ADVERTISEMENT

Reports of the NFL's demise last season greatly exaggerated

ExpatCarolinian

Jul 25, 2016
Revenue up 10% versus previous year. Guess all the message board fans who lost their minds over Kapernick's protest don't have much influence.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
According to ESPN, viewership was down an overall 8% and that was 1.4 million viewers.
Yeah, but was it just TV viewers? That's the question we have to ask these days. With games available online and through smart TV and mobile apps (including Twitter), it's harder to get a true measure of viewership. I didn't watch one second of NFL on cable, but I watched several games every weekend.

Was attendance down?

Yeah, but was it just TV viewers? That's the question we have to ask these days. With games available online and through smart TV and mobile apps (including Twitter), it's harder to get a true measure of viewership. I didn't watch one second of NFL on cable, but I watched several games every weekend.

Was attendance down?
Agree, the rating systems have yet to catch up with the new technology. Not sure they ever will.

Viewership was down and you can put that stat up. There may have been good attendance but no one likes to mix politics with sports.

I know I didn't watch any NFL games. But, quite honestly I don't watch much NFL football regardless but the Kip thing really made me stop watching it altogether.

Revenue up 10% versus previous year. Guess all the message board fans who lost their minds over Kapernick's protest don't have much influence.

Read a Sports Illustrated story yesterday that said the best estimate the NFL has is that TV viewership was down a couple of points last year due to the flag protests. The total revenues may be up, but the protests cost them a hell of a lot of money. That's probably why Kapernick can't find a job now, even though he says his protesting is over. He's good enough to start for some teams and sure as hell is good enough to be a backup, but he may have played his last game.

You boycotted watching the Super Bowl, Freddie? If so, I admire your steadfastness.

I must confess I think I did check in from time to time to check the score. But if Kaperswhimp had been in the game I won't even have checked the score.
But, honestly I haven't watched a Super Bowl from start to finish in many many years. Or any NFL game for that matter. I just love college football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT