ADVERTISEMENT

Question about WBB new premium seating

GarnetGhost

Apr 22, 2014
Full disclosure: I also posted this on TIF. So for next season WBB will have 2 new levels of premium seating requiring either $200 or $400 per seat extra donation on top on the $70 season ticket price. Some fans presently holding those seats may not be able to afford or may just be unwilling to pay the premium. My question is if fans presently in those new premium seats decide to give them up how will they be assigned new seats. Will they get next best available or will they just go in the pool of fans wanting toupgrade which would be based on giving leveland points? Anyone with some insight?

Full disclosure: I also posted this on TIF. So for next season WBB will have 2 new levels of premium seating requiring either $200 or $400 per seat extra donation on top on the $70 season ticket price. Some fans presently holding those seats may not be able to afford or may just be unwilling to pay the premium. My question is if fans presently in those new premium seats decide to give them up how will they be assigned new seats. Will they get next best available or will they just go in the pool of fans wanting toupgrade which would be based on giving leveland points? Anyone with some insight?

I'd recommend emailing the ticket office.

I'm in one of the seats that will require the $200 seat donation; I thought about it for a few minutes and decided I'd keep my seat. I'm sure some will move, but not too many. Of those that move, I'm sure the replacements will be based on GCC points.

I don't have a dog in the hunt, attending only scattered games. But it seems to me that they might find the attendance softer than they think once the cost of attendance rises. Just a guess. I hate to see them gig the fans just because they think they can. But again, it won't affect me.

You might can get by with that in football, or even men's basketball with a big time program that sells out every home game. But in women's basketball? Maybe UT could have done it at one time. UConn maybe. Unless Dawn strings together a few NC's I just don't see it being a very smart move

Reactions: 67gamecock
I don't have a dog in the hunt, attending only scattered games. But it seems to me that they might find the attendance softer than they think once the cost of attendance rises. Just a guess. I hate to see them gig the fans just because they think they can. But again, it won't affect me.
The tickets have been under priced for several years so the raise is not unexpected.

AD Tanner vowed after the first final four that we would not raise ticket prices to an extent that it would exclude the new fan base that Dawn had attracted. Some form of Preference was given to season ticket holders that put them on par with gamecock club members.

My hunch is a significant number of donors tried to join the band wagon and got seats they were less than pleased with. My guess is that those priced out will still get season tickets just further away and that the open seats will be grabbed up by bandwagon gamecock club members. My prediction is we have larger ticket sales and paradoxically less butts in the seats.

The tickets have been under priced for several years so the raise is not unexpected...
They might have been priced low. They weren't under-priced if the way they were priced was for a reason - such as promoting higher attendance. You're right, though, there will probably be fewer people there.

They might have been priced low. They weren't under-priced if the way they were priced was for a reason - such as promoting higher attendance. You're right, though, there will probably be fewer people there.
Five years ago season tickets were 25$ and parking was free( city and university just happy to have people downtown) So my investment was 50$. Please understand I am not complaining, still got my tickets!! Just noting what success does for a program.
Now
$140 tickets
$400 premium
$160 parking

Total $700

Five years ago season tickets were 25$ and parking was free( city and university just happy to have people downtown) So my investment was 50$. Please understand I am not complaining, still got my tickets!! Just noting what success does for a program.
Now
$140 tickets
$400 premium
$160 parking

Total $700
That seems pretty stout to me, even though our WBB team is very good.

Is there an option to pay thousands and spend the entire time getting hammered in a suite not watching the game?

Now
$140 tickets
$400 premium
$160 parking

Total $700

Well look at bright side they will be paying us to go to baseball games soon

The tickets have been under priced for several years so the raise is not unexpected.

AD Tanner vowed after the first final four that we would not raise ticket prices to an extent that it would exclude the new fan base that Dawn had attracted. Some form of Preference was given to season ticket holders that put them on par with gamecock club members.

My hunch is a significant number of donors tried to join the band wagon and got seats they were less than pleased with. My guess is that those priced out will still get season tickets just further away and that the open seats will be grabbed up by bandwagon gamecock club members. My prediction is we have larger ticket sales and paradoxically less butts in the seats.

I thought making the lower bowl all reserved seats was a bad idea two years ago. People came early and lined up to get the end zone seats and others that were not reserved.

This past season the lower bowl was reported to be sold out, BUT, there were a lot of games where the general admission tickets could be traded inside the arena for "reserved" lower bowl seats.

How can that happen if the lower bowl reserved seats were sold out??

And then in the first quarter, upper deck seats were invited to "come on down" and fill in where there were empty seats.

Hopefully no one will complain too much about this. It sucks for people that get moved but we should all be glad because this is the type of thing that comes along with winning. I remember after we won the baseball titles they changed the amount of free tickets faculty/staff could get and some people moaned and complained. Um, you like those trophies sitting out front right?

Is there an option to pay thousands and spend the entire time getting hammered in a suite not watching the game?

Here you go from the new playbook

VIP Club
Men’s Basketball: $750 (per pass)
Women’s Basketball: $400 (per pass)
The VIP Club is located on the concourse level of Colonial Life Arena. The suite features a lounge area with inclusive snacks and refreshments, as well as a cash bar. Club passes are available for purchase to Gamecock Club members with season tickets. Season passes are assigned
by Gamecock Club priority and are not renewable.

You might can get by with that in football, or even men's basketball with a big time program that sells out every home game. But in women's basketball? Maybe UT could have done it at one time. UConn maybe. Unless Dawn strings together a few NC's I just don't see it being a very smart move

Imo, it's premature and excessive. A small fee, perhaps $50 and $100 for the two tiers, would be more appropriate, again, imo - I don't have a dog in this fight. Go 'Cocks!

Last edited:
That seems pretty stout to me, even though our WBB team is very good.

They don't have to pay that much for tickets and they don't have to pay for parking; they choose to have expensive seats and a short walk to the arena. I park on the street for free and walk a few blocks.

I thought making the lower bowl all reserved seats was a bad idea two years ago. People came early and lined up to get the end zone seats and others that were not reserved.

This past season the lower bowl was reported to be sold out, BUT, there were a lot of games where the general admission tickets could be traded inside the arena for "reserved" lower bowl seats.

How can that happen if the lower bowl reserved seats were sold out??

And then in the first quarter, upper deck seats were invited to "come on down" and fill in where there were empty seats.

When ticket prices are low, people don't worry about buying tickets and missing some games.

When ticket prices are low, people don't worry about buying tickets and missing some games.
WBB tickets for the Gamecocks have been some of the lowest in the nation. Much, much lower than Tennessee, Uconn and ND, lower than Clemson and Duke, on par with Furman (single tickets). A lot of the big time programs complain our attendance figures are what they are due to "dirt cheap" tickets.

They don't have to pay that much for tickets and they don't have to pay for parking; they choose to have expensive seats and a short walk to the arena. I park on the street for free and walk a few blocks.
True you can choose to park and walk, my point was that five years ago even the parking decks were free

Hopefully no one will complain too much about this. It sucks for people that get moved but we should all be glad because this is the type of thing that comes along with winning. I remember after we won the baseball titles they changed the amount of free tickets faculty/staff could get and some people moaned and complained. Um, you like those trophies sitting out front right?
Just saying, the titles were won with lower ticket prices. And raising the prices did nothing to keep us winning.

Just saying, the titles were won with lower ticket prices. And raising the prices did nothing to keep us winning.
So your logic is whoever has the cheapest tickets will win the national championship? WTH? Mr. Spock says, "Your argument is highly illogical."

So your logic is whoever has the cheapest tickets will win the national championship? WTH? Mr. Spock says, "Your argument is highly illogical."
I had four reserved seats near half-court for WBB, but gave them up two years ago. I would've had to give them up this year due to the new seat premiums.

I'm saying charging higher ticket prices has nothing to do with National Championship teams. That's the University seeing demand and jumping on it by increasing the price due to fixed supply. V.I.K.I. states "My logic is undeniable." It's your interpretation that was lacking since I never stated my conclusion. My point was, simply this: What effect, if any does ticket price have on Championship teams? The answer is anecdotally "None"

strike while the iron is hot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT