ADVERTISEMENT

Question. About staying or leaving a job..

jeff2001

Apr 5, 2003
If you started a job and just a couple of days later another job you applied for called and offered you their job for more money.
Would you feel obligated to stay at the new job for less money
Or quit after less than a week to go to the other job for more money.

Reactions: uscwatson21
If you started a job and just a couple of days later another job you applied for called and offered you their job for more money.
It depends on how I felt about the job I had just started. It also depends on where the new offer is (do I think it's a better place to live? does it offer more in terms of success or career advancement?). Finally, it depends on how much the new job is paying.

It depends on how I felt about the job I had just started. It also depends on where the new offer is (do I think it's a better place to live? does it offer more in terms of success or career advancement?). Finally, it depends on how much the new job is paying.
Not often I agree with a Dawg but in this case I do. I would give the original employer the opportunity to match the offer and if they chose not to, I would definitely give them a 2 weeks notice. (And a very sincere thank you, and apology.)

Actually happened to me. Interviewed and got a position with current company. Within 2 weeks 2 others reached out to me to offer me a position. Said sorry, already accepted a position. No further conversation required.

Depends on the salary increase and other perks. It’s interesting that everyone’s ire is aimed at the coaches leaving and not at the university who was either unwilling or unable to match a more competitive compensation package. Bobo, Friend, and Rocker were obviously first choice, since they were just hired. This is the first time in recent memory that it seems Carolina can’t compete financially in the SEC marketplace.

That very situation happened to me several years back. I accepted a job that was offered first and two days later another offered with about 25% higher pay. I took the one I accepted first and still there 8 yrs later doing well. Doing the right thing works out better in the long run.

Depends on the job. Depends on the stability of the company. I can make less and work longer or I can make more for a couple years and be out of a job all together because the staff got canned.

Reactions: okccock and Dizzy01
If I was making $250K and been on the job 1 hour and someone called and offered me $500K with roughly the same responsibilities but better tools to work with, I’d be hard pressed to turn it down as would most people regardless of what holier than thou reply they give.....
This x 1000. Anyone saying otherwise is straight up lying unless they come from old money.

Depends on a lot of factors. Money isnt everything, but how much more money are we talking about? Where are the jobs: is one of them in one of your dream locations? Is this a j.o.b., or is this your chosen field where you expect to accomplish your career goals/dreams? If so, is one of these your "dream employer?" And ,if so, is your decision one that is likely to shape your reputation within the field?

I agree, the money is a big part. I’d also say that holdovers from Muschamp would probably never feel like they were Beamer’s guy.

See the Bobo situation, it’s clear that some of these holdovers were only kept for financial reasons.

Another consideration, companies would probably prefer you leave sooner than later, so they can invest in / train employees who stay longer.

Not sure how relevant this is for sports coaches. It's much more relevant for employees with special skill sets, i.e. specific to the product/company, as opposed to transferrable skills.

Reactions: bchav307
I personally would leave and take the more money job. I have to think of my family 1st.
Why, not leave, it seems that is what a lot of our coaches are doing regardless of their word. People's word is nothing today in the current business world and if you do jump you will be given a pass. Just say I did what was best for me and my family and screw my word, it means nothing anyway. Blame it on your recruiter or the guy that hired you.

Kids coming out of USC Business School right now are being taught that if you don’t get a promotion within 10-12 months of starting a job, you should jump to a new company.

It seems to me that if another employer values me more than my current employer by a large margin then its my current employer pushing me out by not matching. Why stay somewhere where you aren't appreciated?

Kids coming out of USC Business School right now are being taught that if you don’t get a promotion within 10-12 months of starting a job, you should jump to a new company.
I can't help but think that that kind of rationale is not going to be beneficial down the road. But I come from a generation where it wasn't necessarily the thing to do to job hop.

As a person who hired and fired hundreds of people I would never recommend that you give your employer an opportunity to match the new job offer. In ALL companies I worked for, that was an immediate reason to fire you. We also would rather terminate your employment now than have you work during the next two weeks — knowing you don’t have our interests behind your work efforts. Knowing that, I recommend you just quit now and start your new job now.

As a person who hired and fired hundreds of people I would never recommend that you give your employer an opportunity to match the new job offer. In ALL companies I worked for, that was an immediate reason to fire you. We also would rather terminate your employment now than have you work during the next two weeks — knowing you don’t have our interests behind your work efforts. Knowing that, I recommend you just quit now and start your new job now.

So even if the person is your best employee and comes to you and says they really want to continue working for you but a competitor has offered them more money and gives you a chance to match the offer, you’d fire them?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Not often I agree with a Dawg but in this case I do. I would give the original employer the opportunity to match the offer and if they chose not to, I would definitely give them a 2 weeks notice. (And a very sincere thank you, and apology.)
Same.....no doubt.

I can't help but think that that kind of rationale is not going to be beneficial down the road. But I come from a generation where it wasn't necessarily the thing to do to job hop.
You also probably came from a generation that didn't have temp agencies and companies actually cared about their employees and had pensions and other things. They no longer do. They don't give 2 craps about their employees anymore.

There are so many factors in this. How much money are you talking? If it’s 5% then I’m probably going to say no thanks I got another offer first. If it’s 50% then I’m talking to the new employer about potentially leaving and if it’s 100% then I’m probably making the call just to tender the resignation.

The other thing to consider is long term potential. Are you jumping for a quick 20% increase to be canned in 2 years then find yourself 20% below where you were three years ago. Are you going somewhere that you’re locked into a salary slot with no advancement options versus a place with tremendous opportunity for more money two years later despite less money now? Do you need 2 years to retirement versus 20?

There is no easy or right/wrong answer for this one other than how you choose to handle it with the employers. If you sneak out in the middle of the night without telling anyone you are leaving then you’re wrong regardless.

You also probably came from a generation that didn't have temp agencies and companies actually cared about their employees and had pensions and other things. They no longer do. They don't give 2 craps about their employees anymore.

Hence the firing for giving your employer an opportunity to match a competing job offer salary....... If the company doesn’t attempt to match salaries, they obviously either don’t think you’re worth it, can’t match it financially, or don’t care about their employees to even try.

that is sad.

The initial employer wants you to go immediately. Why?

1. If you alerted them to this, they are questioning how you remain focused and satisfied if you remain. (See #2 Few to no......)

2. If you did not alert them, don't. Few to no employers are going to match a salary after just negotiating and satisfying everyone's requirements.

3. Go now, they can still source the existing search materials.

4. In my days we didn't automatically fire you for having a competitive offer, particularly if you had been around awhile and were very good. But in this scenario, as Hannenkampf noted, bye bye. And no two weeks, out the door now.

5. The new employee, from their perspective, just needs to make a call. The worst decision is to tell them unless you are going. Then, just go. They will call the second candidate before you turn in that shiny new badge.

The initial employer wants you to go immediately. Why?

1. If you alerted them to this, they are questioning how you remain focused and satisfied.

2. If you did not alert them, don't. Few to no employers are going to match a salary after just negotiating and satisfying everyone's requirements.

3. Go now, they can still source the existing search materials.

4. In my days we didn't automatically fire you for having a competitive offer, particularly if you had been around awhile and were very good. But in this scenario, as Hannenkampf noted, bye bye. And no two weeks, out the door now.

5. The new employee, from their perspective, just needs to make a call. The worst decision is to tell them unless you are going. Then, just go. They will call the second candidate before you turn in that shiny new badge.

I was thinking of it as he was saying even if it was a tenured employee, he would immediately terminate you. If that is the case, his excuse was that the employee didn’t care about the company. If the company would immediately fire a tenured employee, they obviously don’t care about the employee. How can a company that doesn’t care about their employees expect said employees to care about the company?

There's much more than money that makes a job good or tolerable.
💯 % true, good culture eats strategy for lunch.
too many companies use the wrong factors to guide and manage even before ego weighs in. I’ve had 3 jobs in 17 years and each time I have moved is in favor of a better culture & while the money improved it’s not at the dramatic level or where I feel I’m getting bought or sold a bill of goods. Increasing performance and results in an ethical way yields to a much healthier sales funnel.

Reactions: Cybercock
I was thinking of it as he was saying even if it was a tenured employee, he would immediately terminate you. If that is the case, his excuse was that the employee didn’t care about the company. If the company would immediately fire a tenured employee, they obviously don’t care about the employee. How can a company that doesn’t care about their employees expect said employees to care about the company?

They are different situations, I think I noted that. Tenured employees certainly get job offers all the time. That's particularly true if they are good. Those you can counter, and might. A two weeker.....no way.

Reactions: bchav307
💯 % true, good culture eats strategy for lunch.
too many companies use the wrong factors to guide and manage even before ego weighs in. I’ve had 3 jobs in 17 years and each time I have moved is in favor of a better culture & while the money improved it’s not at the dramatic level or where I feel I’m getting bought or sold a bill of goods. Increasing performance and results in an ethical way yields to a much healthier sales funnel.
Where were you when I was hiring? Employee of the month!!!!

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Some of the top career experts have said exactly what you are saying.

Actually happened to me. Interviewed and got a position with current company. Within 2 weeks 2 others reached out to me to offer me a position. Said sorry, already accepted a position. No further conversation required.

this is the answer.

However, i recognize that coaching is different. Your employment lives and dies with the overall results and not your own. As the program goes, so does your future.

Friend didn't leave TN b/c he loves Bobo, he left because there was blood in the water for Pruitt and SC had already hit the reset button. Most coaches don't make it with the new guy unless they have ties to the school or a long history to the program. He is moving b/c Auburn is a better situation than SoCar. right now. Obviously the money helps make it more palatable, but it is what it is.

it's not if you leave (for more money, whatever, I can't hold that against anyone), it's HOW you leave.

This is correct and spoken from a person of experience in these matters. I was being sarcastic in a previous post, but this is exactly what I would tell you after 45 years in business.

Exactly- too many things to take into account... I mean I think the bast majority of us would leave for a substantial raise to go to similar circumstances... but what if the “other job” was way more work/ responsibility and only a little more money? For me- I am a financial advisor. I could double my income if I moved somewhere like Florida, but my coat of living goes up too and I own multiple houses in Columbia, I have a daughter here with my X wife... I would not leave for TRIPLE the income right now! 10 years from now when the daughter is grown I could pocket 6 figures from selling the houses... Hell yeah I would bolt in a second!

This depends on who offered you the job. If it is a long time family friend, I would hang on. If it is a major corporation, or a large family owned business, don't feel badly at all cutting ties. I can assure you they will do the same if business turns bad. Look at it this way, you have a business to support (your home, your future, and possibly a family). Support it with as much money as you can make at any given time and continue looking for more. You'll be better off for it some day.

Reactions: Captain Weegie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT