ADVERTISEMENT

PLease Tell Me We are Currently Searching for an OC and OLine Coach with other Programs Currently Making Changes.

I could deal with retaining Satterfield and getting a new OL coach. Not saying it's ideal, but there could be a case made that the offense stood no chance this year with how bad the OL was. That said, Satterfield's overall track record as OC is not good.

At the least we have to replace OL coach. Bare minimum. Look, Auburn's HC ain't messin' around.
The only way that I could understand Satt being retained, would be in a Co-OC situation with Glenn Thomas. Thomas was Rhule's playcaller at Temple and Baylor. They have worked together before. Maybe we scrap the blending of schemes and fully incorporate Rhule's college scheme with Thomas as playcaller/QB Coach and Satt working with the OL.

I am not saying that this will happen, or is even being considered. Just saying that if he were retained, I could understand if it went down this way.

Reactions: WingchunCock
We had so much talent on offense, spectacular quarterbacks, and an overpowering offensive line. Hard to imagine how any coach could have failed.
Don't disagree that there were things lacking at certain places, but can we honestly say that we don't have better talent than SC State, Georgia Tech, Boston College, Syracuse, UConn, and others on Clemson's schedule? None of them got shut out by Clemson, at home, with 80k rowdy fans making noise. How many players on our roster would walk in and start immediately at any of those schools? Vann, Muse, Bell, White, Harris, Lloyd, Jenkins, and probably more if we're honest. It's partly talent, but it's mainly coaching IMO. We (fans) and the players deserve better than what we've got at OC.

Don't disagree that there were things lacking at certain places, but can we honestly say that we don't have better talent than SC State, Georgia Tech, Boston College, Syracuse, UConn, and others on Clemson's schedule? None of them got shut out by Clemson, at home, with 80k rowdy fans making noise. How many players on our roster would walk in and start immediately at any of those schools? Vann, Muse, Bell, White, Harris, Lloyd, Jenkins, and probably more if we're honest. It's partly talent, but it's mainly coaching IMO. We (fans) and the players deserve better than what we've got at OC.
Just take a look at how we fill out our roster. Transfers from small colleges, and such a desperate need at the most important position Qb, we had to use a grad assistant. Nobody can compete successfully against our schedule with such a lack of talent. Name me a G5 conference we could have won.

In case you were not paying attention, clemson is playing much better at end of season than they were in September and October.

There's nothing personal against Satterfield. If he did not already have a track record of failing as the OC at another school, that would be one thing. BUT, he does. It is so amazing to me that Beamer hired him. Surely Shane did his homework and looked at Satterfield's previous stint as an Offensive Coordinator, prior to hiring him. It just looks to me like Shane was doing a personal favor for a friend whom he previously worked with and had as a groomsman in his wedding. If I'm right about that, then I am very disappointed in Shane. We gave him a shot at being a Head Coach in the SEC without him having previous Head Coaching experience nor experience as an Offensive or Defensive Coordinator. I feel like Shane owed loyalty to this university and Gamecock fans before loyalty to a friend. The University of South Carolina gave Shane a shot at being a Head Coach in the SEC without such prior experience. Marcus Satterfield did not give Shane that opportunity. I believe we are paying Satterfield $900,000/year. You mean to tell me Shane could not find someone with proven, successful Offensive Coordinator experience for that kind of money? I don't believe that. He found a good, proven Defensive Coordinator with successful experience. Why not on offense? Think about this: Sam Pittman at Arkansas never had collegiate Head Coaching experience nor OC or DC experience. He went out and hired Kendall Briles as OC and Barry Odom as DC, both having proven, previous success as Coordinators.

Ask yourself this: If Brent Venables is leaving Clemson, do you think Dabo will replace him with Lorenzo Whammy Ward or someone of that caliber? Oh puhleeeeese. Get real.

If Beamer deserves three seasons before we keep him long term, or kick him to the curb, then allow Beamer's coaches a little more time. It is Beamers program, and his task to rebuild it. He is aware of the consequences of failing.

Just take a look at how we fill out our roster. Transfers from small colleges, and such a desperate need at the most important position Qb, we had to use a grad assistant. Nobody can compete successfully against our schedule with such a lack of talent. Name me a G5 conference we could have won.

In case you were not paying attention, clemson is playing much better at end of season than they were in September and October.
Definitely, Clemson did play better offensively in the second half of the season, but their defense has been solid all year.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that we have some playmakers, better ones than the schools mentioned above. We weren't innovative enough to get them the ball enough. For example, Bell made 2nd team All-SEC. He's a playmaker. He had 25 receptions this year, basically 2 per game. Why? Why did our best back this year (Z. White) sit for a 3-4 game stretch? Just head-scratching. Yet (and no offense to him) we continue to trot Joyner out there, trying to get him the ball. This isn't rocket science to me personally. It makes me think we have an OC that's in way over his head. Get your proven playmakers the ball.

They shouldn't be judged for not being able to win more with such a talent deficient team in their first year.
The OL had a lot of starters returning including 4 stars and a good running back group, including 4 stars. Muse made some previous pre-season all star lists. Vann was a 4 star. Doty, who did play some, was a 4 star. I don't buy that we were THAT "talent deficient" on offense that it produced the 116th ranked offense in the country. Coaching, more accurately, lack of coaching, played a part.

The OL had a lot of starters returning including 4 stars and a good running back group, including 4 stars. Muse made some previous pre-season all star lists. Vann was a 4 star. Doty, who did play some, was a 4 star. I don't buy that we were THAT "talent deficient" on offense that it produced the 116th ranked offense in the country. Coaching, more accurately, lack of coaching, played a part.
The whole star rating system has many flaws. They get a lot of their evaluations correct, but they whiff on a lot too. Every team sometimes has four and five star players that performed like two star players, and vice versa. Nobody can judge how motivated a recruit is to maximize his ability. The star ratings get fans interested in recruiting. Some fans get so interested by the star ratings they pay money to get the news first. Programs with good talent evaluators do not need a star rating to determine if a recruit can play.

The whole star rating system has many flaws. They get a lot of their evaluations correct, but they whiff on a lot too. Every team sometimes has four and five star players that performed like two star players, and vice versa. Nobody can judge how motivated a recruit is to maximize his ability. The star ratings get fans interested in recruiting. Some fans get so interested by the star ratings they pay money to get the news first. Programs with good talent evaluators do not need a star rating to determine if a recruit can play.
Forget the star ratings then. Pretty much this same OL blocked much better last year -- against an all SEC schedule. This year, with four patsies on the schedule and a deeper stable of talented RBs, they look completely lost.

This ain't all on the players.

Forget the star ratings then. Pretty much this same OL blocked much better last year -- against an all SEC schedule. This year, with four patsies on the schedule and a deeper stable of talented RBs, they look completely lost.

This ain't all on the players.
2020 we won two games with that offensive line.

I keep seeing posts about "rumors." What are these rumors that are supposedly hurtful? The rumors keep being mentioned without details.
There are two different things at play in terms of the rumors I believe. One is that there are issues among the staff with Satterfield. It was noted during the season that one or more coaches were unhappy with the way he works with the rest of the group and his unwillingness to take input or accept things that aren’t his idea. The second one is in regards to recruits who are delaying commitments to see if he returns and if he does they may likely go elsewhere.

What would y'all think about Graham Harrell from Southern Cal? He was pretty prolific at Texas Tech and would provide a pipeline to Texas with his roots.

The OL coach has had success at multiple stops before. Satterfield has never had success at any stop.
Agreed. Adkins has coached some good OL’s in the past.

Those people wistfully thinking that our OL was better last year forget that our QB’s have been treated like crash test dummies for several years.

Last year featured a healthy Harris running a lot out of the I formation, breaking tackles. Between having Covid and back surgery he didn’t look the same this year.

I think Satterfield had difficulty putting guys in the right position, with the right calls to make them successful. And I think the reads and calls slowed down our already slow OL. That bit of hesitancy helped defensive guys blow by them.

Here's a question...

If your son was a top notch offensive recruit, would you encourage him to go play in Satterfield's offense, considering his known and extensive track record? You've got to think there are conversations being had right now asking those type questions.

Again, against an all SEC schedule. There were no EIUs, ECUs or Troy's on the schedule last year. And our new DC has managed to put a somewhat respectable defense on the field with a decimated leftover unit.

Satterfield has NEVER done that -- here or anywhere else.

PLease Tell Me We are Currently Searching for an OC and OLine Coach with other Programs Currently Making Changes.​

We are completely happy with this staff and will be making no changes. We are the most parsimonious program in the SEC and we intend to hold on to that distinction. Everyone needs to be #1 at something.

We are completely happy with this staff and will be making no changes. We are the most parsimonious program in the SEC and we intend to hold on to that distinction. Everyone needs to be #1 at something.
You know how to call them. Word of the day, parsimonious, that is USC.

Reactions: king ward
Looks like a Muschamp repeat performance, refusing to get rid of bad coordinators. At the top, you have to make quick, tough decisions.

Our offense last year's Total Offense ranking was 98th. The Rushing Offense last year was ranked 60th. This year's offense Total Offense ranking is 116th. This year's Rushing Offense is ranked 104th.

And it's even worse for this year's 2021 offense than it looks at first glance. Last year we played an ALL-SEC schedule. This year's schedule includes 2 mid-major schools and one FCS school.

Reactions: king ward
Our offense last year's Total Offense ranking was 98th. The Rushing Offense last year was ranked 60th. This year's offense Total Offense ranking is 116th. This year's Rushing Offense is ranked 104th.

And it's even worse for this year's 2021 offense than it looks at first glance. Last year we played an ALL-SEC schedule. This year's schedule includes 2 mid-major schools and one FCS school.
That's what I call putting things in perspective.

Reactions: gamecock stock

We both know Harris was not 100% most of this season. Those hits that he seemed to run through in 2020 did take a toll on him.

There's nothing personal against Satterfield. If he did not already have a track record of failing as the OC at another school, that would be one thing. BUT, he does. It is so amazing to me that Beamer hired him. Surely Shane did his homework and looked at Satterfield's previous stint as an Offensive Coordinator, prior to hiring him. It just looks to me like Shane was doing a personal favor for a friend whom he previously worked with and had as a groomsman in his wedding. If I'm right about that, then I am very disappointed in Shane. We gave him a shot at being a Head Coach in the SEC without him having previous Head Coaching experience nor experience as an Offensive or Defensive Coordinator. I feel like Shane owed loyalty to this university and Gamecock fans before loyalty to a friend. The University of South Carolina gave Shane a shot at being a Head Coach in the SEC without such prior experience. Marcus Satterfield did not give Shane that opportunity. I believe we are paying Satterfield $900,000/year. You mean to tell me Shane could not find someone with proven, successful Offensive Coordinator experience for that kind of money? I don't believe that. He found a good, proven Defensive Coordinator with successful experience. Why not on offense? Think about this: Sam Pittman at Arkansas never had collegiate Head Coaching experience nor OC or DC experience. He went out and hired Kendall Briles as OC and Barry Odom as DC, both having proven, previous success as Coordinators.

Ask yourself this: If Brent Venables is leaving Clemson, do you think Dabo will replace him with Lorenzo Whammy Ward or someone of that caliber? Oh puhleeeeese. Get real.
I used to be a corporate CEO. The biggest mistake I ever made was hiring friends -- it was impossible for me to hold them accountable and it cost me dearly. Shane needs to put emotion aside and find the best damn offensive line coach in the country. No OC could manage the 34 points per game you need in the SEC with a line that 1) creates no run lanes; 2) will get the quarterback killed; 3) ruins a third of our running plays by letting defenders in so that they disrupt the HANDOFF! Why wasn't Adkins fired early in the season? Our excuse of a line is a total train wreck.

The story of our offense as a whole all season, even with most linemen returning from last season.
I see no point in shouting for assistant coaches to be fired just one season into a MAJOR rebuild. That is the head coach's decision. It will not bother me if he replaces some of his staff, and I totally understand it if he believes in giving the current staff another year. Hopefully soon SEC quality players will start replacing the walk-ons and small college transfers on the roster.

I used to be a corporate CEO. The biggest mistake I ever made was hiring friends -- it was impossible for me to hold them accountable and it cost me dearly. Shane needs to put emotion aside and find the best damn offensive line coach in the country. No OC could manage the 34 points per game you need in the SEC with a line that 1) creates no run lanes; 2) will get the quarterback killed; 3) ruins a third of our running plays by letting defenders in so that they disrupt the HANDOFF! Why wasn't Adkins fired early in the season? Our excuse of a line is a total train wreck.
I agree that we need a new OL coach. But, we have an OC now who has been poor at that job with another school where Adkins was not the OL coach.

Reactions: chief2791
I see no point in shouting for assistant coaches to be fired just one season into a MAJOR rebuild. That is the head coach's decision. It will not bother me if he replaces some of his staff, and I totally understand it if he believes in giving the current staff another year. Hopefully soon SEC quality players will start replacing the walk-ons and small college transfers on the roster.
I agree it is Beamer's decision. Mistakes are made in hiring all the time. You have to hope that the hiring authority realizes the mistake(s) fast enough, before it's too late. I do like the White hire though. His defense was not overflowing with talent either and yet still is ranked highly. Hope we can keep him for a long time.

Some of you are so quick to want to get rid of people - why not give them time? You ran off Bobo. If you hadn`t we would probably have that 5* QB coming in. Why don`t you give people a chance? Do you really think we have talent comparable(overall) to the other teams in the league? Instead of hiring/firing/hiring people why don`t you give them a chance to do the thing that will improve our program more than anything - recruit.

Some of you are so quick to want to get rid of people - why not give them time? You ran off Bobo. If you hadn`t we would probably have that 5* QB coming in. Why don`t you give people a chance? Do you really think we have talent comparable(overall) to the other teams in the league? Instead of hiring/firing/hiring people why don`t you give them a chance to do the thing that will improve our program more than anything - recruit.
He left on his own and was fired after one season from his new job and the QB didn’t follow him there either.

Bobo just got fired after one year at the school he went to. He was better than Satterfield, but not looking all-world these days.

This was a joke that he would go to “Saban’s coaching rehab”.

Do you think Saban gets kicks by rehabbing coaches he lost to. Bet he makes them miss a ring.

Reactions: vacock#
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT