ADVERTISEMENT

QB Dakereon Joyner

lawcalcock

Apr 8, 2016
Kereon cancelled his visit to Bama and says he is done with visits until his Fathers Day announcement...From all available info it a USC vs NCSt battle

Reactions: Gradstudent
Would be nice to get him but don't count out NC State. They are selling him that they can get him to the NFL. They have 3-4 QBs in the NFL. They still claim Russell Wilson even tho he transferred.

Wilson had already graduated so he was free to transfer for his final year, in addition he and Tom O'brien (HC) did not see eye to eye on him playing baseball.

He had a stellar carrier at NCSU, so it's no wonder they claim him

Reactions: USCLaw85
Phillip Rivers, Jacoby Brissett, Russel Wilson, Mike Glennon, missing any?

If NC State still claims Wilson can Muschamp claim Brissett (LOL)

Reactions: coolcock2001
Who was the last recruit down to NC State and USC? Doesn't seem like a common battle we have.

I remember a tight end out of Irmo, Joe Gray? That picked them because of their bed sizes during the Holtz era

Kereon cancelled his visit to Bama and says he is done with visits until his Fathers Day announcement...From all available info it a USC vs NCSt battle
I think we have him solidly in our corner. Unless he has some burning desire to go out of state, he is ours to lose, imho.

Kereon is a must. Even more so than xt bc of the effect that a qb can have. If ncsu comes into our backyard and steals him then that would be bad news. This staff needs to close.

Kereon is a must. Even more so than xt bc of the effect that a qb can have. If ncsu comes into our backyard and steals him then that would be bad news. This staff needs to close.

I get your point...Certainly hope he decides to lead our program as a stud QB...But there is no such thing as a "must have" recruit...What we must do is evaluate and develop well enough for the players we recruit to play winning football..I don't recall Connor Shaw being a "must have" recruit

Would be nice to get him but don't count out NC State. They are selling him that they can get him to the NFL. They have 3-4 QBs in the NFL. They still claim Russell Wilson even tho he transferred.

Claim? He played two sports and graduated from NC State.

Claim? He played two sports and graduated from NC State.

the point the poster was making is your HBC run him off at the time to start Glennon at QB...Wilson was not looking to transfer..Your HBC benched him and ran him off...It was his pocket passing at Wisconsin that set NFL scouts buzzing...This is irrefutable fact

the point the poster was making is your HBC run him off at the time to start Glennon at QB...Wilson was not looking to transfer..Your HBC benched him and ran him off...It was his pocket passing at Wisconsin that set NFL scouts buzzing...This is irrefutable fact

Russell walked with the seniors the year before and then decided to play pro baseball. When he couldn't hit a curve ball he decided to play football again. TOB didn't run him off, just told him he'd have to win his job back. He also knew if he let Russell go a third year without participating in spring ball it would send the wrong message to his team. He ultimately chose two years of Mike Glennon instead of one more year of Wilson. And the idea that his one year at Wisconsin is what paved his way to the NFL is dumb. Name me one Badger QB in the league in the past 25 years. NC state currently has 4, including three that are starters.

Russell walked with the seniors the year before and then decided to play pro baseball. When he couldn't hit a curve ball he decided to play football again. TOB didn't run him off, just told him he'd have to win his job back. He also knew if he let Russell go a third year without participating in spring ball it would send the wrong message to his team. He ultimately chose two years of Mike Glennon instead of one more year of Wilson. And the idea that his one year at Wisconsin is what paved his way to the NFL is dumb. Name me one Badger QB in the league in the past 25 years. NC state currently has 4, including three that are starters.

straight from the Wolfpack propaganda machine...i am not buying it...i remember the scenario quite well...Uh Duh..Russell Wilson is a Wisconsin QB with a Super Bowl Ring

This I know. His high school coaching staff has deep ties to NC State. Head coach's son (and I think daughter) went there on athletic schollie's and the offensive coordinator was an O Lineman that played in the pros some (Ian Rafferty). Fort Dorchester likes to feed NC State when they can. Don't count them out on this one.

Reactions: GamecockJL
What does that have to do with anything?...that coaching staff is gone

straight from the Wolfpack propaganda machine...i am not buying it...i remember the scenario quite well...Uh Duh..Russell Wilson is a Wisconsin QB with a Super Bowl Ring

Sorry law..........but I gotta back the NCSU guy on this one. If you graduate from my school, I'm going to claim you.

Now, with that said, I was at the game when Todd Ellis was our QB in Raleigh for the biggest screw job ever administered in college football. It was worse than the Garner push off in taterville that year. So I hate them.......but Wilson is theirs.

Sorry law..........but I gotta back the NCSU guy on this one. If you graduate from my school, I'm going to claim you.

Now, with that said, I was at the game when Todd Ellis was our QB in Raleigh for the biggest screw job ever administered in college football. It was worse than the Garner push off in taterville that year. So I hate them.......but Wilson is theirs.

Back whoever you want...But Wilson's 1 great year at Wisconsin is what enhanced his stock for NFL scouts...About that there is no doubt..It's a known fact the NCSt HBC wanted to replace him with Mike Glennon his senior year..That's why Russell left...Buy all the Wolfpack propaganda you like..When introduced at NFL games it's "Russell Wilson QB from Wisconsin"

Back whoever you want...But Wilson's 1 great year at Wisconsin is what enhanced his stock for NFL scouts...About that there is no doubt..It's a known fact the NCSt HBC wanted to replace him with Mike Glennon his senior year..That's why Russell left...Buy all the Wolfpack propaganda you like..When introduced at NFL games it's "Russell Wilson QB from Wisconsin"

It's not even worth wasting keystrokes over. Your point is valid, cause I didn't know or care about Russell Wilson or how he left State...... so your Wisconsin pocket passing theory makes sense. I don't really care about NCSU or Wilson.....just an opinion on if you graduate from a school it's pretty common the fans claim you as one of their own.

Reactions: IrmoRed

This I know. His high school coaching staff has deep ties to NC State. Head coach's son (and I think daughter) went there on athletic schollie's and the offensive coordinator was an O Lineman that played in the pros some (Ian Rafferty). Fort Dorchester likes to feed NC State when they can. Don't count them out on this one.
You beat me to it there are 2 coaches from ft.d.that played for nc.state

Wilson didn't do much against us.

Wasn't it like the first game of his freshman year?

Wilson was a true freshman. Suffered a concussion in the first half. The Gamecock D was good that year.

I think this was Tommy Beecher's only start. He played terribly and threw four interceptions before he was yanked with the score deadlocked at 0-0 in the second quarter. It was a close game until Wilson was knocked out and Beecher was yanked. Then, NC State made a bunch of turnovers and Smelley led the team to a few scores. Final was 38-0 if memory serves.

the fact is Joyner is exactly what Roper needs in his offense.... great at passing and running.... he would probably end up being one of the best to ever wear a Gamecock uniform. If he comes to Carolina it will be our best chance ever to win the SEC.... just my opinion. We need him here.

Reactions: USCLaw85
Joyner is as much a symbol for recruiting than anything else at this point. I think he could be a difference maker at QB, but in my mind, it is secondary to show that Muschamp can recruit a specific type of player right now in the state. He put so much effort into the idea of winning with local guys last year to combat Clemson's cherry picking of local talent that many have taken it as the mantra of the team.

2018 was to be THE BIG YEAR for recruiting. XT, Belk, Joyner all in state and heavy leans. Muschamp has a strangle on the state is all I heard. XT, Belk, Kendrick are off the board because Clemson wanted them. Clemson has every guy that they wanted in state. If Joyner leaves the state, the mantra is sitting pretty empty. He is a MUST get for this staff.

I think he will be a Gamecock, but Carolina is in a bad spot if he goes to State, losing a lot of face about just how attractive Muschamp can make this program to recruits in South Carolina in the coming cycles

Think he ends up in Columbia. Everything I've heard makes it seem like he's ours to lose.

Would be a huge pickup. Conversely, losing out on him to NC State would be a blow

Didn't Wilson break or injure his leg against us while playing at NCSTATE.

Grade III Concussion was 1/5 passing for 12 yards, NC State site article, cut and paste is rough

3-0 at Halftime LOL

SOUTH CAROLINA TOPPLES PACK IN FB OPENER, 34-0

BY TIM PEELER

COLUMBIA, S.C.
For most of the first three quarters of Thursday night’s season-opening 34-0 loss to South Carolina, NC State head coach Tom O’Brien liked what he saw from his young defense.

But there was little to praise about the Wolfpack offense, especially after redshirt freshman Russell Wilson was knocked out of the game following a scary hit late in the second quarter and had to be carted off the field on a stretcher.

Wilson, making his first career start, suffered a Grade III concussion and was taken for observation to Richlands Memorial Hospital, where he stayed overnight.

South Carolina also lost its starting quarterback, Tommy Beecher, to a head injury, but the difference in the game was that Gamecock reserve Chris Smelley came off the bench and led his team to three fourth-quarter touchdowns to open up what had been a close game.

The loss ended State's five-game winning streak over the Gamecocks that dated back to 1989 and evened the all-time series record at 26-26-4. Combined with a 37-0 loss to Maryland at the end of last season, it was the second consecutive shutout loss for the Wolfpack, something that hasn’t happened since 1956. It was also the first shutout to open a season since 1955.

Both teams struggled offensively early in the game, committing four turnovers each. But South Carolina took better advantage of the Wolfpack miscues, scoring 10 points at the end of the first half and the beginning of the second half following Wolfpack turnovers deep in its own territory.

The first came on an errant shotgun snap from Wolfpack converted defensive lineman Teddy Larsen to redshirt senior quarterback Daniel Evans, who took over the offense in Wilson’s absence.

The Wolfpack (0-1) got the ball to start the second half, but on the second play, Gamecock defensive back Carlos Thomas intercepted an Evans pass at the 19 and returned the ball inside the 10-yard line. On fourth down, Mike Davis went one yard for the game’s first touchdown.

“The game was fine until the last series when we fumbled the ball before the half and then the first series of the second half,” O’Brien said. “We kind of let the game get away from us. We just ran out of gas on defense at the end. A lot of the rest of our problems had to do with the ineptness of our offense.”

The Wolfpack had just 138 yards in total offense, much of which came from senior tailback Andre Brown, who notched his sixth career game of 100 or more rushing yards. Brown, starting in place of injured junior Jamelle Eugene, had 101 yards on 21 carries to move into 11th place on the NC State career rushing list with 1,873 yards.

We missed Jamelle Eugene, but everybody was talking about Andre Brown like he was chopped liver,” O’Brien said. “I thought we rushed the ball well all night. Andre had over 100 yards and Curtis Underwood got some yards at the end of the game.”

The Wolfpack defense made Beecher’s debut unmemorable, picking off three of his passes before halftime and four overall. Redshirt safety Jimmaul Simmons, on his first career snap, intercepted a Beecher pass to end South Carolina’s first possession.

“We held them for a while, but we didn’t hold them long enough,” Simmons said. “We still have some work to do. This was a game to show what we had on defense. We just need to get more effort from the whole team.”

Linebacker Nate Irving made a one-handed interception deep in NC State territory to end a potential scoring drive after Brown fumbled the ball away on State’s third possession.

And redshirt freshman Justin Byers intercepted Beecher in the second quarter, setting up the Wolfpack’s best offensive drive of the first half until Wilson tried to run the ball on a quarterback keeper. South Carolina’s Jordin Lindsey hit Wilson initially, but then the quarterback hit his head on defensive end Cliff Matthews’ right knee, knocking him unconscious.

Wilson stayed on the turf for 10 minutes and was immobilized on a stretcher. He was taken of the field on a cart with 4:09 remaining in the first half. Wilson gave a thumbs-up sign from the stretcher as he left the field and was diagnosed by team doctors with a concussion.

“You see a teammate that you practice with and lift weights with and do everything with down on the field like that and it is really hard to watch,” Evans said. “But the hangover from that was not why we lost. Other than losing a great player, I don’t think there was an emotional hangover.”

Evans took over the offense, advancing to the South Carolina 32-yard line. On fourth down, sophomore placekicker Josh Czajkowski missed a 49-yard field goal attempt on the Wolfpack’s first scoring opportunity of the season.

After South Carolina’s touchdown, the Wolfpack defense again created problems for Beecher. Midway through the third quarter, sophomore cornerback DeAndre Morgan became the fourth Wolfpack player to get his first career interception, picking off a Beecher pass in the end zone.

Succop added to the Gamecock lead with 1:15 remaining in the third quarter, making a 46-yard field goal.

Phillip Rivers, Jacoby Brissett, Russel Wilson, Mike Glennon, missing any?

If NC State still claims Wilson can Muschamp claim Brissett (LOL)

Does Roman Gabriel strike a note?

There were other very good QB's at NCS that were not as well known. Why would NCS not claim Wilson?

No, Roman Gabriel is not still in the NFL, my response was for current NFL QB's, LOL

Would be a bad omen if kereon goes to Raleigh. He is in our backyard and needed badly. More important than xt bc of his position and proximity to Columbia in my opinion. Not going head to head with bama. Its ncsu. Cannot lose that.

Reactions: IrmoRed
Pack grad here

State fans argue about RW and the circumstances of his leaving to this day

O'Brien had moved on to Glennon when RW went pro baseball. He then changed his mind and wanted to come back

Here's where the stories diverge. RW says O'Brien wouldn't let him come back, even when RW said he'd fight for the starting job against Glennon. O'Brien disputes that. This could only happen at State. It's known among us as NC State Sh!t. He's one of us, but we have to share him which sucks

He did walk with the seniors on senior day his third year against Wake

At any rate, watch RW when he's introduced during games. He always says "from a whole Pack of Badgers" acknowledging both schools

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT