ADVERTISEMENT

SC Pro Am Day 1

C

Chris Gillespie

It's that time again, y'all! This year already feels very different with no Thornwell, McKie, Notice, and Dozier. While short on star power compared to recent years, this Pro Am definitely presents an opportunity to see the new guys who will be suiting up for Frank this coming season. With that being said, off to the show! Note---while the Pro Am releases it's own stats, I keep my own, and those are the ones I'll use in recaps. Kory Holden did not play as he continues to recover from surgery.

Day 1 PHOTOS

GAME 1 - Tommy Corchiani vs Frank Booker and Maik Kotsar

uwos8wftys6d1dupxocx

- Tommy Corchiani was my surprise guy of the night. A seldom used bench guy last season, Corchiani showed that he may be a little more like his dad than originally thought. He was aggressive on both sides of the court. Even at 6'1, he wasn't afraid to play under the basket when the situation called for it. Corchiani could prove to be a valuable bench guy who gets meaningful minutes depending on how well he plays defense. I'm not ready to say he'll be lighting up scoreboards anytime soon, but by his junior/senior year, Corchiani could be a regular contributor and fan favorite. Corchiani finished with 19 points (4-7 3pt) three rebounds and an assist.

hhfvvgbeodgtna4fop80

- Frank Booker is an intriguing situation. With South Carolina missing on several transfer targets, Booker quietly committed to the Gamecocks, transferring from Florida Atlantic, where he landed after transferring from Oklahoma. The Iceland native (who has a slight resemblance to Tony Parker) looked very comfortable in his first outing. Booker brings a very mature game to Columbia. At 6'4, he looks to be able to play both guard positions. He was very active on the court both inside and out, and is always looking to extend possessions. Booker's motor is always going. Rarely does he sit back and watch plays. He was quick to crash the boards and even helped to gain extra possessions for his team. His shooting is not the best, but his willingness and ability to finish at the rim will certainly be a welcomed addition from Frank and Co. He looks to be a solid contributor in his lone season with the Gamecocks. Booker finished with 11 points (1-6 3pt), 11 rebounds, one assist and one steal.

tham06xpbbozmczp12lx

- Maik Kotsar was a guy I was very interested in seeing. He was injured this time last summer, so I didn't get a chance to see him before the season began. Last season he was definitely the surprise player due to the fact he was so advanced for a freshman. While he doesn't look too different physically, he was way more comfortable on the court and gave a glimpse of the type of moves he's capable of. In a league not really known for defense, Kotsar showed a willingness to alter shots, and didn't back down, even against former Benedict and Australian pro player Marcus Goode (6'11, 300lbs). Kotsar was not scared to spot up from three. This allowed him to draw defenders out, and he would then put the ball on the floor and take it inside. Once he even showed a nifty Euro-step to get around the defender to score. Kotsar has always been a confident guy, and if his skills continue to develop, he could be the most improved player from year one to year two. Kotsar finished with 15 points (3-3 3pt) four rebounds and a steal.

GAME 2 - David Beatty and Khadim Gueye vs Chris Silva and Rakym Felder

x8dl7kyhyhsvxrgtxik7

- David Beatty is maybe considered to be the top get for Frank Martin in the 2017 cycle. It's easy to see why there's excitement over this kid. Beatty is a very aggressive point guard and is not afraid to take the long shot if it's there, but is also very capable of driving. He is above average when it comes to ball handling and passing, but his shot is more of a hot/cold scenario. His first couple of long shot attempts were way off the mark, but as he settled in he was able to knock down some good looks. Beatty even hit a 35-foot buzzer beater to end the half. I was really impressed at how well he handles the ball. That, combined with his quickness, gives him the ability to change direction on a dime which should make for some entertaining one-on-one matchups in the future. One interesting note...at one point Beatty was one-on-one with Chris Silva. Despite Beatty's quickness, Silva was able to stay with him step for step. Not bad for a big guy like Silva. If Beatty can develop a consistent shot he could be among the top point guards to come through Columbia. Beatty finished with 24 points (3-10 3pt) six rebounds and 3 assists.

az9n3wglsrrcw0ouwc2a

- Khadim Gueye Ok, I'll admit I've always had a soft spot for players like Gueye. It has the makings of the ultimate feel good story. In his first year, Gueye was used sparingly (and we all cringed when he got the ball in his hands). However, it can't be overlooked how important those minutes were from an experience standpoint. It was no secret that Gueye was extremely raw when he signed to play for the Gamecocks. However, as the saying goes...you can't teach height. Gueye showed glimpses Thursday night that he's on the road to becoming the player that we all hope he can be. He was much more aggressive than last year, and wasn't afraid to take on Chris Silva one-on-one. If he can continue to develop his touch near the rim he could approach being a double-double guy. He's still a little too slow on his moves to the rim and has a tendency to leave the ball unprotected. I do like that he's looking more comfortable. The game seems to be slowing down a little for him and that could mean increased minutes for him this season, especially if Silva has difficulty staying out of foul trouble. Gueye finished with 10 points, six rebounds, and block and an assist.

bh4nalxmeuqaazcgpr1e

- Chris Silva What can be said for Silva that hasn't already been said? He's easily the most athletic freak in the gym. His frame continues to fill out and his confidence is sky-high. The Final Four run may have been the best thing to happen for Silva. On the court, he looks like a man among boys. For the most part, Silva didn't really put forth 100% effort, opting to allow the new guys an opportunity. He settled for layins as opposed to thunderous dunks and was more willing to take open jumpers than drive to the rim. He did have two ferocious blocks that brought the gym to life on an otherwise quiet night. This looks to be Silva's year to shine. If he can overcome the foul difficulties than have plagued him, look out! While quiet by nature, it's obvious that he's taking on a leadership role. Silva finished with a "quiet" 32 points 18 rebounds, four blocks and a steal.

as5oawkihwkhkz3ecod5

- Rakym Felder is gonna drive Frank Martin nuts. As soon as he crosses half court, he has no problem taking the shot. Despite that, he sure is fun to watch. He's somewhat slimmed down, but has a build very similar to Duane Notice. I can't help but think Muschamp would love to find a place for him on the football team. Felder was all over the court. When matched up against a smaller defender, he had no problem breaking him down off the dribble and heading to the rim. He also had no problem taking shots from outside...and I do mean outside. His fearless, yet comedic style will continue to make him a fan favorite. I'd love to see him develop a running floater ala Devan Downey. Still, Felder will play valuable minutes, as long he doesn't upset Frank too much. Felder finished with 26 points (2-7 3pt), three rebounds and two assists.

GAME 3 - Hassani Gravett and Felipe Haase vs Justin Minaya and Jason Cudd

y4guafsb0vik0euc0unb

- Hassani Gravett The word I keep using to describe the South Carolina guys is aggressive. Gravett fits right in with that assessment. The confidence these guys are playing with is through the roof. While there are several talented guys on the court, Frank's players are easy to spot. Gravett just needs to translate his game to the SEC. On top of his ability to pass the ball, he's a very good ball handler and has the ability to hit the deep three, but he's yet to show he can do these things against top level competition. With Felder and Beatty, Gravett will have his work cut out for him if he wants to see significant minutes. The talent is there. He finished with 21 points (3-7 3pt), eight rebounds, five assists and a steal.

aviuam8xt367coqwhfsf

- Felipe Haase undoubtedly will be compared to Maik Kotsar, but honestly, that's a very unfair comparison. Not only is Haase two inches shorter, he's also more of an outside guy than Kotsar. Haase also is an above-average passer with very good vision. He's also a very good three shooter, knocking down his first two attempts of the night. The thing that is comparable to Kotsar, is that Haase is fundamentally advanced. He has a very mature look to him and should be able to be a major contributor this comes season. Haase finished with 17 points (4-8 3pt), five rebounds, and two assists.

wwb8knaxbn6gzerunzae

- Justin Minaya is an intriguing prospect. He has good size at 6'7, but will be a project for Frank's staff. He's a confident kid, but he's going to have to work on several aspects of his game. His outside shot wasn't falling, but he made up for it by demonstrating an ability to finish inside in traffic. It can't be overlooked that this is likely some of the better competition he's faced. I'll be interested to see how much progress he makes come Sunday. Minaya finished with 12 points (0-6 3pt), one rebound and one assist.

vlc3mqy8yaqshnmosjou

- Jason Cudd is every bit of seven feet. Like Gueye last season, Cudd will experience some major growing pains this year as he develops his game. Comparing Cudd and Gueye, Cudd is farther along in his development than Gueye was this time last year. Cudd has some nice post moves but has trouble finishing. He's not the most athletic guy, but he has deceptive speed when spinning toward the basket. I was impressed with Cudd's fundamentals when shooting free throws. I know it may not seem like anything important, but to me, it showed that Cudd is a fundamental guy which is nice to see for a big guy. Cudd finished with 12 points, five rebounds and two blocks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News