ADVERTISEMENT

Public Service Announcement for Youngsters 55 and older.

fowl_mood

Gold Member
Oct 28, 1998
Probably be locked, but if we save a life or two, so be it. Yall in SC can get your shot starting Monday. Teachers too.

Ok Mods, lock the thread.

Last edited:
already all booked up here, cant find a spot anywhere.

ALSO a very helpful tip. If you go into a pharmacy near 4-6 pm and ask if they had any cancellations - MOST of the time they will let you jump in since the thawed out vaccine will be otherwise thrown away

Got my parents booked for theirs in PA. Had to sit on the computer on the Rite Aid website for hours (not an exaggeration) and press the same button over and over again. Took a good part of the day yesterday, but dad is getting his tomorrow and mom on Saturday. Otherwise, there's no telling when they'd have gotten theirs.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
My dad gets his second shot this week. He was struggling to find any open appointments for weeks and then they were able to get him in ASAP. Hopefully we can get the rest of the state rolled out quickly.

My dad gets his second shot this week. He was struggling to find any open appointments for weeks and then they were able to get him in ASAP. Hopefully we can get the rest of the state rolled out quickly.

Did the health people not book his 2nd appointment at the time they booked his first appointment? In NC they book both at the same time that way one does not have to worry about getting the 2nd vaccine.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
Look for one of the mass vaccination sites .Much simpler and you don't even have to get out of the car.Look at MUSC and Prisma health for possible sites/dates.

Did the health people not book his 2nd appointment at the time they booked his first appointment? In NC they book both at the same time that way one does not have to worry about getting the 2nd vaccine.
My bad. I meant he was struggling to get the first for weeks and then they got him in bang bang.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
They did the same here in Ga. When we got our 1st, they scheduled us for our 2nd. We now have had both shots.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
They should have been but while a lot of people value public education in this state, the governor is not one of them.
The youth have very little chance of getting Covid according to science, especially elementary age kids. They are also the most in need of instruction. Logic says they could have gone back and let the older kids who are computer savvy go virtual. I saw on the news that overdose and self harm have exploded during the pandemic. What is worse? I don’t have the answers, just questions

The youth have very little chance of getting Covid according to science, especially elementary age kids. They are also the most in need of instruction. Logic says they could have gone back and let the older kids who are computer savvy go virtual. I saw on the news that overdose and self harm have exploded during the pandemic. What is worse? I don’t have the answers, just questions

That science shows very little regard for the adults in the building.

Drugs and suicide have been around forever. In the end it’s the people closest to the people with a drug problem and suicidal thoughts to step in. They’re the ones that know them best, should spend the most time around them and will see the signs (or choose to ignore them).

Somewhere along the way society became comfortable letting the schools become the educator, babysitter, mental health help, provider, parent and anything else needed all while in this state continuing to fund schools below the level created by the state legislature.

The least our governor could do is vaccinate teachers before demanding schools reopen, but with him you get below the least.

Logic would also state that teachers should have had the option to be vaccinated before restarting in person classes. I'm pretty sure having your teacher die or get drastically ill could be quite scarring for the kids to endure as well.
Also if we're being honest many of these kids are at risk too from the high obesity and diabetes rates too. There's no simple solution to all these issues but teachers getting priority vaccination seems to be a no brainer for restarting schools.

They should have been but while a lot of people value public education in this state, the governor is not one of them.
Give me a break, man. It's pretty freaking selfish to suggest that teachers in their 20s, 30s, and 40s should be getting the vaccine before all the 70+ year olds have had a chance to get it. Teachers are no more "front line" than the vast majority of jobs out there.

That science shows very little regard for the adults in the building.

Drugs and suicide have been around forever. In the end it’s the people closest to the people with a drug problem and suicidal thoughts to step in. They’re the ones that know them best, should spend the most time around them and will see the signs (or choose to ignore them).

Somewhere along the way society became comfortable letting the schools become the educator, babysitter, mental health help, provider, parent and anything else needed all while in this state continuing to fund schools below the level created by the state legislature.

The least our governor could do is vaccinate teachers before demanding schools reopen, but with him you get below the least.
People want to use suicide and depression as a reason to open up but dont want to actually address real suicide and depression issues. Our country is absolutely terrible at mental health

Give me a break, man. It's pretty freaking selfish to suggest that teachers in their 20s, 30s, and 40s should be getting the vaccine before all the 70+ year olds have had a chance to get it. Teachers are no more "front line" than the vast majority of jobs out there.

You do realize there are a lot of teachers in their 50s and 60s? Do I really need to send you a PowerPoint of the teachers that died in this pandemic to make it more real?

What front line job spends a majority of their day in a poorly ventilated room in close proximity to 25-125 different people (elementary vs high school) each day?

You’re also choosing to take the side of “teachers are taking vaccines from the elderly” without explaining how North Carolina is able to do it but South Carolina can’t.

How do you not get that a teacher not getting a virus is much more valuable to reducing the spread than a 70 year old?

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
If we're stating that education is essential for our kids then yes they do deserve preferential treatment when it comes to being vaccinated. It's not a teachers vs the elderly situation. If the elderly still aren't vaccinated then that means the process for vaccinating teachers and reopening schools should be delayed until they are given the opportunity to be vaccinated. Throwing our teachers in the trenches with 1000+ kids who are easily asymptomatic on a daily basis in close proximity for long hours is the worst thing we could do.

You do realize there are a lot of teachers in their 50s and 60s? Do I really need to send you a PowerPoint of the teachers that died in this pandemic to make it more real?

What front line job spends a majority of their day in a poorly ventilated room in close proximity to 25-125 different people (elementary vs high school) each day?
You act as if the vaccine is the only mitigation to take against the virus. My middle schooler has attended in-person classes all year. It hasn't been a "normal" year, but it's been 100 times more effective than the online schedule attempted last spring. In a school of 600 students, not one student or teacher has been confirmed to have contracted covid within the school. There hasn't been an "outbreak" in the school or any of the other schools in the county. It's possible to continue with in-person learning in a safe manner if people are willing to work to find a way to make it happen. If everybody throws their hands up in the face of a challenge, we'll never get anywhere.

I'll answer your initial question with a question: you do realize that teachers in their 60s dont have to be treated exactly the same as teachers in their 20s? I don't have the time to micro-manage the opening of every individual school and every classroom, but I know that if people spent as much time working toward a solution as they do complaining, it would get done.

How do you not get that a teacher not getting a virus is much more valuable to reducing the spread than a 70 year old?
How do you not get that a 70 year old is about a 1000 times more likely to die if they contract covid than a teacher in her 20s? And why are teachers somehow more at risk than all the customer service workers out there? The SCIENCE! doesn't suggest they are.

No way no how should a 20 or 30 something year old teacher get included with the sick (underlying conditions) or elderly simply because they are a teacher. No way.

You act as if the vaccine is the only mitigation to take against the virus. My middle schooler has attended in-person classes all year. It hasn't been a "normal" year, but it's been 100 times more effective than the online schedule attempted last spring. In a school of 600 students, not one student or teacher has been confirmed to have contracted covid within the school. There hasn't been an "outbreak" in the school or any of the other schools in the county. It's possible to continue with in-person learning in a safe manner if people are willing to work to find a way to make it happen. If everybody throws their hands up in the face of a challenge, we'll never get anywhere.

I'll answer your initial question with a question: you do realize that teachers in their 60s dont have to be treated exactly the same as teachers in their 20s? I don't have the time to micro-manage the opening of every individual school and every classroom, but I know that if people spent as much time working toward a solution as they do complaining, it would get done.

Your middle schooler is fortunate. Not everyone got a ride on the immunity train. In fact educators across this country have died by the thousands across this country.

I am going to call BS on no one getting it in your kids entire school. The fact is schools are politically motivated to keep these numbers low. I know for a fact that the number in my school alone of staff is vastly underreported on the district web site. Schools can only get kid numbers if parents report it....and I know you’ll be shocked to hear that few parents pick up the phone and call school if their kid is suspected or even has coronavirus.

You also realize that a person in their late 60s that is sitting home watching the Price is Right all day is less likely to catch the disease than a teacher in a school of a couple thousand students? See how easy it is to pick one question out to defend your stance.

Probably be locked, but if we save a life or two, so be it. Yall in SC can get your shot starting Monday. Teachers too.

Ok Mods, lock the thread.
I’m 68 and have not had the injection (don’t call it a vaccine because it isn’t). Don’t plan to get it so I’m glad someone else can use it.

While "children have very little chance of getting covid" they can however carry it and expose it to the adult teachers.

My sister just got it this week.

• Sad

In what state, city, school district does your middle schooler attend??

My neighbor across the street works for the school district and it's her job to handle the virus problems with teachers and schools.

You, my friend, are either wrong or your school district admins are hiding the numbers...

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say we all value our teachers, and they deserve recognition and to be praised for a tough job in these difficult times. However, this idea that their job is more important than mine when it comes to safety and Covid exposure and protocol is absurd. My two elementary aged children go to school in Lexington and have been going 4 days in-person for quite awhile now, and they're about to go back 5 days a week come March 16th. Everyone at the school is masked, they stay within their same class/group of kids at all times, lunch is delivered to the classroom, related arts teachers come to them in class, and so on. I get up and go into work along with the hundreds of other people in my building every single day. We have been back full time since June - we are required to be here. I, too, am exposed to 25-30 plus people a day. I am in the "younger" demographic so I can wait my turn for a shot. I don't understand this argument that teachers need to be vaccinated before the elderly. If they are a teacher and of the age to get the shot, then by all means go and get it. Otherwise, everyone needs to work, so do what you have to do to make it happen. Bottom line - teachers w e love you, but your job is no more important than mine in the grand scheme of things.

I think it's safe to say we all value our teachers, and they deserve recognition and to be praised for a tough job in these difficult times. However, this idea that their job is more important than mine when it comes to safety and Covid exposure and protocol is absurd. My two elementary aged children go to school in Lexington and have been going 4 days in-person for quite awhile now, and they're about to go back 5 days a week come March 16th. Everyone at the school is masked, they stay within their same class/group of kids at all times, lunch is delivered to the classroom, related arts teachers come to them in class, and so on. I get up and go into work along with the hundreds of other people in my building every single day. We have been back full time since June - we are required to be here. I, too, am exposed to 25-30 plus people a day. I am in the "younger" demographic so I can wait my turn for a shot. I don't understand this argument that teachers need to be vaccinated before the elderly. If they are a teacher and of the age to get the shot, then by all means go and get it. Otherwise, everyone needs to work, so do what you have to do to make it happen. Bottom line - teachers w e love you, but your job is no more important than mine in the grand scheme of things.

You seem reasonable and genuine but I also think you’re believing a little too much of what the Governor is saying. No one is saying teachers should be prioritized before the elderly, heck I’d imagine just about every elderly person that wants one has one at this point.

When teachers are clunked into the same group vaccine wise as fat 17 year olds, that lets you know how our state government values educators.

Reactions: Silverspur02
Teachers should have been included in the first group...
Why? Were they high risk for exposure? From children? Science doesn’t say that. Better chance of exposure at the grocery store, dinner, church, etc. like all of us. They weren’t high risk just because of their profession. Now personally, I say open it to everyone.

Why? Were they high risk for exposure? From children? Science doesn’t say that. Better chance of exposure at the grocery store, dinner, church, etc. like all of us. They weren’t high risk just because of their profession. Now personally, I say open it to everyone.

Go back up and read my post #26..

My sister didn't go to the grocery store, out to eat, church, etc since this started. She got it from the kids.

So, at the risk of getting banned, screw you.

Here is my science... where is yours??

Last edited:

My sister didn't go to the grocery store, out to eat, church, etc since this started. She got it from the kids.

Sorry your sister got COVID. Was it contact traced to one of her students? That would be very rare - not impossible but very rare. Most SCIENTIFIC studies point that children rarely get Covid and aren’t likely spreaders of the disease. At school, better chance to get it from another teacher than a student.

Reactions: lr1007
Sorry your sister got COVID. Was it contact traced to one of her students? That would be very rare - not impossible but very rare. Most SCIENTIFIC studies point that children rarely get Covid and aren’t likely spreaders of the disease. At school, better chance to get it from another teacher than a student.

And yet I provided you a link that said kids can spread it...

One of the kids Dad came down with it last Monday. Kids can carry, read the link.

I am out of this conversation....

In what state, city, school district does your middle schooler attend??

My neighbor across the street works for the school district and it's her job to handle the virus problems with teachers and schools.

You, my friend, are either wrong or your school district admins are hiding the numbers...

Every COVID death is a tragedy and if you are personally impacted devastating. All professions have suffered deaths. Alabama Education Association, in the article, have lost 30 teachers to COVID but they have over 85,000 members. That is 0.03%. The American Federation of Teachers, the largest teachers union with over 1.7M members, has noted 707 teacher deaths In one of the other articles. That is 0.04%. America, in general, has a mortality rate of 2%.

I don’t mention the statistics to trivialize any death. I work in healthcare - I know the impact. One hospital I support lost over 20 nurses (ONE hospital) - many more became ill and recovered.

I just note the most vulnerable should be prioritized based on science and statistics until we can open it to everyone, which can’t come soon enough.

Reactions: bucketdad
It’s not a vaccine? What do you suggest it is? Whatever you believe, you are wrong. It is a vaccine.
A vaccine is an injection of an active or inactive virus or germ that allows the body to build antibodies. The Covid shot is an injection of mRNA material that essentially sends a message to your body’s cells in hopes that the cellular message is understood. Read a book before you call someone wrong. I don’t suggest anything — I don’t G-A-S whether people take an injection of anything or not. I just know that I won’t be taking one. If that bothers anyone, well that’s Tango Sierra.

Reactions: Cybercock
Every COVID death is a tragedy and if you are personally impacted devastating. All professions have suffered deaths. Alabama Education Association, in the article, have lost 30 teachers to COVID but they have over 85,000 members. That is 0.03%. The American Federation of Teachers, the largest teachers union with over 1.7M members, has noted 707 teacher deaths In one of the other articles. That is 0.04%. America, in general, has a mortality rate of 2%.

I don’t mention the statistics to trivialize any death. I work in healthcare - I know the impact. One hospital I support lost over 20 nurses (ONE hospital) - many more became ill and recovered.

I just note the most vulnerable should be prioritized based on science and statistics until we can open it to everyone, which can’t come soon enough.
Just something else to consider on this. Richland 2 has about 50 open teaching jobs posted right now. So you have a job that they can’t fill because for all of the talk about how important school is we’ve hit a point where Amazon’s pay is competitive with first year teaching jobs. Plus to make that low pay even better we’ll underfund the schools so you have to buy work supplies out of that salary as well. So why not increase the shortage of qualified people we have for these jobs by putting them in a position to create some more vacancies when there is an option to protect them a little more if they so chose.

Praying for a speedy recovery for Your sister. That’s the most important thing that needs to be said in this thread.

A vaccine is an injection of an active or inactive virus or germ that allows the body to build antibodies. The Covid shot is an injection of mRNA material that essentially sends a message to your body’s cells in hopes that the cellular message is understood. Read a book before you call someone wrong. I don’t suggest anything — I don’t G-A-S whether people take an injection of anything or not. I just know that I won’t be taking one. If that bothers anyone, well that’s Tango Sierra.
It does not bother me a bit that you choose not to take it. But you are wrong in saying it is not a vaccine. The definition of a vaccine is "a substance used to stimulate the production of antibodies and provide immunity against one or several diseases, prepared from the causative agent of a disease, its products, or a synthetic substitute, treated to act as an antigen without inducing the disease. " The Covid vaccine certainly is that. Also even in your narrow "definition" the Johnson and Johnson vaccine is not mRNA. It is a viral vector vaccine made from an inactivated adenovirus and some covid virus dna. Even the mRNA material used in the other vaccines is based on the covid virus.

Have you never had a vaccine before? It sounds as if you haven’t which I don’t believe. I know there is a lot of distrust in all of this because of how politicized this whole thing has been. However vaccines are important. This comes from someone who’s Mom had polio when she was young and doesn’t wish it on anyone and that vaccine has saved millions. This vaccine will help and let’s not say it won’t. Each to his own and I respect that but let’s not politicize all of this anymore. It’s not helping anyone or anything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT