Southern. Quite possible.

Still, I like the concept of a multischool event where all participating schools have the same nickname. This could also work in baseball, softball, track & field, cross-country, wrestling, and volleyball.

Last edited:
It's definitely the first time I've heard a sports radio host go "So I was talking this over with my roommates last night..."

Use of big words to try and desperately sound smarter than the audience and mentioned of roommates is what Pearson offers.

Use of big words to try and desperately sound smarter than the audience and mentioned of roommates is what Pearson offers.
I find the "roommates" comments kind of funny. But I think he's only 24 or 25, so I suppose that's understandable.

He's probably a smart guy, but I think his sports knowledge is very shallow.

Scott's Branch High School in Summerton is also the Eagles. They've won multiple 1A State Championships in basketball. In fact, former Gamecock TE, Jerell Adams, lead them to a State Title in football and helped in winning a basketball State Title and a basketball State runner-up finish.

I find the "roommates" comments kind of funny. But I think he's only 24 or 25, so I suppose that's understandable.

He's probably a smart guy, but I think his sports knowledge is very shallow.

Yeah he is very limited in his sports knowledge. Will King was much Better in that spot

Reactions: Legendary Cock

When we were on GameDay sometimes the called us cocky.

Update: He says Carolina and "the Gamecocks" some now! I'm warming up to ya Pearson

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT