ADVERTISEMENT

***Pool Bash notes and scoop (updated Sat. a.m.)

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
Here's where we will house arrivals, updates, and various scoop from today's first-ever Gamecock Pool Bash.

The event will get underway at the Strom Thurmond Fitness and Wellness Center at about 3:00 p.m. today; stay tuned right here for updates along the way. Keep checking back often, as we'll update this thread along the way.

VISITOR LIST

Got a quote from DB commitment JJ Givens on how things went for him: "It was amazing, no place I'd rather be."

Nothing terribly new on 2018 ATH Dakereon Joyner, by the way. He's sort of backing off naming leaders, which makes sense because it's extremely early for him. Later next week we'll run a full story with some more detailed comments about his trip. He had a good time, and I suppose the most significant development is he hasn't been naming Clemson his leader lately.

2017 OL Isaiah Wilson tells GCC he's going to be traveling to USC tomorrow as his plans changed; so he'll be on campus later tomorrow.

Florida LB commitment Vosean Joseph entered the visit with USC no. 2 on his list behind the Gators and exited with the same. He legitimately really enjoyed the visit. USC compares him to Skai Moore and wants him to start out at WILL backer and move over to MIKE eventually. He spoke highly of everything, but unfortunately for USC he made that early commitment and said that it would take something drastic (like a coaching change) to change that. We'll see; USC will probably keep after it.

*** I'm (Wes) hearing that the John Simpson visit, in particular, couldn't have gone much better.

DE Jordan Smith is staying overnight and will complete his visit on Saturday. (Reminder: we're hearing he will announce a decision at his school this coming week)

DT Nyles Pinckney says he had a great visit and that he loves South Carolina's business school. He got a strong look at the program from an off-the-field standpoint for the first time and that went a long way. Pinckney says he wants to make a decision the third week of August but he also said wants to take some officials so obviously that doesn't work. Pinckney says it's mainly a Clemson/South Carolina battle with Georgia and Georgia Tech also in it.

DE Jordan Smith was on commitment watch coming into this weekend, but I'm told it looks like he may announce next week during a ceremony at his school based on what I'm told.

Pretty neat idea: USC had a "commitment helmet" in Spurrier's office that said 2016 on it that the commitments on campus today signed. It was then moved to the pool party.

Talked to 2016 OL Marcus Tatum - he still has his top 8 with USC in it and is focused on his season right now. He's not claiming favorites but spoke highly of the facilities and the visit overall. You'll be able to see many more of his comments in full in a future story.

OL John Simpson said he had an excellent visit and that everyone is tied. He plans to make a decision at the U.S. Army game. Simpson said he didn't feel like Steve Spurrier was leaving any time soon. Simpson wants to take all five official visits. He plans to be back at USC for the Kentucky game.

Caught up with new commitment Chris Smith. He said that Spurrier Jr. talked to him about playing some receiver and on special teams as a return man today. He talked highly about the opportunity to continue the tradition of Rock Hill players at USC. Smith is also planning on enrolling early, we hear.

JUCO OL Akeem Cooperwood loved the visit, which was his first to campus. Cooperwood loved the food and a chance to hang out with the coaches. He's going to visit Saturday as well to tour campus reading between the lines, I could see a commitment this weekend.

2017 OL Eric Douglas has South Carolina as a leader and wants to commit a couple of days after signing day. Douglas says he and TJ Moore are a package deal.

2017 QB Jake Fromm says he's getting close to a decision and wants to do something before the season. South Carolina, Ole Miss and Alabama are definitely finalist, he says. Fromm said this may or may not be his last visit. Fromm said that Spurrier was joking around and said if he committed today that he would stay at SC for six years.

OL Pete Leota says that USC is back in the lead with UNC behind. He indicated he wants to decide soon, he says.

Chris Smith becomes the first commitment of the day: http://southcarolina.forums.rivals.com/threads/smith-commits.41961/

We anticipate that there is a good chance of multiple commitments today/this weekend.

South Carolina 2014 DE signee Kalan Ritchie made it to Columbia.

2016 OL Marcus Tatum is on campus and has been in Columbia all day.

2018 ATH Dakereon Joyner and in-state 2016 OL John Simpson are both on campus now.

2016 DB Marlon Character isn't making it in today, but he will be on campus tomorrow. His father has to work today, and they're both making the trip on Saturday.

2017 QB Jake Fromm made it in, as did current QB commitment Brandon McIlwain.

As of this particular writing (3:30), the arriving prospects and families are getting registered and meeting with coaches.

In-state DT Nyles Pinckney is in Columbia with his parents.

2016 OL Brett Heggie is at Florida's Friday Night Lights right now, so he must be visiting USC tomorrow.

2016 LB Vosean Joseph is now on campus - current Florida commitment.

2017 OL Eric Douglas and TJ Moore from Mallard Creek are en route as I type this.

In case you missed my post earlier, JUCO OL Ashton Julious is not making it in today. Another big JUCO OL, Akeem Cooperwood, is already on campus with Kalan Ritchie.

2017 OL Isaiah Wilson released a top ten in advance of his USC visit today: Auburn, Alabama, FSU, Michigan, South Carolina, Miami, Rutgers, Nebraska, Ohio State, and Maryland all made the cut. It's in no order. Wilson was at Clemson yesterday.

2017 DB Josh Brown was on our list as a possibility; he's not making it in and will be at Tennessee this weekend.

Wes already posted that 2017 QB Cade Weldon is on campus and visiting the Gamecocks.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News