ADVERTISEMENT

Sandy's Famous Hot Dogs going out of business

I have to respectfully disagree with you here Freddie. MY wife makes the best chili. Maybe one day on our way to Bryson City we'll stop by and leave some of ours and try some of yours. Of course there's no way either of us would/could admit that the other's wife made better chili, even if it was, lol. On a different note, if you want to try the best hot dog in the world that's not made by either of our wives you don't have to go very far. There's a place in Brevard called Rocky's Grill and Soda Shop in the old Varner's Drug store that makes some of the best dogs I've ever had. And it's a cool place to visit apart from that. It's a vintage, iconic place that looks like it came straight out of the fifties. One side is the super cool diner and the other side has a pretty nice gift shop. If you haven't been there you should check it out.

Man, that would be a cool idea. Just drop in sometimes. I know where Bryson City is located, I went all of 2nd grade in Franklin, NC. One of my mother's cousins that lived in Franklin use to haul logs to Bryson City and I use to get to go with him on occasion. Being from Greenville it seemed like driving up Mount Everest from Franklin to Bryson City.

Anyway, be sure to drop by sometimes. Gamecock fans are always welcome at my house.

Reactions: importcock
If they had duplicated the famous "Skin's Hotdogs" of the Upstate no doubt they'd still be in business. I've eaten hotdogs all over the US but none compare to Skin's. The combination of fine ground chili and steamed buns seems to be indigenous to Piedmont dogs. Back in the day we called them beer joint hotdogs wrapped in paper and if the grease came through the paper and brown bag you knew it was a winner.

I grew up in Greenville and have eaten many good hotdogs in that area over the years. My wife's hotdogs are patterned after that philosophy.

Sam's Corner at the north end of Myrtle Beach was a big deal - hot dog-wise - for years. The original is in Garden City is still operating, and is still viable. The one on North's King's Highway was purchased by a different family and they ran it into the ground. They closed Sam's Corner there and say they are coming back with a different concept. Management is everything. Hot dogs there were once good, but on the expensive side.
Yeah not so much IMHO....we go to Garden City every summer and have for years. The last few times I have been there (over say last 20 years), the food has not been good & they absolutely cannot handle a crowd. Get ready to wait, and hope your order is right. And pretty bland too. They have cool signage that gets your hopes up that you have found some hidden jewel with the best food on the coast- only to disappoint.

I've been a Sandy's fan for years. 2 slaw dogs all the way with chips and a drink but I'm not surprised.

One by one, the quality and cleanliness of the stores got so bad, the only one I could trust was the one in Lexington.

I hope they publish their slaw recipe.

If they had duplicated the famous "Skin's Hotdogs" of the Upstate no doubt they'd still be in business. I've eaten hotdogs all over the US but none compare to Skin's. The combination of fine ground chili and steamed buns seems to be indigenous to Piedmont dogs. Back in the day we called them beer joint hotdogs wrapped in paper and if the grease came through the paper and brown bag you knew it was a winner.
Skin's is not that good anymore.

Never eaten a Super Chicago dog.
They put tomatoes and all kind of pickles on a Chicago dog. No good chili like we have. Kind of like what restaurants have done to burgers - put so much stuff on it you can't taste the meat and they can charge $15. I don't care for Chicago deep dish pizza either. I do love steaks there though.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I've been a Sandy's fan for years. 2 slaw dogs all the way with chips and a drink but I'm not surprised.

One by one, the quality and cleanliness of the stores got so bad, the only one I could trust was the one in Lexington.

I hope they publish their slaw recipe.

Sir a slaw dog is an oxymoron. DO NOT EVER PUT SLAW ON A HOT DOG. It's okay and quite acceptable to eat slaw with the hot dog but not on the hot dog.

They put tomatoes and all kind of pickles on a Chicago dog. No good chili like we have. Kind of like what restaurants have done to burgers - put so much stuff on it you can't taste the meat and they can charge $15. I don't care for Chicago deep dish pizza either. I do love steaks there though.
Chicago steaks = great.
Chicago dogs = good
Chicago deep dish pizza = sucks

I love a good hot dog, and wouldn't trade a good hot dog when I'm in the mood for a hot dog, for a $50.00 streak. But my wife makes the best chili and hot dogs in the world. If you are ever in this area you are more than welcome to drop in for a hot dog, french fries and a coke.
Freddie, are you willing to post her chili recipe or is a secret recipe?

Chicago steaks = great.
Chicago dogs = good
Chicago deep dish pizza = sucks

I have to agree with you on Chicago Steaks. One of the best restaurant steaks I have ever eaten was in downtown Chicago at a place called the Steak Joint. It was beside 2nd City, the Comedy Theater where many greats got their start, but a poster on this board told me it was no longer open. It was 25 plus years since I ate at that restaurant but boy it was a great steak.

I have to agree with you on Chicago Steaks. One of the best restaurant steaks I have ever eaten was in downtown Chicago at a place called the Steak Joint. It was beside 2nd City, the Comedy Theater where many greats got their start, but a poster on this board told me it was no longer open. It was 25 plus years since I ate at that restaurant but boy it was a great steak.
My favorite Chicago steak place is the Chicago Chop House. Many other good ones though.

Once ran into William Perry at Carsons in Chicago. Never seen a human being put away that many ribs.

I know the downtown location closed a few years ago, but appears that all are closing now. I remember going to the horseshoe location for lunch with friends. Supposedly, all locations will be closed by the end of the year. Sad to see.

There's a place on Main St. in Easley simple called JOE'S. Been in business for some 50 years. There is always 15-40 customers there. Outstanding hot dogs!!!

Damn, I hate that. I worked for the SCDNR for years before moving to Idaho. Most of that was on the Statehouse grounds. My wife was a research professor at USC during most of that time and we used to hit Sandy's a couple of times a month. They served a good hotdog.

I also heard that the Blue Cactus in 5 points is gone too. Sad times.

I once met a man who said, "Pizza, is like Sex. Bad Pizza, is better than No Pizza".

So, I asked him, Have you ever had Bad Sex?
"I sure have!" he replied.

How was it?, I inquired.
"Pretty Damn Good!!!"

Perry Cuda’s place was always good when I was passing through Summerville, but I can’t remember if I’d already read they are permanently closed, but they are.

City Billiard's in Aiken, SC is good.....they brag on "best cheeseburger you will ever eat", but it is horrible. Chili dogs are excellent if you are in town...

Sandy's had those 1/4 lb black Angus beef dogs with the shallow, top slice buns. Yes, they were a bit pricey, but they were the best in town because they used the best dogs. They even used to sell them in cases of 30 ct. I think. I'm a simple mustard, ketchup, and onions kind of guy. I think they are still open until the end of the year if you can catch them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT