ADVERTISEMENT

President Caslen Addresses The Team

What is the Big opposition to the new President. Three star General. Superintendent of one of the best universities in the country and great leadership skills. He might not have been my first choice, but I think it was a good choice. I wouldn't match against him. He's our President, let's get behind him.

The reality that a politician handpicked him and forced the BOT to vote him in.

I’d be upset at any candidate that got the job like that, including my wife.

I am against political involvement in my school like that. Always have been. I didn’t like it back in the 70s and 80s when it was going on in athletics and I don’t like it regarding the administration now.

Rollerdude123 I agree that should never happen. Know that he is our President, I think we look bad trying to take him down. He has the credentials and is well known nationally. I just hope that we give him a chance. Thanks...

Rollerdude123 I agree that should never happen. Know that he is our President, I think we look bad trying to take him down. He has the credentials and is well known nationally. I just hope that we give him a chance. Thanks...

If it makes you feel better, no one is trying to "take him down". There are, however, efforts to restructure the Board of Trustees, and there will be considerable scrutiny of the processes for future administrative appointments. The reality is that: 1. he isn't known at all nationally in academic circles (at least for research universities such as USC), 2. there may be short-term repercussions for the university, but this will all blow over before too long, and 3. the hiring of our next Provost will be equally important (or more so) for how the university is run.

He has the credentials

Do you need a PhD to be a college president?

As a college president you need a wise person who knows education and is a good administrator. ... Earned doctoral degrees - most often the PhD, but alternatively degrees in law, medicine, divinity, science, or education - are today almost mandatory for would-be college or university presidents. Jul 11, 1983

I'm always perplexed why people who have no respect for USC's students, staff, or faculty supposedly care about what happens at the university.
Much respect for students; commitment and focus are required to successfully navigate a minefield of distractions in the college environment. However, they simply do not possess enough life awareness and wisdom at their stage to have a significant say in the university's hiring decisions.

Faculty? Frankly, there were some when I attended that I came to not respect a whole lot.

Much respect for students; commitment and focus are required to successfully navigate a minefield of distractions in the college environment. However, they simply do not possess enough life awareness and wisdom at their stage to have a significant say in the university's hiring decisions.

Faculty? Frankly, there were some when I attended that I came to not respect a whole lot.

You may (or may not) actually respect our students, but read through some of the comments in this thread or the other search threads and you'll see that others do not. And no one has ever argued that they should have a 'significant say' in the university's hiring decisions; the question has simply been whether they should even be allowed to voice their opinions.

As for faculty, it's not really relevant whether you have little respect for a few that you encountered while at USC. There's some that I don't respect much, and I work there. That's not a basis, however, for disrespecting all faculty or their input in the process or for promoting the kind of crazy nonsense that people like Curtis Loftis tossed out during this process.

Finally, it's never been argued on FGF by anyone knowledgeable about how searches like this work that the final decision was anyone but the BOT's. There have been very legitimate questions raised about the process, though, which has been an embarrassment to the state and the university.

Thankfully, we have wise people like ~checks notes~Bubba Fennell, to make these decisions.

This is the George Castanzia of BOTs.

Reactions: GeoCocky
You may (or may not) actually respect our students, but read through some of the comments in this thread or the other search threads and you'll see that others do not. And no one has ever argued that they should have a 'significant say' in the university's hiring decisions; the question has simply been whether they should even be allowed to voice their opinions.

As for faculty, it's not really relevant whether you have little respect for a few that you encountered while at USC. There's some that I don't respect much, and I work there. That's not a basis, however, for disrespecting all faculty or their input in the process or for promoting the kind of crazy nonsense that people like Curtis Loftis tossed out during this process.

Finally, it's never been argued on FGF by anyone knowledgeable about how searches like this work that the final decision was anyone but the BOT's. There have been very legitimate questions raised about the process, though, which has been an embarrassment to the state and the university.

Our BOT needs a MAJOR overhaul. The lack of diversity is an embarrassment to the university. Also, the SC Governor should lose his/her seat.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Great hire imo. I like his approach right out of the box; can do attitude borne from the military background.

Reactions: cockgun
COLUMBIA — University of South Carolina trustees are mounting an effort to remove the board’s top two leaders after a tortured search for a new president.

Chairman Jon von Lehe and Vice Chairman Hugh Mobley could face a vote of no confidence at a board meeting Friday if they don’t step down from their leadership posts, four trustees told The Post and Courier on Tuesday.

https://www.postandcourier.com/poli...cle_3905a5d0-bded-11e9-bd48-33f7aac4683a.html

There's a lot of unhappiness and unease over James Smith's intrusive role in the transition process, too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT