ADVERTISEMENT

Random Thoughts from the Sidelines: Clemson Curb Stomp Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impala_SS_Cock

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2001
'We want Spurrier! We want Spurrier! We want Spurrier!'

As a fight-marred game, and Lou Holtz's tenure as USC football coach came to an end in November of 2004, the chant resounded around Death Valley.

'We want Spurrier! We want Spurrier!'

Fast forward to November 27, 2010. As the last seconds of a dominating Gamecock victory ticked off the clock, the stark reality of a timeless adage became apparent: Be careful what you ask for, because you just may get it.

The 29-7 score of last night's game was not in any way indicative of the pounding that took place in Clemson last night. South Carolina manhandled Clemson in every single facet of the game. Offense, defense, special teams, coaching, cheering, cheerleading. Oh, and we dress better than them also. (Orange overalls? Fashion FAIL!)

For yours truly, this is the first time in my life that I will have the luxury of more than 365 consecutive days to savor a USC victory over Clemson. For all Gamecock fans everywhere, this was a night to celebrate. Today is a day to reflect on what this team has accomplished, and the wonderful early Christmas present they've given us.

On to the Random Thoughts...

- I knew for sure that our boys had shown up ready to play when I saw the look in Cliff Matthews and Pat DiMarco's eyes as they came out of the dressing room for the coin toss. DiMarco was absolutely intense. Ladi was his normal talkative self, but still seemed focused. Lanning was stoic as usual, but it was clear that all four were ready to whip the Tigers.

1107188271_6kryY-L.jpg

1107193271_MSXNr-L.jpg

- Below is your weekly 'Shawn Elliot: Madman' photo:

1107188798_QBf8D-L.jpg

- I am very happy that Brian Maddox was the player who fell on the fumbled snap when Clemson was punting. He's had a bit of a rough season with the emergence of Lattimore, and it had to feel good to him to make a big play against Clemson in his last chance at Death Valley.

1107192522_GR8NP-L.jpg

- How about Antonio Allen? Has he turned into a heck of a player or what? He is a fantastic example of a guy taking a couple of years to blossom in our system, but becoming an extremely productive player given time and good coaching. His pick 6 put the finishing touches on a great defensive effort, as well as an 0-2 football career vs. USC for Kyle Parker.

1107381047_sraCz-L.jpg

- Spencer Lanning also deserves a tremendous amount of credit for his contributions, not just last night, but for 2 seasons. USC fans worried that when Ryan Succop left, there would be no one to adequately replace him. I'd say Spencer has silenced those concerns. He's been a rock for us on special teams, and his (in my best Bob Fulton voice) hiiiiigh spiiiiraling punts last night gave our coverage guys time to get downfield and make a tackle for little gain.

1107387170_vhQzE-L.jpg

- Spencer's punt that rolled out of bounds on the 6-inch line was a thing of beauty. For some perspective on just how close that ball was to the end zone, here's a shot for you:

1107390232_ubt4S-L.jpg

- And speaking of Bob Fulton, I'll give Clemson credit for one thing. Just before the invocation last night, they made a classy move and recognized Bob for his contribution to college football and the USC/Clemson rivalry. It was nice to see a move like that coming from a hated rival.

- Since getting his shoulder harness off, Cliff Matthews has re-emerged as the defensive terror we all know and love. His big hit on Boyd last night was a thing of beauty. He had a few QB hurries, and batted at least one pass down as well. I can't believe we only have 2 more games to watch Cliff as a Gamecock.

1107203899_nHVyQ-L.jpg

- Late in the game a few Clemson students showed what their dream is, no matter what people may tell you.. Steve Spurrier as a Clemson Tiger.

1107394309_HjD9p-L.jpg

- I chuckled at the message here on the scoreboard. The home team hurried to the locker rooms, while the visiting team stayed on the field and celebrated long after the game was over.

1107393058_uoALL-L.jpg

At the End of the Day...
At the end of the day, it was a very, very satisfying win, and one that I'd normally be thrilled to end the season on. This season however, we have more business to attend to. I believe we can beat Auburn, and I know that our team will come out ready to play. No one has really stopped Cam Newton all season, but this Gamecock team seems to thrive on accomplishing 'firsts', so I won't count them out. Not by a long shot.

I'm looking forward to Saturday and our first ever SECCG. It should be fun.

One more note on Clemson:

It's absolutely amazing how these two teams have gone in opposite directions over the last 2 seasons. Last night we played this game the way Clemson has usually played this game over the past 30 years: knowing we were the better, more physical team, and going out and proving it for the world to see. And you know what? They better get used to it. Because just like SOS said last week; there are even better days ahead.

So remember to always be careful what you ask for.

'We want Spurrier! We want Spurrier!'

You wanted Spurrier? Well, Tigers... you've got him now. You've got more of him than you ever thought you'd get.

See you guys next week. Go 'Cocks!
This post was edited on 11/28 4:19 PM by Brian Shoemaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News