ADVERTISEMENT

Revolting development. Not what I wanted to see this morning over my coffee:

Well those who wanted cheating, here it is, we get caught immediately and who knows what the idiots at the NCAA will do, was it worth it?

Reactions: okccock
This report has nothing to do with the university doing anything wrong, unless I'm missing something. So they wouldn't be punished in that way. However, any wins in games played by players ruled ineligible after the fact could be vacated.

PJ Dozier took money. Wins will be vacated.

Bowen took money. He will never play.
Yeah, I didn't see that in the link. Hang onto that optimism though!

Edit: OK, I see you are referencing a separate story from the State that does mention PJ and Bowen : / Oh well, if this thing is as big as they say I can't really see us getting punished more than others

Last edited:
This is a nothing-burger. NCAA will figure out a way to punish USC and all the other "stuff" will be slide under the rug. It is a testament on why college athletes should receive some kind of payment along with tuition. Otherwise this money issue will continue in some form and we will have to ignore it like the NCAA does (ie KKKlempson, Auburn, and so on).

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Can we hope that PJ received his money after the final four and while he was evaluating his opportunity to enter the draft? That would explain why it was such a cut and dry decision, and why Martin and SC didn't seem to make any type of effort to persuade him to stay. At any rate, you would think that a kid whose father played in the NBA wouldn't need $4k from an agent but I guess you cannot underestimate greed.

Because this seems to be about agents (not schools), seems relatively widespread, seems relatively minor (other than Smith Jr), is somewhat redundant at this point, and (perhaps most importantly) also implicates Tobacco Road, I think there's a good chance the NCAA ignores this under the guise of the FBI taking the lead/cleaning things up for them.

Unfortunately it could hurt Bowen's eligibility since that was already a special circumstance.

Wow! Looks to me like a serious case of "Lack of Institutional Control" by the NCAA. They should be punished. :>)

But seriously, is it just the players and schools who will face penalties or are ASM and the other agents also at fault?

Reactions: Cock-a-Doo
Well those who wanted cheating, here it is, we get caught immediately and who knows what the idiots at the NCAA will do, was it worth it?

We just suck at cheating, but yes, if you feel we cheated to get Dozier. That Final Four run was worth it.

Oh come on now. You know some of our idiots will still run their mouths.

Are you sure you're a card-carrying & certified Tillmanite??

Can we hope that PJ received his money after the final four and while he was evaluating his opportunity to enter the draft? That would explain why it was such a cut and dry decision, and why Martin and SC didn't seem to make any type of effort to persuade him to stay. At any rate, you would think that a kid whose father played in the NBA wouldn't need $4k from an agent but I guess you cannot underestimate greed.

Perry Dozier never played a second in the NBA. You're thinking about Uncle Terry.

He has no control over his players. The constant dismissals from the program combined with this stinks.

Sorry, just calling it like I see it!

You need to be a little better informed before making these types of statements. Sorry , just calling it as I see it.

I would think we should recognize the fact that this report details the findings of an FBI investigation, NOT an NCAA investigation. The NCAA could decide to investigate all of these allegations but it will take them decades to follow up. The NCAA also does not have the ability to subpoena financial records and such like the FBI does. Unless someone comes forward and volunteers this kind of information, the NCAA cannot really catch people. They are really kind of a joke unless people get sloppy or someone rolls over on a school.

This is not a case of recruiting violations, impermissible benefits, or anything of that nature, so USC and Frank are clear of any wrongdoing. Unless something comes out that they knew and encouraged PJ to take money. The NCAA COULD certainly decide to vacate wins by any implicated players, but with the number of impacted schools, it would be really hard to do that.

Bowen is not necessarily out of the picture if USC/Frank want to still pursue him and get him on the court. Typically, when a player takes benefits and it is proven, I believe there is a process of suspension and such that allows a player to still compete. Seems like Todd Gurley was caught taking money before his final season and had to sit 4 games (some % of the season). I personally think it will be hard for the NCAA to punish this huge number of schools.

Kind of like how the police cannot stop all the cars exceeding the speed limit on an interstate at the same time. That said, we could always be the one car the police stops.......

I

Bowen is not necessarily out of the picture if USC/Frank want to still pursue him and get him on the court. Typically, when a player takes benefits and it is proven, I believe there is a process of suspension and such that allows a player to still compete. Seems like Todd Gurley was caught taking money before his final season and had to sit 4 games (some % of the season). I personally think it will be hard for the NCAA to punish this huge number of schools.

This is the part I don't understand. Bowen didn't take money, I think it was his parent. So, how can he be in trouble? Isn't that the same as NCAA making money from all the players and the players are not getting a dime?

Because this seems to be about agents (not schools), seems relatively widespread, seems relatively minor (other than Smith Jr), is somewhat redundant at this point, and (perhaps most importantly) also implicates Tobacco Road, I think there's a good chance the NCAA ignores this under the guise of the FBI taking the lead/cleaning things up for them.

Unfortunately it could hurt Bowen's eligibility since that was already a special circumstance.

My thoughts exactly. They won’t bring down Duke UNC and Kansas, so therefore we’re not looking at much at all in the way of punishment here.

This is the part I don't understand. Bowen didn't take money, I think it was his parent. So, how can he be in trouble? Isn't that the same as NCAA making money from all the players and the players are not getting a dime?
That was under the shoe company investigation....this is different.

Can you *IMAGINE* how long it will take the NCAA to pursue each and every case, should they choose to do so??!? They'll wrap it all up sometime in early 2319! Of course, I fully expect us to get slapped on Monday.
I don't think they can do anything right away for fear of jeopardizing the FBI investigation. This could drag on forever and hurt recruiting that long, not that it has been good.

This is what Bowen can say next year while we're on our way to the Final 4:

Aq3boYb.gif

:D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT