ADVERTISEMENT

Perspective on Men's Hoops

JasonScottinSC

Jul 1, 2010
I see a lot of negativity after USC's recently loss at Missouri. No doubt, it's a bad loss for a team trying to make the NCAA Tournament. Keep this in mind: A top-5 nationally ranked team has lost to an UNRANKED team 20 times this season. 20 TIMES! It's a fact. It's what men's college basketball is. Frustrating, but it's also what makes it fun once the postseason arrives.

Again, loss to Mizzou was not good. Still plenty of winnable games. Get past it and win the next one. USC's men are not a final 4 team by any stretch, but with our early success this year, I think some fans lost some perspective. Stay with these guys and fill up the arena for home games so they can get to the tournament. Then, as evidenced by the stat mentioned above, anything can happen!

Losses to teams you think you should beat aren't fun, and USC isn't the only team to get upset this year... I'm still enjoying the ride. Go Gamecocks!

I've said the same thing
LSU lost to bama at home. Vandy to miss st

We aren't the only team with a couple bad losses

I think we will b just fine

Reactions: GeorgeMasonCock
We just can't shoot the ball in close and layups, especially under pressure and get the ball taken away much too often. Most lack the touch to do that. If I were Martin, I'd concentrate on shooting in all areas and depend on a good defense for now. He is the coach so I will just cheer for the Gamecocks anyway.

Reactions: whythis28
The concern is not so much in the loss but in the way we played!

Do you think Kentucky played well when they lost on the road to Auburn? There is no way that could ever happen but it did. It happens..in basketball...especially on the road in the SEC. We looked horrible against Alabama on the road and good enough to beat them at home. We had great games against Miss and TAM on the road. We have looked really bad in the 5 games we lost (I actually thought we played a VERY good second half against Mizoo.) All that is behind us. We have already beaten TAM, LSU, Vandy, and Ala. the teams that are challenging us for the top four spots in the SEC. Florida (h) and Georgia (H) are on the radar as contenders. Tn(H), @Mis St and @Ark are spoilers. Just win!!

Reactions: GeorgeMasonCock
I see a lot of negativity after USC's recently loss at Missouri. No doubt, it's a bad loss for a team trying to make the NCAA Tournament. Keep this in mind: A top-5 nationally ranked team has lost to an UNRANKED team 20 times this season. 20 TIMES! It's a fact. It's what men's college basketball is. Frustrating, but it's also what makes it fun once the postseason arrives.

Again, loss to Mizzou was not good. Still plenty of winnable games. Get past it and win the next one. USC's men are not a final 4 team by any stretch, but with our early success this year, I think some fans lost some perspective. Stay with these guys and fill up the arena for home games so they can get to the tournament. Then, as evidenced by the stat mentioned above, anything can happen!

Losses to teams you think you should beat aren't fun, and USC isn't the only team to get upset this year... I'm still enjoying the ride. Go Gamecocks!
Thanks for your perspective. We couldn't have lived without it. Frank still shouldn't have lost that game, especially after the awful showing in the UK game. His lack of recruiting is showing as we approach games of significance.

I would guess not many of the losses were to teams that RPI's as low as Mizzou's and not many occurred down the stretch (vs early in the year). If we can win down the stretch, we'll be fine. If we lose 2-3 more it could put us at risk. Committee always looks at how teams are trending at tourney time. We are trending down but can point the arrow back-up. If the down-trend continues to point down, we are in trouble.

Thanks for your perspective. We couldn't have lived without it. Frank still shouldn't have lost that game, especially after the awful showing in the UK game. His lack of recruiting is showing as we approach games of significance.

"Thanks for your perspective" "We couldn't have lived without it." "Frank shouldn't have lost that game..." "His lack of recruiting is showing." These quotes tell us a lot about Atlanta cocks perspective...Thanks, we could have lived without it.

You know-it-alls just watch. With the SEC tourney approaching you'll see the better teams with better talent step it up a notch or 2. We can't due to lack of talent. But, then you same guys will blame it on the refs or the announcers. smh

You know-it-alls just watch. With the SEC tourney approaching you'll see the better teams with better talent step it up a notch or 2. We can't due to lack of talent. But, then you same guys will blame it on the refs or the announcers. smh
nah, im just gonna blame it on you

I think Kentucky has the talent to separate themselves from the rest of the conference. I think 2-4 in the SEC is a dead toss up at this time. Could be us, Florida, Georgia, TAM, LSU, Vandy or Alabama. Talent??? With the exception of Fla. and Ga. who I don't think are a lot more talented than us...we won't be playing any of those teams. All that talent...will be playing each other. We need to beat 3 of the following...Florida, Georgia, Tn, MSt. and Arkansas. I have watched all of these teams play. When we are playing our best we can play with all of them. When we are playing our worst we can lose to all of them.

"Thanks for your perspective" "We couldn't have lived without it." "Frank shouldn't have lost that game..." "His lack of recruiting is showing." These quotes tell us a lot about Atlanta cocks perspective...Thanks, we could have lived without it.
It's never sunny or even partly cloudy in his world. It's always freezing rain...day, after day, after day.

Reactions: DirtyCock99
We do not want to be in a position to have to show well in the SEC tourney or be in the position to win it all. The game tomorrow against Florida is a must win. Otherwise we continue to fall deeper into a group of teams fighting for the dance. The Missouri game was terrible and we must move on.

Win or lose, I just like to have something to talk about! Analyzing, dissecting specific plays and sets make me happy...especially when you see certain plays end in a layup!

I for one, know that I piss and moan when players miss easy buckets because of not being mentally engaged on what's happening around them on the court.

Is my perspective any different for other fans who also want the team to do well....I doubt it.

Now having said that...."USE THE DANG SQUARE WHEN LAYING THE BALL UP!" Gee-wiz!! lmao

Your lack of basketball knowledge is a joke at best .
Maybe, but you know I'm correct. Of the big 3 local recruits, he got only one. Since he's been here, he's yet to bring in a true knock down scorer. This is his 4th season. He should have brought in one by now.

Maybe, but you know I'm correct. Of the big 3 local recruits, he got only one. Since he's been here, he's yet to bring in a true knock down scorer. This is his 4th season. He should have brought in one by now.
Duane Notice if used properly is a "knock down scorer". If he were on any other team in the SEC he would be all SEC.

Duane Notice if used properly is a "knock down scorer". If he were on any other team in the SEC he would be all SEC.
He can be. I sat 4 rows behind Frank today. In fact I was near Bruce Ellington and Pastides. Frank tore into Notice, Dozier and Stroman. One time he was screaming at Notice as Notice was driving to the basket, making a great play. It was typical Frank. The offense we run doesn't really get guys open on a consistent basis. We seem to work harder to get a good look compared to other teams. At times we just throw it around the 3 point line. But, they played well as a team. Tough D. Great win.

Last edited:
He can be. I sat 4 rows behind Frank today. In fact I was near Bruce Ellington and Pastides. Frank tore into Notice, Dozier and Stroman. One time he was screaming at Notice as Notce was driving to he basket, making a great play. It was typical Frank. The offense we run doesn't really get guys open on a consistent basis. We seem to work harder to get a good look compared to other teams. At times we just throw it around the 3 point line. But, they played well as a team. Tough D. Great win.

Sat in Row 8 must have been 4 rows behind you!!! Wish I had known. I thought FM had screwed the pooch when he took Notice out (with about 7 left) after he couldn't coral a crappy pass. If we would penetrate and pitch out to Notice when Carrera, Kacina, Thornwell have 3 guys all over them he can make the shot like teams do against us. LSU lost...Florida lost...Georgia lost...Alabama lost...TAM/Ky. pull for Kentucky alone in second place tied with LSU (tiebreaker) Need to beat Tennessee Wednesday night!!!

The poster who always comments about lack of offense is the dumbest poster on here. Offense doesn't win championships. Martin has done an outstanding job with what he has. Enjoy the ride folks. Better things to come. If the most talent always won, Conapari would have five national championships instead of one.

Reactions: pepsicock

You need to post a lot more, gosh that made me feel good.

But, they played well as a team. Tough D. Great win.
Fred-sanford-heart-attack-o.gif

Reactions: jeff2001
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT