ADVERTISEMENT

Perception

hmkcarolina

Aug 22, 2000
Make no mistake I very much desire USC athletics to get on track and develop the winning culture we deserve. The following may seem trivial, but we must start somewhere and pay attention to detail --
On SEC network, when animated school mascots are shown, who in USC Athletic Admin approved use of a Gamecock on a stationary treadmill pecking at corn kernels? The opposing mascot is shown in a menacing posture while running as if in attack on a treadmill. Surely we could picture a Gamecock in fighting posture in motion on the treadmill. When you are nowhere near where you want to be, perception does indeed matter in determining the speed at which you effect culture change (e.g., from losing to winning).

Reactions: Cocky One
What? This is BS! I have NEVER seen a gamecock that was running on a treadmill start pecking at corn kernels. It’s not even accurate!

Make no mistake I very much desire USC athletics to get on track and develop the winning culture we deserve. The following may seem trivial, but we must start somewhere and pay attention to detail --
On SEC network, when animated school mascots are shown, who in USC Athletic Admin approved use of a Gamecock on a stationary treadmill pecking at corn kernels? The opposing mascot is shown in a menacing posture while running as if in attack on a treadmill. Surely we could picture a Gamecock in fighting posture in motion on the treadmill. When you are nowhere near where you want to be, perception does indeed matter in determining the speed at which you effect culture change (e.g., from losing to winning).
It’s in no way going to help anything on the field, but I agree with you. Whoever the person is that can do something about this indeed should immediately. No BS, somebody needs to get on ESPN’s ass and make them do better than that crap.

This is actually pretty insightful. Those hating on this thread have obviously never heard the phrase perception is reality. UofSC, current depictions of our mascot, everything funnels in to the perception of our shitty program. These fools got to get it together or something. Not surprising though given the progressive nature of Columbia. We have other priorities right now.

This is actually pretty insightful. Those hating on this thread have obviously never heard the phrase perception is reality. UofSC, current depictions of our mascot, everything funnels in to the perception of our shitty program. These fools got to get it together or something. Not surprising though given the progressive nature of Columbia. We have other priorities right now.
Well then we better change our mascot then. No way a Gamecock is beating a Tiger or Gator in a fight. Heck it’s not beating Davy Crockett or a Commodore either…not even the Lionel Richie kind of Commodore.

It amazes me that Ohio State, a nut, somehow finds success.

Reactions: Uncle Money
What? This is BS! I have NEVER seen a gamecock that was running on a treadmill start pecking at corn kernels. It’s not even accurate!
This is not BS. If you were watching this game it was on the screen several times during the broadcast -- why would I make something like this up? The same graphic has been used in several other telecasts of previous games.

Reactions: eds11 and PC31
This is not BS. If you were watching this game it was on the screen several times during the broadcast -- why would I make something like this up? The same graphic has been used in several other telecasts of previous games.
I was being sarcastic. My response wasn’t questioning you, but agreeing with you and saying it was BS and pointing out that I’ve never seen a real Gamecock that was running on a treadmill do this kind of behavior. Of course a real Gamecock would never run on a treadmill…hence the sarcasm.

as far as the point you are making…it’s definitely one of the biggest stretches I’ve ever seen and this is from a fanbase that thinks a different color uniform might change the result of the game.

I’m not sure if this would be as funny as a joke as it is serious. If we complain to the SEC or SEC Network about this…they should immediately kick us out of the conference.

Reactions: CarolinaBro
I was being sarcastic. My response wasn’t questioning you, but agreeing with you and saying it was BS and pointing out that I’ve never seen a real Gamecock that was running on a treadmill do this kind of behavior. Of course a real Gamecock would never run on a treadmill…hence the sarcasm.

as far as the point you are making…it’s definitely one of the biggest stretches I’ve ever seen and this is from a fanbase that thinks a different color uniform might change the result of the game.

I’m not sure if this would be as funny as a joke as it is serious. If we complain to the SEC or SEC Network about this…they should immediately kick us out of the conference.
No offense taken and no complaint to SEC necessary; rather, a request to change the Gamecock image displayed to an image that reflects what most logical people envision when picturing a "Fighting Gamecock".

Reactions: PC31
Our athletic department's attention to this kind of detail has always been terrible. And I agree, it is important. It is the little things that all add up to culture. We do a terrible job of policing licensure around our brand.

Thank you for this posting. My wife and I, and a couple of friends, have discussed this exact subject on numerous occasions. That is no Gamecock on that animated depiction of our mascot. It's a yard chicken casually eating breakfast. The other mascots are much more fierce looking. Perceptions of Carolina are influenced by this animation. We should force a change. How do we do that? Any ideas?

Reactions: Legendary Cock
No offense taken and no complaint to SEC necessary; rather, a request to change the Gamecock image displayed to an image that reflects what most logical people envision when picturing a "Fighting Gamecock".
Thinking through this and what would be a good image and the first thought is, in their defense, you can't blame them for not showing a Gamecock killing another Gamecock by stabbing it with it's spurs, lol. For real though, this is a good point and I would like to see a tough ass rooster on that screen.

I'm trying to remember.. was it Brewster Rooster or some other that got swooped up by the chicken hawk and taken to his nest to be devoured upon which time the rooster wooped his ass and made him take him back and put him where he picked him up from?

This thread is hilarious, but I do think USC2USC's broader point of how bad we are at creating and maintaining our brand is on target. Weirdly enough, I've never seen this graphics package, despite watching most of our games this season, so now I'm curious.
Thinking through this and what would be a good image and the first thought is, in their defense, you can't blame them for not showing a Gamecock killing another Gamecock by stabbing it with it's spurs, lol. For real though, this is a good point and I would like to see a tough ass rooster on that screen.
Agreed, but they could just have a strutting/crowing Gamecock and that'd be fine, I think. Wouldn't be the most intimidating, but let's face it, our mascot is ultimately a chicken (although I would certainly never mess around with a rooster).

ESPN has used that same little CGI graphic for a couple years, at least. I am relieved to find out the real reason we have OL whiffing on blocks every game.

Reactions: vacock#
It’s got nothing to do with OL play from an absolutely beyond-depleted roster, but you can bet Spurrier would have said something about the pathetic animation - and how our fans shouldn’t accept that kind of crap from the media - and then you never would have seen it again…. It’s not even a subliminal message: whoever designed it was neither a representative nor fan of the university, and it was clearly intended to be unflattering. I’ve heard no fewer than 6 people bring it up in unrelated conversations during the last month. It’s just part of a broader pattern of manipulation.

I recall several years ago there was some bank commercial (I think? BOA, maybe SunTrust or maybe even an insurance co?) that was an SEC sponsor that year and they showed clips of all SEC teams in alphabetical order. EXCEPT, when it came time to show us they switched us for a Tennessee clip because it fit the narrative of the commercial - I can't remember the exact details but it basically showcased their highlight, then ours came next and was just a quick afterthought.

Not many caught that but it always irked me. Might seem minor but I see your point OP.

Does an AD have any say in stuff like this? Creating and selling your brand is everything, even more so in the NIL age.

The Gamecocks took their name from Thomas Sumter, called the "Gamecock" for his ferocious fighting style during the Revolutionary War. However, for some reason, instead of choosing a patriot fighter as their mascot, the university decided to choose an actual fighting rooster, as used in now illegal cockfights. Truthfully, there is no reason the university couldn't choose a new mascot, and choose that of a revolutionary patriot. That would, in my opinion, help change the perception of the athletic department, as well as highlight some local history.

Perception is reality! We definitely need to work on the branding of our sports programs. I hate the chicken pecking corn animation.

We spend lots of money on everything else, so why not hire a branding company with university experience to evaluate our sports branding and develop an attractive program. Sports are the face of the University. That's what people see, and that's what they know. Perception is reality!

Perception is reality! We definitely need to work on the branding of our sports programs. I hate the chicken pecking corn animation.

We spend lots of money on everything else, so why not hire a branding company with university experience to evaluate our sports branding and develop an attractive program. Sports are the face of the University. That's what people see, and that's what they know. Perception is reality!
Just don't hire the same branding company that gave us UofSC. 🙄

Reactions: muscleknight
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT