ADVERTISEMENT

Remember any of the old groups/bands that used to do ColaTown?

My biggest fan boy story is I saw a band at Elbow called FrogWings that was a band made up of of Butch Trucks, Derek Trucks (who was about 14 at the time) , Jimmy Herring , Oteil and Cofie Burbridge and Jeff Sipe . Jimmy , Oteil and Jeff were still in the Aquarium Rescue unit at the time . Incredible show . I met Melody Trucks (Butch’s daughter) at.a festival last year and she said she used to sleep in his Kick Drum Case on the road . Incredible show . RIP Butch .

Now that would have been a good show!

They both used to play at Greenstreets so much I would get them confused. Tootie and Jones/Hootie and the blowfish.
Old school shout out to Blightobody!

Zassoff Boys - saw them many times and at the Golden Spur. Great group.I think I saw them at The Second Level in 5 Points. I remember people dancing on tables for that show.

JImmy Buffett - I first saw him as a backup act to the Eagles in 1975 at Carolina Coliseum. First time he was on the bill with them and this year when they both played in Orlando he mentioned the Columbia show and said they helped him get started. I think I also saw him as a back up to the Doobie Brothers. I think Jimmy played a free show to start the school year at one of the athletic fields pre-1975. His wife Jane was a student at Carolina. They married and I heard she never got her degree. I've seen him dozens of times, most recently this year in Charleston and Charlotte.

Charlie Daniels Band - saw them as a back up act to another name band. Maybe twice.

Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker Band, KISS, Kenny Rogers, Rod Stewart, Steve Martin, Boz Scaggs, Billy Joel, BachmanTurner Overdrive. Saw all at Carolina Coliseum.

Mother's Finest at The Copper Door on Rosewood.

Bonnie Rait did a free concert on one of the practice fields by the old P.E. Center.

Captain Easy. Very cool to watch Ryan Monroe with Band of Horses these days. Also used to go see Josh Roberts a lot before he moved to Charleston.

Reactions: bcs bound
Zassoff Boys - saw them many times and at the Golden Spur. Great group.I think I saw them at The Second Level in 5 Points. I remember people dancing on tables for that show.

JImmy Buffett - I first saw him as a backup act to the Eagles in 1975 at Carolina Coliseum. First time he was on the bill with them and this year when they both played in Orlando he mentioned the Columbia show and said they helped him get started. I think I also saw him as a back up to the Doobie Brothers. I think Jimmy played a free show to start the school year at one of the athletic fields pre-1975. His wife Jane was a student at Carolina. They married and I heard she never got her degree. I've seen him dozens of times, most recently this year in Charleston and Charlotte.

Charlie Daniels Band - saw them as a back up act to another name band. Maybe twice.

Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker Band, KISS, Kenny Rogers, Rod Stewart, Steve Martin, Boz Scaggs, Billy Joel, BachmanTurner Overdrive. Saw all at Carolina Coliseum.

Mother's Finest at The Copper Door on Rosewood.
Jane Slagsvol

My biggest fan boy story is I saw a band at Elbow called FrogWings that was a band made up of of Butch Trucks, Derek Trucks (who was about 14 at the time) , Jimmy Herring , Oteil and Cofie Burbridge and Jeff Sipe . Jimmy , Oteil and Jeff were still in the Aquarium Rescue unit at the time . Incredible show . I met Melody Trucks (Butch’s daughter) at.a festival last year and she said she used to sleep in his Kick Drum Case on the road . Incredible show . RIP Butch .

I saw Derek play Al's Pumphouse on Poinsett Highway in Greenville when he was 12 years old. Don't know if accurate, but word was club owner, Al Crisp,had to get special permission or some sort of "variance" from the-then alcohol regulatory authority (ABC) for Derek to play there.

RHCP played at Rockafellas once. Steve Morse did a solo gig there. ( Dregs and Deep Purple for years).

I saw Derek play Al's Pumphouse on Poinsett Highway in Greenville when he was 12 years old. Don't know if accurate, but word was club owner, Al Crisp,had to get special permission or some sort of "variance" from the-then alcohol regulatory authority (ABC) for Derek to play there.

Al’s was an awesome venue!!! Have you seen Marcus king yet ?? That kid is gonna be the next great one . He’s insane .

Reactions: cockthehammer#
Al’s was an awesome venue!!! Have you seen Marcus king yet ?? That kid is gonna be the next great one . He’s insane .

Yes I have!! You're right...he's going to hit it big. I suppose you caught him on Late Night w/Conan O'Brien a couple of nights ago?? He's a nice, unassuming, well-grounded guy. If you have met him before & then run into him in a store or restaurant around Greenville, he'll recognize you & initiate a conversation!! His dad, Marvin was (is) a super-talented guitarist. Marvin was part of a really popular band in the Greenville area from the early/mid-70's known as The Fresh Licks. Another member of that band was Rickey Godfrey who, along with his brother Ronnie, later founded Garfeel Ruff. Something tells me you're probably familiar with most or all of what I've written here!! :)

Yeap I sure am . Marcus is a great kid . I meet him a couple of times at some festivals I was playing in South Florida . Such an amazing talent and so humble . So many talented Young players out right now .... Marcus , “Taz”, Reece Malone , “Kingfish” Ingram , Mattues Asato , etc etc .... gives me a small glimmer of hope for good music in the future . Marcus is gonna be a superstar !!!!

Reactions: cockthehammer#
This is in the sixties but The Epics were a popular local band. Made a record or two and became the Sensational Epics. The Swingin' Medallions were very good!

Certainly, James Brown was from Augusta but, I'm talking about some lesser names i.e.

Eddie 'Sweet Thang' Brown
Speed Limit 35
The SpongeTones
Doug Clark & The Hot Nuts
The guy who did ... the lady with the skinny legs

There about 7 or 8 that escape my memory.

1) mothers finest........(lived on rosewood or so it seems)

2) thermos greenwood & the colored people (r house)

3) bonnie (b4 she made it big:) intramural fields

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT