ADVERTISEMENT

People can Knock Coastal, but they are better than...

king ward

Aug 10, 1999
Lancaster, SC
Oregon State. I watched some of the highlights of their game with Ohio State. Now, I know Ohio State is good, but Oregon State was as mismatched physically as an FCS team would have been in that situation. I've never seen any Power Five team thrown around like that, yes, worse than Louisville was against Alabama. Ohio State threw those boys around like they were rag dolls. Evidently there has been no recruiting going on at all in Corvallis. I have no doubt that Coastal would have played Ohio State better than that bunch did yesterday.

People forget that Coastal is an FBS team, same as South Alabama, same as App State. Coastal wasn't anytning to sneeze at when they were FCS.

Reactions: king ward
Id place them in the same group as a lot of teams in their conf etc or at that same level. Mid Tenn, UAB, Rice, UTEP, Bowling Green....in the Power 5 id say Kansas, Syracuse (Mid Tenn did beat Syracuse last year), Illinois, Virginia etc...

If Coastal isn't better than Oregon State, they ought to be placed on FBS suspension. Oregon State couldn't have been shamed any worse had they been a high school team.
It may be closer than I thought. Oregon State was horrendous last year, but I think they had a tougher schedule than CCU also. TOSU just manhandled them....don't remember a more lopsided game.

Certainly you could. There are no negative or dangerous consequences in saying it.;)

i'm sending the men in white to your home as i type..you should be put in a straight jacket for saying coastal is better than oregon st

That's a pretty cool little conference, they don't mind playing the big boys and they play a fun brand of football, App. State played a solid game yesterday wish I had seen a little more than the highlights!

EAST DIVISION
Georgia Southern
Georgia State
Appalachian State
Coastal Carolina
Troy

WEST DIVISION
Arkansas State
Louisiana
ULM
South Alabama
Texas State

i'm sending the men in white to your home as i type..you should be put in a straight jacket for saying coastal is better than oregon st
Listen, they are probably the weakest team in the weakest Power Five conference. You'd have a hard time finding a psychiatrist to go along. They are abysmal.

It may be closer than I thought. Oregon State was horrendous last year, but I think they had a tougher schedule than CCU also. TOSU just manhandled them....don't remember a more lopsided game.
They might as well have been playing a Division 2 school.

That was five years ago. Their program has come a long way.
That team was 12-3 and made the quarter finals of the play offs. The only regular season loss, other than to us, was at Charleston Southern in very close game. They lost in the playoff to the powerhouse of that division. 15-0 North Dakota State. I doubt that this Coastal team is better than that one. Not yet. They need more time recruiting in this division. The reason we beat them as bad as we did is we were very good. Very good. 11-2 and finished 4th in the polls. If not for a fluke play at Tennessee, we play in the SEC championship game that year.

Last edited:
Oregon State would beat CCU, and probably handily. They gave up a bunch of points to OSU, but they did score a few, so they weren't helpless offensively. And let's be real honest. OSU is a tad better that South Carolina. Wish it wasn't so, but it is a fact. This game was what it was. Basically a pre-season game to work out the game day kinks before you have to play somebody serious. For CCU, just like Furman, Austin Peay, and many others, they were paid well to come take a beating and get on the bus and head back home

Oregon State would beat CCU, and probably handily. They gave up a bunch of points to OSU, but they did score a few, so they weren't helpless offensively. And let's be real honest. OSU is a tad better that South Carolina. Wish it wasn't so, but it is a fact. This game was what it was. Basically a pre-season game to work out the game day kinks before you have to play somebody serious. For CCU, just like Furman, Austin Peay, and many others, they were paid well to come take a beating and get on the bus and head back home
Here is how bad Oregon State is. Last year they won one game. Against a team that was 0-13. Portland State . And they only won by 3.At home

Last edited:
People forget that Coastal is an FBS team, same as South Alabama, same as App State. Coastal wasn't anytning to sneeze at when they were FCS.
Who a
Didn’t they play Arkansas tough last year?
Really? LOL........we both played losers and I doubt either of us learned anything about how successful we'll be in 2018. You do realize that last year, Western Illinois, Arkansas State and Troy beat Coastal Carolina by an average score of 50-14.

Oregon State. I watched some of the highlights of their game with Ohio State. Now, I know Ohio State is good, but Oregon State was as mismatched physically as an FCS team would have been in that situation. I've never seen any Power Five team thrown around like that, yes, worse than Louisville was against Alabama. Ohio State threw those boys around like they were rag dolls. Evidently there has been no recruiting going on at all in Corvallis. I have no doubt that Coastal would have played Ohio State better than that bunch did yesterday.
Coastal lost to an FCS school by 40 plus last year. Honestly, neither SC or UGA's fan bases know much more than what we did last week. You can do what you want against these type schools with poor technique and bad fundamentals because your talent is just so much better. It won't be that way next week for either school. There are some non Power 5s that are as good or better than an Oregon State. I'm not sure Coastal qualifies.

Coastal lost to an FCS school by 40 plus last year. Honestly, neither SC or UGA's fan bases know much more than what we did last week. You can do what you want against these type schools with poor technique and bad fundamentals because your talent is just so much better. It won't be that way next week for either school. There are some non Power 5s that are as good or better than an Oregon State. I'm not sure Coastal qualifies.
They do; that's what makes Oregon State so pathetic. Every penny they are investing in football is being wasted.

The only way Oregon State would beat them is with a pipe.:D

Last 2 years in fcs they went deep in the playoffs. 2yrs ago lost to North Dakota state who won the championship.

Last 2 years in fcs they went deep in the playoffs. 2yrs ago lost to North Dakota state who won the championship.

Doesn't mean a thing...

Going 11-2 three years in a row and posting records of 7-6 and 3-9 doesn't mean a thing...

if you were 7-6, 3-9 and then go 11-2 three years in a row, then you may have an argument...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT