ADVERTISEMENT

Practice Insider - Depth chart scoop

W

Wes Mitchell

-- The biggest surprise on the depth chart released Sunday was that Chaz Elder is listed as a starter at one of the cornerback positions. We've mentioned before that South Carolina is likely to play more zone this season under Jon Hoke and Elder is a far better fit to do that than he was to play cornerback in the Gamecocks' old scheme where there was far more man-to-man coverage which requires a different skillset.

In a zone defense, Elder's size, length and athleticism are considered major pluses. He won't be required to turn his hips and run in phase with receivers nearly as much, but will be asked to play his area and use his length to disrupt passes. While coaches aren't infallible, and only time will tell if Elder can hold onto his spot as a first stringer, Hoke's 13-year career coaching defensive backs in the NFL is quite a resume and I have no doubt that he knows what is required to play the position at a high level. I'd say he's earned the benefit of the doubt.

-- True freshman wide receiver Jerad Washington sustained a broken leg in practice Sunday evening. Washington was going up for a contested pass and got tangled up with the defensive back whose foot came down on his leg. I'm told it was just a freak accident on what was a nice catch from Washington. I had heard some rumblings that the staff was leaning towards playing Washington prior to the injury. Washington is looking at 6-8 weeks of recover time and will take a medical redshirt this season.

Washington was working at the 'Z' receiver spot which lines up in the slot. Washington was listed third string at the position behind Pharoh Cooper and Matrick Belton. Washington's injury increases the chances that true freshman Jalen Christian will play this season.

-- We've had some questions about offensive lineman D.J. Park and why he was not listed on the offensive line depth chart. Park had a really strong spring, but was unable to springboard into a strong summer. The freshman offensive linemen have picked things up quickly and Donell Stanley had a very good spring.

While Park has worked some at tackle, he's really more of a guard and Stanley, who the staff wants to keep at right guard, and Zack Bailey find themselves ahead of Park who appears to still be in the doghouse, so to speak.

-- While Shon Carson and Deebo Samuel are listed as the starters at the kickoff return spot, as of last night, no decision had been made (or at least expressed to the team) on who the starting kickoff returner will be. We told you way back right before he enrolled that freshman running back A.J. Turner would be in the mix for the kickoff return job and he still is, despite not being listed on the depth chart there.

Turner has been in a black scout team jersey at practice, but right now the expectation is for him to avoid a redshirt. I'm told that Steve Spurrier himself has taken a special interest in Turner and what he could potentially bring to the kickoff return game, so that's something to keep an eye on. I get the feeling that Turner will get his shot there at some point, maybe as soon as this week.

-- It was a bit of a surprise to me that tight end Jacob August was not listed on the depth chart at tight end. I've done some checking and August isn't injured or anything, and he's actually been working third at tight end in practice behind Jerell Adams and Hayden Hurst, who has impressed with his pass-catching ability. I'm still not sure why exactly August isn't listed, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: washington cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News