ADVERTISEMENT

Report from behind the lines (KY)

PerchedOnRings

Oct 1, 2001
Matt Jones reported on his KY homer show that a KY coach last night, under anonymity, told him regarding the football program, "Man, things are looking great". He reports a "giddiness" around this year's Wildcat football team. They're saying they "have all the pieces", "won't be outmatched in any game" and "will definitely be better than last year", citing the RB & WR corps, the QB & the back 7 as strengths.

Just the messenger.

Last edited:
That kid Bennie Snell is a LOAD!
We will have our hands full

Kentucky is probably a decent team. A giant killer, I doubt it. They have to play teams in the SEC just like the rest.

I totally agree. Butch Jones recruits great but doesnt develop a complete team to win. I want to try to go to the Tennessee game so I hope we beat the socks on them so I have bragging rights with the wife. On a side note, the Barnett kid is really nice. Met him at a restaurant i work at and seemed like a good kid.
JMHO but I am more fearful of UK than UT...maybe even UF.

I just don't think UF can hide w/o that killer D
UT lost most all of their O w Kamara and the QB. They also lost Barnette on D.

IMHO I just don't see UK as being all that. I'm sure this coach is being optimistic and wouldn't expect him to say anything less about his team.
Most pundits see UK as a 6-6 or 7-5, that seems about right.
UK could be a very pivotal game this year for us, if we are 1-1 by game 2, it's essential to win this one before we get to the meat of our schedule

Reactions: debordieu cock
Matt Jones reported on his KY homer show that a KY coach last night, under anonymity, told him regarding the football program, "Man, things are looking great". He reports a "giddiness" around this year's Wildcat football team. They're saying they "have all the pieces", "won't be outmatched in any game" and "will definitely be better than last year", citing the RB & WR corps, the QB & the back 7 as strengths.

Just the messenger.
I will say their schedule lines up pretty well to have a good season. They get UF and UT at home along with Mizzou. Who Knows? I'd rather focus on US.

1) Why was the coach afraid to go on record?
2) How is that much different than every other teams excitement this time of year?

Just the messenger.

Todd Ellis reported on his GC homer show that a GC coach last night, under anonymity, told him regarding the football program, "Man, things are looking great". He reports a "giddiness" around this year's Gamecock football team. They're saying they "have all the pieces", "won't be outmatched in any game" and "will definitely be better than last year", citing the RB & WR corps, the QB & the back 7 as strengths.

It fits here too

Even when Kentucky is "good" they're still a very winnable game on our schedule.

We've choked up a few close ones lately when we have been bad

Just the messenger.
I follow KY a bit since I have a daughter there, but you have to keep things in perspective. They are NOT ready to go out and beat Bama or anything like that, and I don't think they are good enough to string together enough wins to actually win the East either. They still just aren't strong enough at the line of scrimmage to truly be a contender. But they do have a solid, dual-threat QB, a highly underrated RB in Benny Snell (he's as good as any in the SEC), and lots of returning experience at WR. So, I think they can score enough to make up for occasional lapses on defense.

I think 7-8 wins is realistic for them this year which would be another step forward, and I think they'll get another signature win somewhere along the way. Last year it was Louisville. This year it could be someone in the SEC they aren't expected to beat like Florida, Georgia, or Tennessee. Note that their SEC West draw is both of the Mississippi schools. So, they avoid all the firepower from that side of the league.

Reactions: wildcatwolverine
I follow KY a bit since I have a daughter there, but you have to keep things in perspective. They are NOT ready to go out and beat Bama or anything like that, and I don't think they are good enough to string together enough wins to actually win the East either. They still just aren't strong enough at the line of scrimmage to truly be a contender. But they do have a solid, dual-threat QB, a highly underrated RB in Benny Snell (he's as good as any in the SEC), and lots of returning experience at WR. So, I think they can score enough to make up for occasional lapses on defense.

I think 7-8 wins is realistic for them this year which would be another step forward, and I think they'll get another signature win somewhere along the way. Last year it was Louisville. This year it could be someone in the SEC they aren't expected to beat like Florida, Georgia, or Tennessee. Note that their SEC West draw is both of the Mississippi schools. So, they avoid all the firepower from that side of the league.
As I've posted on here many times, my daughter is a Carolina graduate so I keep up with your sports. I can't predict the future but that game is gonna be a dandy!

I'm focused on Carolina but can't really have any effect, up or down, on our Gamecocks or any of the teams we play. I am certain that we are a better team than last year and that the trend is toward better in the future. I'm not going to commit sepuku if we lose any particular game but will hope we win each one as they come along. Been actively doing that for 70 years and don't plan any changes.

It has taken many years to get accustomed to rivalries in the SEC rather than the ACC but one factor still remains. I want our Gamecocks to beat the crap out of Clemson every time in every sport but Clemson does not get to take up any mental energy that is better spent on the more meaningful things in life.

I'm focused on Carolina but can't really have any effect, up or down, on our Gamecocks or any of the teams we play. I am certain that we are a better team than last year and that the trend is toward better in the future. I'm not going to commit sepuku if we lose any particular game but will hope we win each one as they come along. Been actively doing that for 70 years and don't plan any changes.

It has taken many years to get accustomed to rivalries in the SEC rather than the ACC but one factor still remains. I want our Gamecocks to beat the crap out of Clemson every time in every sport but Clemson does not get to take up any mental energy that is better spent on the more meaningful things in life.
Many good points in your post

Just the messenger.
Kentucky brags worse than Clemson. Granted, they are better under Stoops than they used to be but they will certainly be outmatched a time or two this year. Remember when they came to town a few years back when Norwood played. Were ranked sixth in the land and had the most obnoxious fans ever to enter Willy B.

UK fan here, I've heard the preseason hype many times in my lifetime, and rarely does it come to fruition. However, I will say that if ever the stars were to align, this could be the year.

-17-18 starters back from a decent team.
-Vastly improved recruiting.
-UF, UT, UL, Mizzou, and Miss at home. If this is a contender, this is the schedule that we'd want to have.
-MSU and Miss our west draw.

I feel we will have a good team, but so many swing games on the schedule this year. Could end up 5-7 or 9-3 and neither would shock me.

Week 3 is a huge swing game for both teams, IMO. I'd have to give the edge to USC at the moment based on home field advantage, but who knows at this point.

Also, we have won a grand total of 1 games against UF and UT in the last 30 years, so I will believe we beat both of those teams in one year when I actually see it happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT