ADVERTISEMENT

Roper: I'm at a pivot point on him. Help Me

Poultry King

Sep 15, 2008
I see an O that's trying to be more dynamic. Just that things go wrong (3 INT) and hold them back.
Maybe finding a running game will help he and Jake be more dynamic.

Can't blame Roper for the INTs...Jake stared down Hurst on INT in the end zone, Jake/Edwards made the wrong read on the INT where we caused fumble, and Jake seemed to force the third one.

I DO BLAME ROPER for the 3rd & 1 then 4th & 1 fails. WE MUST find some creativity in these critical down and distance situations. Come out w something nasty that there is no film of you doing...
Taters a few years back came out in a funky formation...imagine this

split wide left: Young & Hurst blocking in front of Ortre

split wide right: Bailey & August blocking in front of Edwards

Stanley-Knott-Helms blocking for Jake and Turner...either can keep it.

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT 1-2 YARDS!!!

If they match 3-3 on outside we can run it in a 3 blocking 5 odds; or screen pass to the WR in a 1-1 match.
If they bring more people inside you throw it outside where you have numbers.

It's this lack of creativity and predictability that bothers me w Roper.
Continued development of OL and RBs will help him vastly.

There's no reason our O has to be so boring and unproductive. Teams all over the country are innovative, imaginative and PRODUCTIVE every weekend. We've been getting a little better over the last few weeks. Hopefully it continues/progresses.

Sad fact is that we are talking about having to get creative to gain a yard.
yes but give SEC Ds their due too.
Most Os can't simply line up...show 'em where its going...and then run it right where they load the D. You do it on 3rd...can't do it again on 4th

In this offense, the QB dhould be running more, but Muschamp will not let him. We have no backup

I see an O that's trying to be more dynamic. Just that things go wrong (3 INT) and hold them back.

Can't blame Roper for the INTs...Jake stared down Hurst on INT in the end zone, Jake/Edwards made the wrong read on the INT where we caused fumble, and Jake seemed to force the third one.

I DO BLAME ROPER for the 3rd & 1 then 4th & 1 fails. WE MUST find some creativity in these critical down and distance situations. Come out w something nasty that there is no film of you doing...

If they match 3-3 on outside we can run it in a 3 blocking 5 odds; or screen pass to the WR in a 1-1 match.

Roper is the scum I wipe off the bottom of my shoes onto my commemorative “Barack Obama is a Godless, Communist Heathen” doormat. Let’s never utter his name again.

To all those who blame Jake and all those who blame Roper week in and week out, it's the same ol thing "Roper play calling sucks or Jake throwing is off/high/bad decisions...Roper is Jake's position coach. Execution is a coaching issue. One time execution/mistake can be on a player but if it's habit then it's a coaching issue which either needs to be addressed by the coach teaching better mechanics and coaching a player up, or design plays where that player can execute at a more proficient level.

I find it hard to believe that under center the QB can't burrow his way for a yard despite how good the DL is. Failure to do so falls on the ability of the O more so than the ability of the D. Any push at all from the OL will result in a first down.

Reactions: vacock#
To all those who blame Jake and all those who blame Roper week in and week out, it's the same ol thing "Roper play calling sucks or Jake throwing is off/high/bad decisions...Roper is Jake's position coach. Execution is a coaching issue. One time execution/mistake can be on a player but if it's habit then it's a coaching issue which either needs to be addressed by the coach teaching better mechanics and coaching a player up, or design plays where that player can execute at a more proficient level.

Ewwww, the pumpers are gonna schedule you for readjustment. Get ready for, “Roper didn’t miss a block” “he’s running the offense Boom wants” “Roper didn’t throw an int” “Jake is still a young qb, he should only be a freshman” (how long is this excuse useable) “injuries have hurt us” ....etc

Last edited:
Reactions: drawplay000
There is no excuse for failing on a 4th and 1. If you get stopped you've been out coached. I don't blame it all on Roper sometimes Jake might check off to a bad play but not gaining a yard is unsatisfactory.

My problem with roper is more about qb development rather than play calling. Jake has awful habits of staring down receivers, throwing off his back foot, and hence throwing high constantly. Poor Brian Edwards has taken a beating bc of this. Do we really have no one other than Jake that can take a snap in a game at qb? Who is that on? Scarneccia has been here 3 years right? Where is his development? Play calling is one thing but bad mechanics will crap all over what would be a more effective offense otherwise. That is more my problem with roper.

My biggest problem with Roper is I'm hearing all this talk about how we've improved on offense and yet it isn't showing up on the scoreboard. That defense yesterday should have easily given up 35 points without trying.

Reactions: gamecock ed
If Roper remains, expect to be in the bottom half of the country in offensive production. Can we get where we want to go by doing that? I'm thinking not.

Reactions: 92Pony

you really don't need creativity to gain a yard. Now that it is legal to push the ball carrier forward. line up in the I and hand it off to 1 running back and let the other one push him through the pile. The least little surge would result in a first down. Better yet, just get under center and do a sneak, and let the running back push the QB one yard. Works the majority of the time. Either way, starting 5 yards back isn't always the best way.

Reactions: jimnasium
If Roper remains, expect to be in the bottom half of the country in offensive production. Can we get where we want to go by doing that? I'm thinking not.
So what you're saying is this was the 469-yard performance ever?

The offense SEEMS to be gaining a little confidence/continuity as of late but we'll know alot more in two weeks.

Josh Heupel would be a nice hire if we could wrestle away from Missouri.

Guys the bottomline is no matter what , he isn’t going anywhere . Muschamp isn’t firing a guy two years into his tenure , especially after he brought him back after sinking with him at UF . Like him or hate him , it makes no difference. He can blame lack of talent , injuries , youth and a million different things to protect his guy .

I find it hard to believe that under center the QB can't burrow his way for a yard despite how good the DL is. Failure to do so falls on the ability of the O more so than the ability of the D. Any push at all from the OL will result in a first down.
Not sure Jake has ever taken a snap under center. There is a big difference between taking the snap in the spread and from under center....the latter not being as easy as many try to make it.

yes, it's been frustrating, but...

in 100+ years of football, how many times have we been 7-3 with two games (and a bowl game) left to play?

after losing two of our best offensive weapons and a leader on defense

we have competed in the best conference in college football for the last twenty-five years

nothing much to brag about before our SEC membership, unless you count the steroid heyday

we were a total shit show two years ago

go cocks!

Reactions: rogue cock

It takes more than one person in TEAM success and failure. This blaming Roper is stupid. It's a TEAM failure in an unsuccessful EXECUTION of a play.

Not sure Jake has ever taken a snap under center. There is a big difference between taking the snap in the spread and from under center....the latter not being as easy as many try to make it.
Do you not watch our games? He has taken the snap from under center in multiple games. Not very often but from short yardage it has been effective. And when you say taking a snap in the spread are you referring to a shotgun snap?

I really believe in Muschamp. I believe he is an outstanding coach. For us and for him, it would be tragic if his success here were tempered, or even preempted, by an anvil around his neck. I'd give Roper another year to prove out. I would not go beyond that.

Reactions: lowcountry_cock13
Guys the bottomline is no matter what , he isn’t going anywhere . Muschamp isn’t firing a guy two years into his tenure , especially after he brought him back after sinking with him at UF . Like him or hate him , it makes no difference. He can blame lack of talent , injuries , youth and a million different things to protect his guy .
Then I guess we can get a 2 for 1 deal.on a.moving van in 2 years..

I have a bigger issue other then Roper...Is it me or do I not see any improvement with Bentley? He seems to be getting worse as the year goes on rather then better. He misses 4 or 5 passes a game that should go for big yardage. And Saturday's game was complete joke. If UF wasn't so bad we would have lost that game. smh...

Rogue, if that is the case, then shame on the coaches. I coached high school football for several years; we mostly ran spread. We still worked on under center, short yardage situations. I knew we may have a 3rd or 4th and need yard or a goal line situation.

Deterioration of Bentley is on Roper. I do not think it is a lack of film room work or attitude or teachability. At some point, his position coach has to take some blame for his regression. Seeing improvement in the line, in the RBs and in other areas. Not seeing any in offensive play at the QB. Not scheming our way to a victory.

Lots of people are going to be looking for jobs....like Kevin Sumlin, Butch Jones, Jim McElwain (my personal favorite). Pick one of them up to coach the offense and you will improve our team exponentially. Jim McElwain really was a great offensive coordinator for Bama and can get us to real SEC smash mouth football in a hurry....with MusChamp/TRods defense. The SEC East would be ours. We could become Bama-North.

MusChamp should hire him as a consultant now!

Rogue, if that is the case, then shame on the coaches. I coached high school football for several years; we mostly ran spread. We still worked on under center, short yardage situations. I knew we may have a 3rd or 4th and need yard or a goal line situation.
We’ve ran under Center this year

Just pointing out that even when we have a big day offensively, people will complain about the offense.
I hear ya. It was also against Dumpster fire Florida where so many opportunities we’re missed. I’m trying to be positive but some on here want to be happy with a bowl eligible football program and not look for areas of improvement.

Do you not watch our games? He has taken the snap from under center in multiple games. Not very often but from short yardage it has been effective. And when you say taking a snap in the spread are you referring to a shotgun snap?

I think this started after the UK game

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT