ADVERTISEMENT

Question out there for you football gurus

lewk

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2009
I’ve been watching college football all weekend for the past three weeks. What are the most difficult passes to cover is the stop with back shoulder throw.

I don’t think I’ve seen one of these passes and routes run by us yet. Why not it’s one sure way to get open when you can’t get open any other way. Please reply with ideas besides just team bashing.

I’ve been watching college football all weekend for the past three weeks. What are the most difficult passes to cover is the stop with back shoulder throw.

I don’t think I’ve seen one of these passes and routes run by us yet. Why not it’s one sure way to get open when you can’t get open any other way. Please reply with ideas besides just team bashing.
It’s a darn good question and I don’t have an answer

I think back shoulder throws are usually a read-as-you-go call. In other words, the route can either be the regular route if the defender has a certain angle, but then back shoulder depending on coverage. I would say that requires a lot of trust in the receiver/QB decision making, and maybe we aren’t there with a largely inexperienced group. I don’t know, maybe that’s not how it’s done on this level, but that’s what it looks like to me.

It was actually the first play of the game vs Vandy. When Legette tried to come back for the ball the defender just flat out tackled him and did not get the PI flag! The announcers even said some stupid ish like “good job not getting the flag there”- but it was BLATANT PI! Which, JFTR, is one of the best things about that play. If you catch the defender playing the receiver and not the ball, it can lead to obvious PI calls... like the play we ran... but did not get the call. I was dumbfounded...

Reactions: DrMickey
I think back shoulder throws are usually a read-as-you-go call. In other words, the route can either be the regular route if the defender has a certain angle, but then back shoulder depending on coverage. I would say that requires a lot of trust in the receiver/QB decision making, and maybe we aren’t there with a largely inexperienced group. I don’t know, maybe that’s not how it’s done on this level, but that’s what it looks like to me.

Yeah I agree it’s more of a “Feel” thing . Drew Brees and Michael Thomas are one of the best at it . I think it takes a QB with enough experience to see the DB’s positioning . I think it just takes 100s of Reps and years of experience to get it down to perfection

I would say the biggest issue with that is putting our receivers in a spot to make a play is not our strong point with the exception of Shai. I think Hill is accurate in the short game but Bobo doesn’t appear comfortable calling too many pass plays beyond 10 yards. Not knocking Bobo. This is the most competent we have looked on offense since the Spurrier years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT