ADVERTISEMENT

SC BBQ Hash

Dukes BBQ in Orangeburg has very good hash. I live in Hickory Tavern/Laurens area and nobody has great hash in upstate in my opinion.
Not the restaurants. Since you're in Hick Tick and I'm just down the road in HP, I'll hit you up on here on our next cook if you want.

First of all, please accept a heart felt Thank You, my friend.

Ever since I first heard the word, I wanted one. Didn't know how to get one, didn't know what to put on it, even if I had one. But, now YOU have given me a purpose in life.
A Bucket List!

And, not only a Bucket List but a bucket list of all the hash joints in South Carolina.
Life is Good, God is Great but Good Hash is the Best!

You're welcome. Note that the listings and map will update automatically as I update the database, so it will always be as accurate as I can make it.

Best of luck on your bucket list. Keep me updated. Would love to hear about your experiences.

By the way, the often discussed Bar-B-Que restaurant located in Little Mountain, Cannons, is now closed.

Yep. Unfortunately, they closed a while back. Not sure you can find BBQ like theirs any more. Reminded me of Jackie Hite's (another lost treasure) with that strong yellow mustard taste in their sauce.

Discovered last year that North Carolina doesn’t have hash.

Nope. Hard to find anywhere outside of SC. Buxton Hall in Asheville does serve hash, but that's because Elliott Moss, the pitmaster, is from Florence.

I don't know if you made the state image showing who prefers what but
That light ketchup is far too east than it should be. Rock Hill is definetly either mustard or vinegar. I would stop before you get to York.
Vinegar is very popular in Columbia too so you probably should have a mix of 50/50. I'm dying for some Little Pig now after typing this.

Also, Charleston has some good vinegar places. The few years I lived in Charleston, not once did I go to a barbq place that their main sauce was mustard base.

As soon as you get into Charlotte... anyone that 'thinks' they know what hash is they will say... "Oh Brunswick Stew"

I'm still waiting for a place near Charlotte to actually HAVE hash.

I modeled the map after one that existed, but was too low quality to use, so I made my own. It is not a map of current favor, but what was historically served in those areas. Today, while there is still some regionality, you can find vinegar in the Upstate and red on the coast. By the way, our BBQ map will allow you to filter by the type of sauce served.

BTW, one of my buddies is truly creating a new type of barbq. I wouldn't call it vinegar, ketchup, or mustard. He grows carolina repears and makes it really a pepper base. Most amazing thing I've ever tasted and is right up there with Browns Barbq vinegar base.

I'm interested.

It’s called Brunswick stew where I get it here in Anderson at a barbecue place called creek side. excellent.!!

Brunswick stew is not Hash. Two different things. There are several types of "soups/stews" you can find at BBQ joints around the south. Obviously those two and in Kentucky they serve Burgoo. And shouldn't leave out Chicken Mull/Stew which is unique to SC and GA, I think.

Best in Midlands IMO - True BBQ in W.Cola. with honorable mention going to Carolina BBQ in New Ellenton. Both are similar with a slightly red color.

My favorite of all types though is BBQ liver hash. They serve it with red gravy at Rogers in Florence. I've never seen it outside the Pee Dee.

Best in Midlands IMO - True BBQ in W.Cola. with honorable mention going to Carolina BBQ in New Ellenton. Both are similar with a slightly red color.

My favorite of all types though is BBQ liver hash. They serve it with red gravy at Rogers in Florence. I've never seen it outside the Pee Dee.

I agree. True BBQ is among the best I have tried. Kind of like Ward's in that you go for the hash, not so much the BBQ, which is ok, but not the star of the show.

Red Gravy...tell me about red gravy. I actually grew up in Cheraw and I understand red gravy is a Pee Dee thing, but I have no memory of it.

Hanna Raskin actually just asked me about it after I gave her the hash info. She said she bought some and she thought is was like the sauce in Chef Boyardee without the pasta, but didn't want to form an opinion on one sample.

What can you tell me?

Hash is usually pork boiled, shredded,and seasoned with potatoes and onions and cooked down. At least that's the Laurens/Newberry way.
That's basically the way I do mine. I'd also add some of the same rub I'd use on butts and a little tomato sauce for color. About a 9 hour deal just for the hash.

Hanna Raskin, the food editor at The Post and Courier, recently reached out to me to see if I had a list of all the SC BBQ restaurants that serve hash.

I didn't, but I gathered the info and put it into the map on our site. Now, you can filter the results to show all the SCBBQ restaurants in your area that serve hash. (Just choose "Hash" from the Filter dropdown and click the "Find SCBBQ" button to show the filtered results.)

Well, that took me off on a hash tangent, and I have just published this lengthy (3100-word) piece on the subject.

It includes a look at the history of hash and the hash houses that were popular in the middle of last century, recipes for making hash and more, with a number of videos embedded as well.

I also added a hash-specific map and provided a directory of every place that serves hash, alphabetized by city name.

Still a work in progress and I will be polishing it up a bit over time, but if you're interested.....enjoy.

Best hash ever had n this state was ray leavers........north off hwy 21 or 321

Reactions: gamecockfan04
I have often heard of Ray's but never had the chance to eat there.[/QUOTE
It has gone with the wind.......a farmer, ray only served on the weekend, then ran n2 “issues” with the federal gvt...family ran it after, but needless to say it no longer exists.......I guess the cinder block bld may still stand?

Reactions: jroller
Dukes BBQ in Orangeburg has very good hash. I live in Hickory Tavern/Laurens area and nobody has great hash in upstate in my opinion.

We used to eat at Dukes a lot when my X was clerking for a judge in Orangeburg. Not bad BBQ. I really liked Sweatmans in Holly Hill, is that place still around?

Sconyers BBQ in Augusta had a great hash but I never liked their sauce; I believe that the best sauce is a basic apple cider vinegar, salt, crushed red pepper and brown sugar combination.

I agree. True BBQ is among the best I have tried. Kind of like Ward's in that you go for the hash, not so much the BBQ, which is ok, but not the star of the show.

Red Gravy...tell me about red gravy. I actually grew up in Cheraw and I understand red gravy is a Pee Dee thing, but I have no memory of it.

Hanna Raskin actually just asked me about it after I gave her the hash info. She said she bought some and she thought is was like the sauce in Chef Boyardee without the pasta, but didn't want to form an opinion on one sample.

What can you tell me?

I'm not well versed on what constitutes liver hash and red gravy but I once worked in Florence several days a week for a few months and really enjoyed eating at Rogers. The red gravy is not at all like pasta sauce. It's thin, spicy, and has a kick to it. It's served hot and usually at the end of the serving line next to the BBQ liver hash. I watched others ladle it over their hash and rice so I did the same. Sure glad I did.

I'm not well versed on what constitutes liver hash and red sauce but I once worked in Florence several days a week for a few months and really enjoyed eating at Rogers. The red gravy is not at all like pasta sauce. It's thin, spicy, and has a kick to it. It's served hot and usually at the end of the serving line next to the liver BBQ hash. I watched others ladle it over their hash and rice so I did the same. Sure glad I did.
Know exactly what you're talking about. I grew up in Bennettsville and would head to Rogers a couple times a month. Love the red sauce.

You're welcome. Note that the listings and map will update automatically as I update the database, so it will always be as accurate as I can make it.

Best of luck on your bucket list. Keep me updated. Would love to hear about your experiences.

Yep. Unfortunately, they closed a while back. Not sure you can find BBQ like theirs any more. Reminded me of Jackie Hite's (another lost treasure) with that strong yellow mustard taste in their sauce.

Nope. Hard to find anywhere outside of SC. Buxton Hall in Asheville does serve hash, but that's because Elliott Moss, the pitmaster, is from Florence.

I modeled the map after one that existed, but was too low quality to use, so I made my own. It is not a map of current favor, but what was historically served in those areas. Today, while there is still some regionality, you can find vinegar in the Upstate and red on the coast. By the way, our BBQ map will allow you to filter by the type of sauce served.

I'm interested.

Brunswick stew is not Hash. Two different things. There are several types of "soups/stews" you can find at BBQ joints around the south. Obviously those two and in Kentucky they serve Burgoo. And shouldn't leave out Chicken Mull/Stew which is unique to SC and GA, I think.

The hash at Buxton Hall is unlike any I've ever had. It's also the best.

I disagree.. Absolutely the best hash I ever had was that made by the Hickory Tavern Lions Club and sold every July 4th. It was a vinegar based half beef and half pork mixture with a very thick texture. I have eaten hash from all over the state and nothing touches it. Unfortunately they used these huge kettles at the school to cook it and when they needed replacement they discontinued it. I did get the recipe though..

I'm not well versed on what constitutes liver hash and red gravy but I once worked in Florence several days a week for a few months and really enjoyed eating at Rogers. The red gravy is not at all like pasta sauce. It's thin, spicy, and has a kick to it. It's served hot and usually at the end of the serving line next to the BBQ liver hash. I watched others ladle it over their hash and rice so I did the same. Sure glad I did.
Very interesting! Would love to try it.

Elgin Volunteer Fire Department south of Lancaster is having it's fall barbecue this Friday and Saturday - eat-in or carry-out, as long as it lasts. The crowds will be large in the evenings as both the barbecue and the hash are first class. Eat-in is all you can eat.

Last edited:
The first time I remember eating BBQ hash was at a Bryan Dorn stump meeting at his farm on the outskirts of Greenwood. I was just a kid and went with my dad who was a good friend of Congressman Dorn. I've read that early "hash houses" started by German immigrants had their origins around the Greenwood area. One recipe in particular was even called "Ninety-Six" hash. In Pickens County back in the 50's hash was much more common that pulled pork BBQ. When I worked as a bag boy at the Easley Bi-Lo I would eat next door at JK King's diner and order a BBQ sandwich. That sandwich was a BBQ hash sandwich. We rarely ate BBQ hash over rice but instead at my house we had it over grits and often for breakfast. My first experience with pulled pork came when I moved to Columbia to attend USC in the 60's. Back then you were more likely to encounter sliced or minced BBQ in Greenville and Spartanburg. If you order a "Slice" at the Beacon in Spartanburg today it's smoked pork cut in slices topped with a red relish sauce.

My preference in hash is the darker and less soupy variety. Although I love Shealy's for everything other than BBQ I'm not a big fan of their yellow hash that swims in it's own liquid.

Shealy’s to me has the best hash. And best buffet over all. But it’s kind of far out and I haven’t been in several years. Which is a good thing because I’m trying not to blow up like a blimp.

Shealy’s to me has the best hash. And best buffet over all. But it’s kind of far out and I haven’t been in several years. Which is a good thing because I’m trying not to blow up like a blimp.

Shealy's is the best and most varied country buffet in SC but their hash doesn't compare to True BBQ in West Columbia.

Know exactly what you're talking about. I grew up in Bennettsville and would head to Rogers a couple times a month. Love the red sauce.
Ah hell...no wonder you didn't know what I was talking about...lol. You grew up on that red stuff. Not my cup of tea at all. Dowds is WAY BETTER.

I disagree.. Absolutely the best hash I ever had was that made by the Hickory Tavern Lions Club and sold every July 4th. It was a vinegar based half beef and half pork mixture with a very thick texture. I have eaten hash from all over the state and nothing touches it. Unfortunately they used these huge kettles at the school to cook it and when they needed replacement they discontinued it. I did get the recipe though..
Man they couldve replaced those kettles for about 500 a piece at agrisupply. 90 gallons.

Willing to share? Working on a print version of the cookbook we released last fall and am adding in a lot of additional recipes.

The first time I remember eating BBQ hash was at a Bryan Dorn stump meeting at his farm on the outskirts of Greenwood. I was just a kid and went with my dad who was a good friend of Congressman Dorn. I've read that early "hash houses" started by German immigrants had their origins around the Greenwood area. One recipe in particular was even called "Ninety-Six" hash. In Pickens County back in the 50's hash was much more common that pulled pork BBQ. When I worked as a bag boy at the Easley Bi-Lo I would eat next door at JK King's diner and order a BBQ sandwich. That sandwich was a BBQ hash sandwich. We rarely ate BBQ hash over rice but instead at my house we had it over grits and often for breakfast. My first experience with pulled pork came when I moved to Columbia to attend USC in the 60's. Back then you were more likely to encounter sliced or minced BBQ in Greenville and Spartanburg. If you order a "Slice" at the Beacon in Spartanburg today it's smoked pork cut in slices topped with a red relish sauce.

My preference in hash is the darker and less soupy variety. Although I love Shealy's for everything other than BBQ I'm not a big fan of their yellow hash that swims in it's own liquid.

Lots of good info in this reply. I plan to go back in later and add in info about the VFD hash fundraising tradition.

They have red sauce at Shuler's, as well, but only get it every now and then. A bit too vinegary for my preference. Rogers is very good, but the best red sauce and liver hash I ever had was at the old Skeet's BBQ that closed many years ago. They had outstanding que, as well.

Except for the Revel's BBQ (from N. C.) Bennettsville area is vinegar based que. We have some very good fund raiser que made around here but not sold in a restaurant.

They have red sauce at Shuler's, as well, but only get it every now and then. A bit too vinegary for my preference. Rogers is very good, but the best red sauce and liver hash I ever had was at the old Skeet's BBQ that closed many years ago. They had outstanding que, as well.

Except for the Revel's BBQ (from N. C.) Bennettsville area is vinegar based que. We have some very good fund raiser que made around here but not sold in a restaurant.
Definitely. We used to do a pig picking every year

The secret is in the sauce to making a great hash and getting the right consistency. It is a slow process to make South Carolina hash but if its done low and slow nothing like anywhere else. Buddy and myself have been lucky enough to create a great hash recipe and people really enjoy it and say it's best they have ever had. Even got a Yankee transfer to try some one time and they liked it.

Hi there, App grad who stopped by to see what you guys were talking about the game tomorrow. In the 2000s I really got into regional foods. I was born in NC, but have lived in Myrtle for over 30 years now, and got interested in the reason I couldn't find Brunswick Stew in SC, but I could find it in NC, Va, and Ga.

And I liked discovering the different bbq sauces per region, and also discovered red gravy.

I recorded a SC PBS special on hash, and it was really interesting, talked about the Greenwood version, and the big 4th of July events, and the low country version.

There was also a moment when the filmmaker was in an old country restaurant that served hash interviewing the old black lady who was the chief bottle washer when James Brown, the Godfather of soul walked in the door. Apparently that was his go to spot for hash.

This is an article that was written by Saddler Taylor, who I think went to USC (maybe a professor?). It's a great read. Here's a link.

https://www.knowitall.org/document/south-carolina-hash-light-moon-digital-traditions

Here's to a great game tomorrow with no injuries.

Last edited:
Hi there, App grad who stopped by to see what you guys were talking about the game tomorrow. In the 2000s I really got into regional foods. I was born in NC, but have lived in Myrtle for over 30 years now, and got interested in the reason I couldn't find Brunswick Stew in SC, but I could find it in NC, Va, and Ga.

And I liked discovering the different bbq sauces per region, and also discovered red gravy.

I recorded a SC PBS special on hash, and it was really interesting, talked about the Greenwood version, and the big 4th of July events, and the low country version.

There was also a moment when the filmmaker was in an old country restaurant that served hash interviewing the old black lady who was the chief bottle washer when James Brown, the Godfather of soul walked in the door. Apparently that was his go to spot for hash.

There is an that was written by Saddler Taylor, who I think went to USC (maybe a professor?). It's a great read. Here's a link.

https://www.knowitall.org/document/south-carolina-hash-light-moon-digital-traditions

Here's to a great game tomorrow with no injuries.

Welcome. There is not much talk about this game tomorrow on the board for some reason? But I think everybody likes to talk about BBQ no matter where you are from.

I was stationed in eastern NC for three years in the USMC and there I found an affinity for eastern NC BBQ sauce, which I think is the best in the world. I do not like condiments added to the BBQ sauce, so this rules out western NC sauce because it contains ketchup and SC sauce because it contains prepared mustard. Alabama white sauce is the worst crap ever. Here in GA they have a ketchup based sauce that is disagreeable.

So about the game. You all have a good team but I think we are better and we will defeat you. Reasons: we are the home team, we have many more higher ranked athletes, we are desperate because we lost to a lot of inferior teams, we have better DL and OL, we can run the ball well and grind the clock out, you have better coaching but we have better athletes. We win in a close game in spite of our poor play calling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT