ADVERTISEMENT

QOTD: What is the only major city in the world located on two continents?

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
Without going to google or some other search engine and cheating.

Don't let a tater or dawgie get this one first🤣

What is the definition of "major city"? The seaport city of Suez, with an estimated population of 744, 000, sits on the border between Asia and Africa. Magnitogorsk, Russia is an industrial town, divided by the Ural River, with the iron and steel plants mostly located on the Asian side, and the residential areas located on the European side. Orenburg is another transcontinental city in Russia located in Europe and Asia. Today the city has an estimated population of 534, 000 people, and hosts industrial factories, gas-processing facilities, engineering industries, and teaching institutes. The entryway to Kazakhstan’s largest oil field, Atyrau straddles the European/Asian border, the city is home to approximately 235,300 residents. So I guess "major city" is relative.

Reactions: McFrush
What is the definition of "major city"? The seaport city of Suez, with an estimated population of 744, 000, sits on the border between Asia and Africa. Magnitogorsk, Russia is an industrial town, divided by the Ural River, with the iron and steel plants mostly located on the Asian side, and the residential areas located on the European side. Orenburg is another transcontinental city in Russia located in Europe and Asia. Today the city has an estimated population of 534, 000 people, and hosts industrial factories, gas-processing facilities, engineering industries, and teaching institutes. The entryway to Kazakhstan’s largest oil field, Atyrau straddles the European/Asian border, the city is home to approximately 235,300 residents. So I guess "major city" is relative.
Nobody likes a knowitall. 😁

(Very interesting information though.)

Istanbul has a population of over 15M and been around since the dawn of man. That is pretty relative in my mind 😆

Istanbul, Turkey as other have stated. Was able visit there three times when I was in the AF and stationed at Incirlik AB in the early 80s.

a truly amazing place with so so much history.

My stepdad was there as well in the AF in 84-86. I would assume at the same base but not positive.

Yeah, but is 3/4ths of a million not major?

Depends I suppose, but major on the world stage?

One way to look at it, would it be considered for the olympics.

I would also look at tourism to that city. Vegas and Miami seem to be, but the cities you listed I wouldn’t really think so. Charlotte is bigger than all of these and I don’t consider it to major yet. Maybe I’m wrong.

Depends I suppose, but major on the world stage?

One way to look at it, would it be considered for the olympics.

I would also look at tourism to that city. Vegas and Miami seem to be, but the cities you listed I wouldn’t really think so. Charlotte is bigger than all of these and I don’t consider it to major yet. Maybe I’m wrong.
Well Helsinki hosted the summer Olympics and it had 381,000 in population, about half of Suez. I think the more pertinent reason my named cities would never be picked is more because they are dirt poor, and could never afford the expenses of building even basic facilities. So money may be a bigger factor than anything else.

Nailed it, now be honest, did you already know this, or did you look it up?
Istanbul (the old Constantinople)....gateway bridge between Europe and Asia, though technically Europe isn't a geographical continent. it is only considered separate from Asia for cultural and political identities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT