ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Hilinski must know something.

Talked with a Charleston Southern football player today. He said “the players there do not want to play.”

Talked with a Charleston Southern football player today. He said “the players there do not want to play.”

I have a really hard time believing that. Maybe they gave up on the season, but I find it hard to believe they aren't itching to go back out there.

Edit: Not doubting you personally kid, just the sentiment of the player.

Again, since no one could answer before...how many college athletes in the US have died from Covid?

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
It’s not about the number of deaths. It’s about giving the virus to someone else.

Good Lord man, I understand that. That’s ALL we ever hear over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over, Covid: a virus that has killed 0.04% of the US population—that’s less than one half of a tenth of one percent.

You still have not answered my question.

Right on USC01#. South Carolina has experienced 2,000 deaths over a population of 5,000,000. That works out to 2 deaths per 5,000 people.

Reactions: redrogers
Good Lord man, I understand that. That’s ALL we ever hear over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over, Covid: a virus that has killed 0.04% of the US population—that’s less than one half of a tenth of one percent.

So, if current models are correct and by the time the anniversary of the first acknowledged COVID-19 death rolls around and there's ten times the average annual flu deaths are you going to say the same thing? Good Lord man....

Reactions: Gamecockdvw
Interesting story about a high school in Paulding County in GA. North Paulding High School opened to in-person classes last week. Most might know about this, because a student at the school chose to take pictures with her phone, of the hallways between classes: they showed a hallway full of students elbow-to-elbow, with most of them not wearing any masks.

06virus-hallway-articleLarge.jpg

The student posted these online, and they went viral. The student ended up getting suspended from school, because she violated a school policy of not posting pictures of other students online without their permission, but a day or so later the school administration lifted the suspension, and let the girl return to classes.

Now, it seems that 9 people have tested positive for COVID-19 at the school - 6 students, and 3 staff members. The school will be closed for Monday and Tuesday - with the students going to online classes - while the school is cleaned thoroughly. Then Wednesday a decision will be made if the school will return to in-person classes.

Seems odd that with all the time for preparation for re-opening, that the school wasn't heavily cleaned to begin with, and if it was, I wonder how effective this 2-day cleaning will be. Nine infected in just one week of school is pretty bad - six of them being the actual children students is even worse...

Kinda gives us a glimpse of what re-opening efforts may look like for all schools and colleges....

So, if current models are correct and by the time the anniversary of the first acknowledged COVID-19 death rolls around and there's ten times the average annual flu deaths are you going to say the same thing? Good Lord man....

Haha current models? Haha...one of the models had over 2 million people dying in like the first six months. You can take your models and shove them up your you know what...

Should the goal be to find out?

Yep. Well, at least two of our players have stated that they want to play on Twitter as well as the QB from our arch rival. I guarantee the bulk of the players nationwide are ready to go. You must think they are f’ing morons as well...they have a better chance of dying on the field of an actual football injury than dying of Covid.

Last edited:
Reactions: redrogers

Why does someone else have to use Google for you? Look it up yourself.

Reactions: ddw1263
Yep. Well, at least two of our players have stated that they want to play on Twitter as well as the QB from our arch rival. I guarantee the bulk of the players nationwide are ready to go. You must think they are f’ing morons as well...they have a better chance of dying on the field of an actual football injury than dying of Covid.
Public health policies are not decided by college students, thankfully.

Reactions: ddw1263
Why does someone else have to use Google for you? Look it up yourself.

Ahhhh...another great answer. Because it’s ZERO. Why don’t you tweet back at Hilinski and Joyner and be condescending and tell them they are dumbasses for wanting to play?

ok, for the sake of this discussion let’s say “0”, what is your point? (Cause it looks like you don’t understand how pandemics work or viruses spread)

ok, for the sake of this discussion let’s say “0”, what is your point? (Cause it looks like you don’t understand how pandemics work or viruses spread)

I know how they work. Believe me that’s all we hear about now. All the other sports are currently playing (with the NFL starting in a few weeks)—like Trevor Lawrence stated, he wants to play because they would be under a certain protocol which is much better than the regular “joe” (like you and I) has—which is no protocol. Two of our players want to play (and I will guarantee most of our team will want to play—along with the bulk of the other players from the schools across the country) My point is, not one, not one athlete that is currently playing any sport (professional or collegiate) has died from this virus worldwide. They are not the folks to be concerned about. That is my point. All these leagues are currently playing and seasons are moving forward (fans or no fans in stands) worldwide. They just came out with the schedules and two days later now the rumors are they are cancelling? Players have been back since June working and getting ready for the season. Why the talk about cancelling now? If they cancel so be it, let’s just never play again since there is no guarantee (even with a vaccine) that you will not die from Covid.

Reactions: ownCU and CavDad62

When did we start measuring deaths in a crisis by percentage of the total population? What percentage of the population died in 9/11? Not that many - guess it wasn’t that big of a deal and shouldn’t have affected our behaviors after?

This is actually kind of freeing though - it means we can all chill because nothing really bad has happened in America since the Civil War. I mean, WWII deaths sounds bad when you say 419,000 Americans died fighting a war against the Axis powers, but it sounds a lot better when you say only .32% of Americans died in WWII. That’s not even half of one percent! Vietnam? .03%. Easy peazy.

This seems like an example of being able to use statistics to support any opinion.

Ahhhh...another great answer. Because it’s ZERO. Why don’t you tweet back at Hilinski and Joyner and be condescending and tell them they are dumbasses for wanting to play?
I want to see college football this season, buddy. And I'm sure that most players want to play. But I'm not in possession of all the facts and neither are you.

Nice try, putting words in my mouth. I don't think they're morons. I think they're college kids that feel invincible -- like almost all kids at that age. I was there too at that stage in life.

But there's also plenty of them that want to play that don't don't feel it's safe to yet. At least not without additional safeguards that they're lobbying for. And they've been pretty vocal about it.

Dang really ?
I can see that. At the smaller schools, there is prob 1-2 with NFL probabilities, the others are there for the free ride. So it comes down to
not play and go to school for free > play and go to school for free
Seems like an easy decesion

And if there was a game cancelled due to lightning strikes, would you say the same thing? What's the % of deaths for thunderstorms?

And if there was a game cancelled due to lightning strikes, would you say the same thing? What's the % of deaths for thunderstorms?
And it's not binary - life or death. You can have other problems, including chronic fatigue, organ damage or even hair loss. Those probably aren't likely for college kids but I'm not an expert.

And it's not binary - life or death. You can have other problems, including chronic fatigue, organ damage or even hair loss. Those probably aren't likely for college kids but I'm not an expert.
I read that Xavier Thomas had elected to redshirt this season, if there is one, due to issues from COVID and strep. Said he had breathing issues when he got back in the weight room and couldn't get back in football shape.

Last edited:
Reactions: polo-loco
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT