ADVERTISEMENT

Question about 49ers & Gamecock connection

Gamecockben1979

Jun 5, 2017
I am curious if anyone on here can explain how some teams seem to draft a lot of guys from one school.

For instance, the 49ers have drafted a lot of Gamecocks in recent years like Lattimore, Kinlaw, Samuel and Ellington are just a few that come to mind. I think Dylan Thompson was even drafted by the 49ers.

I certainly get why the Falcons and Panthers might draft more Gamecocks given their location and relative ease to scout our guys. But how did the Gamecocks become a pipeline for San Fran?

I am curious if anyone on here can explain how some teams seem to draft a lot of guys from one school.

For instance, the 49ers have drafted a lot of Gamecocks in recent years like Lattimore, Kinlaw, Samuel and Ellington are just a few that come to mind. I think Dylan Thompson was even drafted by the 49ers.

I certainly get why the Falcons and Panthers might draft more Gamecocks given their location and relative ease to scout our guys. But how did the Gamecocks become a pipeline for San Fran?

Well, the GM played for Stanford University and when he gives the orders to draft players from USC, his people hop to it..

Last edited:
I doubt that NFL teams care one bit about a player's college team. They are looking for the best player to fill their position needs regardless of college. The NFL is a cut throat business and college loyalties play no part unless maybe if the owner wants someone from his college.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I to was interested in this and posted a thread below about the 49ers and the Gamecocks in May 2020. At 6:53 of his interview with Collin Cowher, GM John Lynch, talks about his comfortability with Will Muschamp after getting to know him through the process in drafting Deebo Samuel and how it helped them again takes his word on Kinlaw to make him their first round pick.

https://southcarolina.forums.rivals...champ-as-a-reason-for-drafting-kinlaw.330247/

I doubt that NFL teams care one bit about a player's college team. They are looking for the best player to fill their position needs regardless of college. The NFL is a cut throat business and college loyalties play no part unless maybe if the owner wants someone from his college.
I actually think they do. It is well known some NFL coaches are more comfortable with certain college coaches systems. Lots of stories about the comfortability between Bellichick and Saban.

I actually think they do. It is well known some NFL coaches are more comfortable with certain college coaches systems. Lots of stories about the comfortability between Bellichick and Saban.
Yep, Bellichick on Saban is another example

“Coach Saban’s always very helpful in his evaluations. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Nick professionally, but also personally, and so we have always had great conversations about his experiences with the players and he does a good job of projecting what they would be like on this level because he’s been on this level and knows the differences and knows the demands that are different from what they are at Alabama,” he said.

the Patriots have added 13 of Saban’s former players since the year 2000:

• Alabama (8): DT Brandon Deaderick (2010), LB Dont’a Hightower (2012), LB Xzavier Dickson (2015), CB Cyrus Jones (2016), RB Damien Harris (2019), LB Anfernee Jennings (2020), QB Mac Jones (2021), DT Christian Barmore (2021)
  • LSU (3): DE Jarvis Green (2002), QB Rohan Davey (2002), DE Marqise Hill (2004)
  • Michigan State (2): G Greg Randall (2000), LB T.J. Turner (2002)

Sometimes NFL Coaching staffs have coaches with college backgrounds, and they lean on that familiarity with players that they have followed since High School. Jimmy Johnson drafted alot of Miami guys and guys he recruited at Miami and did not get when he got the Cowboys for another example.

Last edited:

Could say appreciate the SOS coaching approach. Eye for talent?……...more than anything…….. luck of the draw in draft.

The 49ers head of college scouting wife and family live in Spartanburg. He visits them and has exposure to our program.
See now this starts to make sense. Someone in the ranks that comes to the area regularly. I know people chalk it up to luck and coincidence but I think it’s a little deeper than that. I don’t see a ton of Arizona State guys on the Panthers roster.

Thanks for the info!

Reactions: westnccock

The current owner of the 49ers had some sort of relationship with Spurrier, I think. He was behind the drafting of Ellington and Lattimore.

I did some digging and it appears the former GM of the 49ers, Trent Baalke, started the Gamecock pipeline, but he was later fired by the current CEO Jed York. https://www.espn.com/blog/san-franc.../whats-trent-baalkes-deal-with-south-carolina

The current GM seems to be pretty high on Deebo though.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT