ADVERTISEMENT

Rattler practice video

Rivals rated him the top dual threat qb that year. He was ranked as the No. 1 dual-threat quarterback in the nation by ESPN Junior 300. Only 24/7 considered him a pro style qb.
My point was his throwing was good enough to keep him ranked first without factoring his running but you can run with the best of them.

Reactions: oakley51
My take on SR after watching some of the available media, as if my opinion counts for anything:
  1. Maybe "easiest" release I've ever seen
  2. Not as athletic as I thought he'd be, shifty but not fast
  3. Narrow frame, would be great if he could get to 210 lbs to play in the SEC but he will have to work for it. He doesn't really fall forward when taking on contact, and he doesn't slide enough.
  4. Very athletic hips and feet, scrambles with eyes downfield and can throw rolling to both sides, helps him be very accurate in quick game.
  5. Great mechanics in RPO
  6. Average on throws over 35 yds, still has the same "easy" release but it just doesn't carry at an elite level. You could see the difference in arm strength between him and Caleb Williams (who has a cannon). I know this is a tough criticism.
  7. People should take the benching at OU with a grain of salt, I won't go into the reasons why because it's a long explanation.
  8. He should be asked to play completion football and be ok with punts, no turnovers, and 24-35 points, we'll win a lot of games that way. OU asked him to force it down the field too much.

Only 24/7 had him as pro style, Rivals, ESPN and most other services had him as the No.1 dual qb
Okay, he still throws well enough to rank tops on 247 as a pro style. I already said that. I'm saying he's great without having to run and his running is elite. Why are you repeating yourself like that matters to me instead of trying to get my point?

Okay, he still throws well enough to rank tops on 247 as a pro style. I already said that. I'm saying he's great without having to run and his running is elite. Why are you repeating yourself like that matters to me instead of trying to get my point?
You keep saying "He was ranked as a pro style qb," and I don't think that is generally the case.

You keep saying "He was ranked as a pro style qb," and I don't think that is generally the case.
My point was that at least one service thought he was good enough at passing to rank him tops without even factoring his running, and he can still run. My entire point is any way you slice it, the dude has tools. He is elite in the pocket of running and that's usually not true with dual threats.

Edit: I did initially think all did but the second time I was referring to 247.

My take on SR after watching some of the available media, as if my opinion counts for anything:
  1. Maybe "easiest" release I've ever seen
  2. Not as athletic as I thought he'd be, shifty but not fast
  3. Narrow frame, would be great if he could get to 210 lbs to play in the SEC but he will have to work for it. He doesn't really fall forward when taking on contact, and he doesn't slide enough.
  4. Very athletic hips and feet, scrambles with eyes downfield and can throw rolling to both sides, helps him be very accurate in quick game.
  5. Great mechanics in RPO
  6. Average on throws over 35 yds, still has the same "easy" release but it just doesn't carry at an elite level. You could see the difference in arm strength between him and Caleb Williams (who has a cannon). I know this is a tough criticism.
  7. People should take the benching at OU with a grain of salt, I won't go into the reasons why because it's a long explanation.
  8. He should be asked to play completion football and be ok with punts, no turnovers, and 24-35 points, we'll win a lot of games that way. OU asked him to force it down the field too much.
>>> People should take the benching at OU with a grain of salt, I won't go into the reasons why because it's a long explanation.

JC, actually would really like to hear any thoughts you might have on that.

>>> People should take the benching at OU with a grain of salt, I won't go into the reasons why because it's a long explanation.

JC, actually would really like to hear any thoughts you might have on that.
Here's my thoughts on the benching:
  1. The fan boos and "we want caleb" chants over multiple games were stupid, their whole offense was underperforming (look at box score vs WVU as an example and look at rushing and receiving stats), but I think this killed his confidence and eventually boiled over in the Texas game where he was visibly frustrated, which you really can't have as the leader of the offense. I would've had a much worse reaction than Rattler, along with the majority of us not named Jesus.
  2. Caleb Williams is a really good runner, and the extra wrinkle was needed to jump start the offense. He definitely made some deep throws Rattler can't make, but overall I thought passing game wasn't much better with Williams in instead of Rattler.
  3. Rattler was asked to do a lot, anything less than 30 points for OU is a failure, I think he was forced to be overly aggressive, like the shootout against Tulane, and this made decision making look questionable. The offense was simplified for Williams because he's a freshman.
  4. Other than Stogner and Mims, I wasn't very impressed with the rest of the offense when Rattler was in. I know they're all highly regarded, I just didn't really see it early in their season.
  5. There's a silver lining, the process of getting booed and benched has to put things in perspective, it's not about you and your accolades, it's about playing for the brother next to you and giving your team everything you have. As my coach told me, glory is a horrible motivator. I think he handled the benching well, he was still ready when his team needed him in multiple games after Texas (and the 2pt conversion against Texas), the fact Stogner recruited him to USC tells me there's a capacity for leadership and camaraderie.
  6. OU would've been fine if you take away the boos and benching, Williams definitely saved the game against Texas, but he threw ~50% completion rate in losses to Baylor and OK State, games where simple completion football and valuing time of possession could've won the game.

Not a lot you can take from a practice session in short with no defenders BUT he has very obvious arm strength.

1. The fan boos and "we want caleb" chants over multiple games were stupid, their whole offense was underperforming (look at box score vs WVU as an example and look at rushing and receiving stats), but I think this killed his confidence and eventually boiled over in the Texas game where he was visibly frustrated, which you really can't have as the leader of the offense. I would've had a much worse reaction than Rattler, along with the majority of us not named Jesus.
  2. Caleb Williams is a really good runner, and the extra wrinkle was needed to jump start the offense. He definitely made some deep throws Rattler can't make, but overall I thought passing game wasn't much better with Williams in instead of Rattler.
  3. Rattler was asked to do a lot, anything less than 30 points for OU is a failure, I think he was forced to be overly aggressive, like the shootout against Tulane, and this made decision making look questionable. The offense was simplified for Williams because he's a freshman.
  4. Other than Stogner and Mims, I wasn't very impressed with the rest of the offense when Rattler was in. I know they're all highly regarded, I just didn't really see it early in their season.
  5. There's a silver lining, the process of getting booed and benched has to put things in perspective, it's not about you and your accolades, it's about playing for the brother next to you and giving your team everything you have. As my coach told me, glory is a horrible motivator. I think he handled the benching well, he was still ready when his team needed him in multiple games after Texas (and the 2pt conversion against Texas), the fact Stogner recruited him to USC tells me there's a capacity for leadership and camaraderie.
  6. OU would've been fine if you take away the boos and benching, Williams definitely saved the game against Texas, but he threw ~50% completion rate in losses to Baylor and OK State, games where simple completion football and valuing time of possession could've won the game.
Thanks much for sharing those thoughts. Hopefully we'll see him get his moxie back soon enough.

Reactions: johncockroach
I agree with this assessment. If he has a weakness it is when the pass rush is heavy. That leads to his frustration. But given time he has a great arm, does his progressions well and can be top flight.

Reactions: johncockroach
You know, our passing game is designed around the intermediate game and getting the check down in open space and working angles and coverage conflicts in the short game. If he can process the the play quickly, he'll do great for us. We still need another receiver stepping up to hit our roof, whatever that is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT