ADVERTISEMENT

Saw some recent pix of work around W-B

Welcome to www.preebs.com. I guess you make the rules, eh?

IMO, Palmetto Trees around W-B isn't wise. They provide little shade and no color. And, I've seen plenty of Palmettos die/fail in Cola. Once you get west of about the river the sandy soil quickly becomes mixed with/or clay. Plus, most years Cola has ice and snow and temps in the teens. Some years, even colder. One or 2 Palmettos, fine. But from the pix I saw the are a lot. Makes little sense. If anything we need SHADE. Don't agree with me? Fine, I don't care.
I'm all for a variety of big shade trees myself.

The CIDP is my favorite tree. I've been thinking about getting a couple, but I know they're not quite as cold hardy as the others I've got. How big was yours when it was planted?
Small. The trunk is only at 2.5 feet, and I've had it for 4 years. Like I said, I wrap it with a frost blanket every winter, and I keep 300 white Christmas lights on the trunk. They're usually on a timer to activate nightly.

If I didn't do that, it would've died already. Also, whatever you do, don't plant it deep. I try to go half in/half out. A CIDP is a big zone push, so you'll have to be nearly perfect.

FWIW, I have seen a few on Lake Murray that are more mature, and I don't believe they get wrapped in the winter. There will be some damage if you don't, and there is a possibility of killing the tree altogether.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT