ADVERTISEMENT

Ray's letter from a clemson stand point

Yep, that letter comes every year.

That said, can we please beat Clemson in something? We had a stretch where we beat them in all three men's sports with regularity. That hasn't happened since Ray became the AD.

Bong...noticed you had to put "men's" sports in there. You know, there is a trophy now for our rivalry for "ALL" sports that we have WON both years, and are ahead this year. That also includes athletic GPA, which we have gained a point both years. Don't give me any "CRAP" about something not happening in Tanner's term as AD. He is doing what his job is!!!

Bong...noticed you had to put "men's" sports in there. You know, there is a trophy now for our rivalry for "ALL" sports that we have WON both years, and are ahead this year. That also includes athletic GPA, which we have gained a point both years. Don't give me any "CRAP" about something not happening in Tanner's term as AD. He is doing what his job is!!!
Give me a break. Wins in equestrian and Olympic sports don't mean squat to me or any other booster. Tanner needs to start beating Clemson in something other than GPA or volleyball.

Give me a break. Wins in equestrian and Olympic sports don't mean squat to me or any other booster. Tanner needs to start beating Clemson in something other than GPA or volleyball.

Actually, quite a few "boosters" care about these other sports. Who lead the nation in women's BB attendance. Typically among the nation's leaders in attendance at quite a few other sports too. What...does the AD set up mannequins in the seats. Maybe you should give a look at some of these other sports too. If you consider yourself a Gamecock, you pull for ALL the programs, and yes, ALL programs are Ray's responsibility.

Good lord. Athletic gpa? Bass Fishing? Tennis? Golf? Women’s basketball? Sorry none of that moves the meter. When he became ad we were a top 10 football program and dominating our rival. We have since bottomed out and are getting drilled every game against them. While they play for championships we get excited for being bowl eligible. He watched it burn. Dead horse is dying again but great coach terrible ad.

Vandervort | 1 hour ago

renfrows-61-yard-touchdown.jpg

I’m often asked by those who are not from the state of South Carolina on what is the difference between Clemson’s football program and South Carolina’s.

They have asked me, why has Clemson had so much success in football over the years, and why South Carolina has not?

My answer to them is simple. Clemson people have never been satisfied.

I bring this up because of the letter written by South Carolina athletic director Ray Tanner to Gamecock fans.

Obviously, I don’t know the reason for Tanner’s letter. I’m sure he has a very good reason for it. I’m sure he is showing his support for his head football coach. I don’t understand why he felt the need to do that just two years in Will Muschamp’s tenure.

Is he just reassuring Gamecock fans he made the right hire, or is he really satisfied?

While South Carolina seems to be satisfied with going to the Outback Bowl almost every year, its rival is heading to its third straight College Football Playoff.

The Outback Bowl—South Carolina’s fifth trip to the Tamp area bowl game since 2000—and the Capital One Bowl are perhaps the two best bowl games the Carolina football program has ever been to. Maybe back in the day the Gamecocks four appearances in the old Gator Bowl and the 2010 Chick-fil-A Bowl, were considered good bowls, too. But they have never played in what is considered one of the major bowl games or what we now know as the New Year’s Six.

A South Carolina football team has never played in a Cotton Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl or Rose Bowl. Now, technically, they have played in the Peach Bowl (a.k.a Chick-fil-A Bowl), but that was before the Peach Bowl obtained elite bowl status as a New Year’s Six Bowl Game.

As for Clemson, the Tigers will be making their second trip to the Sugar Bowl on New Year’s Day where they will play No. 4 Alabama as part of the College Football Playoff Semifinals. It will mark Clemson’s 12th appearance in what is considered a major bowl game.

If you want to go ahead and give the Gamecocks credit for their two Peach Bowl/Chick-fil-A Bowl appearances, then go ahead. However, while you are doing that, go ahead and add Clemson’s eight visits to that bowl game as well.

As I wrote the Sugar Bowl will be Clemson’s second appearance in the New Orleans’ based bowl game, while it has also played in six Orange Bowls, the Fiesta Bowl, the Cotton Bowl and two College Football Playoff National Championship Games, which the NCAA recognizes a major bowl game as well.

If you are doing the math that is 12 Major Bowl game appearances for Clemson and none for South Carolina.

Granted the Gamecocks have had some good football teams over the years. Georgia Rogers won the Heisman Trophy in 1980, they had the Black Magic Year in 1984, of course Steve Spurrier’s three straight 11-win teams (2011-’13) and the one SEC East Championship (2010).

But the program has not won a conference championship since 1969, and that was back when it was in the ACC. By the way, after Saturday’s third straight ACC Championship, the Tigers have now won 23 conference titles over the years.

That is the difference between Clemson and South Carolina, and not just right now, but always. While the Gamecocks are satisfied with another 8-win season, Clemson is playing for an opportunity to win another national championship.

Granted, Clemson has not always played for a national championship, but in the years they weren’t, they were not satisfied. If you don’t believe me, then ask Tommy Bowden, Tommy West and Ken Hatfield.

As for the years before the Danny Ford era, Clemson took their football very seriously and Carolina did not. Games at Carolina had always been as much a social event as a football game. In the modern era after Carolina joined the SEC, the path to a major bowl bid through the SEC was much harder than a walk through tobacco road in the ACC. The only legitimate challenge in the ACC was FSU. To put it another way, how many major bowl bids would Clemson have earned being in the SEC since 1993? With the teams we've had, especially the Spurrier years, I say we would have gained a few bids being an ACC member. If I'm playing you in an Archery shooting match and you are allowed to stand 10 paces from the bullseye while I have to stand 50, certainly you should get more wins.
All to often lately because of Swinney's recent playoff success our school and our program has come under attack as not being able to compete with the MIGHTY CLEMSON TIGERS which is a myth as big as telling the world the Earth is flat. Will Muschamp going forward has some payback owed to Dabo, and rest assured it's coming. I keep saying the only thing separating our ability to beat Clemson is two more good recruiting classes and this incoming bunch this year might be the first.

Reactions: ownCU
As for the years before the Danny Ford era, Clemson took their football very seriously and Carolina did not. Games at Carolina had always been as much a social event as a football game. In the modern era after Carolina joined the SEC, the path to a major bowl bid through the SEC was much harder than a walk through tobacco road in the ACC. The only legitimate challenge in the ACC was FSU. To put it another way, how many major bowl bids would Clemson have earned being in the SEC since 1993? With the teams we've had, especially the Spurrier years, I say we would have gained a few bids being an ACC member. If I'm playing you in an Archery shooting match and you are allowed to stand 10 paces from the bullseye while I have to stand 50, certainly you should get more wins.
All to often lately because of Swinney's recent playoff success our school and our program has come under attack as not being able to compete with the MIGHTY CLEMSON TIGERS which is a myth as big as telling the world the Earth is flat. Will Muschamp going forward has some payback owed to Dabo, and rest assured it's coming. I keep saying the only thing separating our ability to beat Clemson is two more good recruiting classes and this incoming bunch this year might be the first.

Your predictions don’t come true. Remember what you said on Kentucky’s board? Did you go back over there and eat your crow? Also, Clem was not supposed to be good this year according to you.

Actually, quite a few "boosters" care about these other sports. Who lead the nation in women's BB attendance. Typically among the nation's leaders in attendance at quite a few other sports too. What...does the AD set up mannequins in the seats. Maybe you should give a look at some of these other sports too. If you consider yourself a Gamecock, you pull for ALL the programs, and yes, ALL programs are Ray's responsibility.
Yeah, I remember the last time 80k people showed up watch a swimming meet. Oh wait...

Face it, a lot of these programs exist because Title IX, not because the fans care about them. I'm glad their doing ok, but that's not something Ray can hang his hat on.

Why should we be "thrilled" to be in the SEC? I'd rather be in the ACC and have an objectively easier path to the CFP every year.

If we were in the ACC during our 5-peat years we would have made a few BCS appearances and won at least one of them
Have expressed this before but indulge me please as I say Carolina should never have left the ACC. Because of geographical and other reasons we can't recruit to SEC standards on a consistent basis so we end up being like Vanderbilt, Kentucky and that other school in Mississippi.

Could someone link or post the letter from Ray that’s referenced?

Have expressed this before but indulge me please as I say Carolina should never have left the ACC. Because of geographical and other reasons we can't recruit to SEC standards on a consistent basis so we end up being like Vanderbilt, Kentucky and that other school in Mississippi.

Bullish/(). That cow college with fewer resources than us 100 miles away does it.

Can't, or won't? Last I heard we were still around 9th or 10th in recruiting budgets in the conference.
If we ever want to recruit higher than 8-10 in the conference we need to start with spending more on recruiting.

Bullish/(). That cow college with fewer resources than us 100 miles away does it.
The record speaks for itself. Clemson for 100 years has had better success in football. If they replaced Carolina in the SEC they would fit in. They are a football school in the SEC tradition, and Carolina is not. I have been married to a Georgia grad for a very long time and can tell you that she and her Georgia fellow alums fear and respect Clemson...Carolina they consider an automatic loss. Only exception was under Spurrier because they feared and hated him.

Vandervort | 1 hour ago

renfrows-61-yard-touchdown.jpg

I’m often asked by those who are not from the state of South Carolina on what is the difference between Clemson’s football program and South Carolina’s.

They have asked me, why has Clemson had so much success in football over the years, and why South Carolina has not?

My answer to them is simple. Clemson people have never been satisfied.

I bring this up because of the letter written by South Carolina athletic director Ray Tanner to Gamecock fans.

Obviously, I don’t know the reason for Tanner’s letter. I’m sure he has a very good reason for it. I’m sure he is showing his support for his head football coach. I don’t understand why he felt the need to do that just two years in Will Muschamp’s tenure.

Is he just reassuring Gamecock fans he made the right hire, or is he really satisfied?

While South Carolina seems to be satisfied with going to the Outback Bowl almost every year, its rival is heading to its third straight College Football Playoff.

The Outback Bowl—South Carolina’s fifth trip to the Tamp area bowl game since 2000—and the Capital One Bowl are perhaps the two best bowl games the Carolina football program has ever been to. Maybe back in the day the Gamecocks four appearances in the old Gator Bowl and the 2010 Chick-fil-A Bowl, were considered good bowls, too. But they have never played in what is considered one of the major bowl games or what we now know as the New Year’s Six.

A South Carolina football team has never played in a Cotton Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl or Rose Bowl. Now, technically, they have played in the Peach Bowl (a.k.a Chick-fil-A Bowl), but that was before the Peach Bowl obtained elite bowl status as a New Year’s Six Bowl Game.

As for Clemson, the Tigers will be making their second trip to the Sugar Bowl on New Year’s Day where they will play No. 4 Alabama as part of the College Football Playoff Semifinals. It will mark Clemson’s 12th appearance in what is considered a major bowl game.

If you want to go ahead and give the Gamecocks credit for their two Peach Bowl/Chick-fil-A Bowl appearances, then go ahead. However, while you are doing that, go ahead and add Clemson’s eight visits to that bowl game as well.

As I wrote the Sugar Bowl will be Clemson’s second appearance in the New Orleans’ based bowl game, while it has also played in six Orange Bowls, the Fiesta Bowl, the Cotton Bowl and two College Football Playoff National Championship Games, which the NCAA recognizes a major bowl game as well.

If you are doing the math that is 12 Major Bowl game appearances for Clemson and none for South Carolina.

Granted the Gamecocks have had some good football teams over the years. Georgia Rogers won the Heisman Trophy in 1980, they had the Black Magic Year in 1984, of course Steve Spurrier’s three straight 11-win teams (2011-’13) and the one SEC East Championship (2010).

But the program has not won a conference championship since 1969, and that was back when it was in the ACC. By the way, after Saturday’s third straight ACC Championship, the Tigers have now won 23 conference titles over the years.

That is the difference between Clemson and South Carolina, and not just right now, but always. While the Gamecocks are satisfied with another 8-win season, Clemson is playing for an opportunity to win another national championship.

Granted, Clemson has not always played for a national championship, but in the years they weren’t, they were not satisfied. If you don’t believe me, then ask Tommy Bowden, Tommy West and Ken Hatfield.
I didnt see anything about paying players and probation in their past in you post. That’s how they started their national prominence. Since then they’ve gotten smarter when getting their players. They are all in you know.

You are just distracting from the point of the post...and obviously don't even know what occurred at your school. Clemson old timers have long acknowledged that they were not going to put up with the 56-20 losses to SC as the reason why the renewed push in 75-81. It worked and got you a MNC and decade of "success".

I am sure that it must have come as quite a shock most likely being a devout follower of the fanboys at WCCP and the rest of the upstate media....where Clemson is God's college football team and they are the very definition of righteousness and goodness in the world.

Look just as obvious is the parallels between the two eras....Clemson is suddenly losing to SC, suddenly gets a large influx of players from across the nation for some reason when all logic would point to them having MORE difficulty recruiting not easier chances in beating the likes of FSU, UF, Alabama, UGA, Auburn, LSU, Texas for those schools instate talent....has Clemson been cheating AGAIN?

Well, you know the saying "...it wouldn't be the first time".

And the original post was about Clemson fans and their more aggressive dissatisfaction levels...just pointing out that it has lead to some seriously unsavory behavior from those fans in the past. Look up Roger McIntosh and Jeff Littlejohn...that was just a few years ago and involved Gaffney players getting "paid" for landscaping work at the Clemson headcoach's house and car loan help for one of the player's mother. In case some don't know Gaffney is 70 miles from Clemson but then who doesn't transport kids that far away to do yard work? What there aren't any kids in Pickens County to ride on a lawnmower? Ole Miss\Clemson were neck\neck for Treadway and Nkemdiche which are the recruits which lead to the Ole Miss debacle.

Jealousy.

From what I've seen, the general USC fan base is not satisfied with mediocrity but the administration likes to ride that wave and does some of the silliest things to promote our mediocre success (e.g., 80 ft banner of SOS pasted to the outside of WB...yes, our 3 eleven win seasons was impressive but did it result in a conference championship?). As for the raise to Muschamp prior to the clempson game, perhaps it was necessary to keep recruits in the fold and/or send a message to his assistance, who were entertaining the thought of going elsewhere, a show of support to build upon an 8 win season. I don't know, but we can only hope that the administration and BOT are starting to show they're not satisfied starting with them seeing the need for Muschamp to fire the OC.

Screw KKKlempson. Get a job and get off our board for a change.

Cheating at KKKlempson is not an accident....it's an obsession.

A bigger question is why are they constantly posting articles about USC on their site? They are getting ready to play in their third playoff, and they are obsessed with Ray Tanner?

Exactly....Clemson see's us improving and can't stand it. Absurd that anything we do, they try to compare it to what they do.

Venables, Scott, and Elliott are interviewing for promotion so Clemson's media will be in attack mode to distract recruits vision of the possible coaching changes.

Poor Sportsmanship from classless pro-Clemson media that was mocked by Miami fans last week.
The “cycling” theory.

The “cycling” theory.

No...the "mind your own business" theory....the Clemmer redneck fan boy media wrote an article about a letter our AD mailed out to boosters and alumni. Your media that is paid by Clemmer University does this quite often and it's rather petty and pathetic.

Last edited:
No...the "mind your own business" theory....the Clemmer redneck fan boy media wrote an article about a letter our AD mailed out to boosters and alumni. Your media that is paid by Clemmer University does this quite often and it's rather petty and pathetic.
Agree...does being in the playoffs not give them enough to talk about?

Agree...does being in the playoffs not give them enough to talk about?

Seems like they would be selling that to recruits and be above the petty tactics they employ. This seems to happen when our coaching staff is recruiting some of the same high school students they are. The last KJ Brent update must not have satisfied them so their true character is now on display.

he administration likes to ride that wave and does some of the silliest things to promote our mediocre success (e.g., 80 ft banner of SOS pasted to the outside of WB...yes, our 3 eleven win seasons was impressive but did it result in a conference championship?)

Everybody does that.

If we are jealous, then why are you on OUR board?

I post on a variety of board. This is just one of them.

The University of South Carolina, its management, the Board, alumni and fans have yet to realize that there in longer a rivalry with Clemson. Over the years, they have escalated the "rivalry" to a hate based propaganda war. It started with academics in the quest to get into the top tier of the US World News and Report list and it moved into the sports area with a vengeance, complete with their own radio station and publication, Tigernet. Every Clemson Tigernet share that I get on Facebook is usually demeaning to USC. I used to have friends that graduated from Clemson; however, at this time, I loathe them I really don't want to have anything to do with them. Until everybody understands this, nothing will change. There is no sportsmanship word in their vocabulary! It is war and hateful.

Reactions: Superior7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT