ADVERTISEMENT

Remember the Conway HS Football Boycott in 1989

LeeCICock1973

Aug 5, 2012
Florence, South Carolina
Good morning. When I was a Highschool Junior at Rival West Florence in 1989, I remember Powerhouse Conway HS Football Team having a Boycott in 1989 that put them on the cover of SPORTS ILLUSTRATED. That of course was when the Starter at QB who was African-American, was replaced with a White Kid who I think might have been the Coaches Son. I am not 100 % on him being the Coaches son but it led to BIG TIME DISSENTION on the Football Team and all the African-American players boycotting the rest of the season. Well POWERHOUSE CONWAY HS as you can imagine, didn't win many games after that. In fact, that was one of the few seasons my WEST FLORENCE KNIGHTS beat CONWAY HS in Football. LOL.....heck back then, West Florence would take a win any way they could get it......Boycott or no Boycott. Conway HS had a Great LB named Lawrence Mitchell who later played some for USC before knee injuries ended his career prematurely. If only all the African-American players would BOYCOTT CLEMSON the rest of this year and next, what a wonderful thing that would be . SPURS UP !!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News